Topic: Halloween: The Many Faces of Michael Myers, Part 5

I know, I know.  Nobody likes this flick.  But no worries, this is going to be a short one...

Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995)

The masks:

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx332/LonTurner/Halloween%20Faces%20of%20Michael%20Myers%201/6masks_zps5064ced7.jpg

1. Sculpted by FX artist John Carl Buechler, the main mask seen throughout the film was a return to the "classic" Shape look after the monstrosity used in H5, but with a number of flourishes.  The ears are extended outward, the nose is larger, the head is wider, and the hair is more teased than in the previous films.  Color was added to the lips, and a thick, visible seam runs down the left side of the neck.  As in Halloween 5, several copies of the mask were made to avoid any inconsistencies.  But wouldn't you know it...

2. ...a pissed off FX artist (whose name has not yet been committed to record) decided to vent his anger by dousing almost every copy of the mask with chemicals inside and out.  Why did he do this?  That, too, has yet to be determined, but the film had a notoriously troubled production courtesy of Miramax's Dimension leg, who had purchased the Halloween distribution rights starting with this entry, and who all but took control from director Joe Chapelle, so it could have just been a matter of frustration with the dictatorial money men.  Buechler was able to salvage a couple masks, but the damage had already been done.  As you can see in the photo, the salvaged masks had a more pasty exterior due to constantly having to be touched up, though color differences are still noticeable.  Fortunately, the film had already completed principal photography by the time the masks were damaged.  Unfortunately, the film required a number of reshoots and Miramax wanted an entirely different ending (which became the theatrical cut), so this damaged mask appears here and there throughout the film, and is the primary mask used in the theatrical ending.

The actors:

1. George P. Wilbur (see article part 3 for photos).  With this film, Wilbur made history (of a sort) as the first actor to portray The Shape in more than one movie.  There's not much to say about Big George that I didn't already cover in part 3, but you may be interested to know that he wasn't the only actor to Shape up in this film.  The other guy was...

2. A. Michael Lerner.  Like Wilbur, Shanks and Warlock before him, Lerner was a seasoned stunt man with an impressive list of credits.  By the time Miramax decided they wanted a new ending, Wilbur had already finished his work on the film and was no longer available to participate, so they called in Lerner in his stead.  Oddly, Wilbur was available to stand in for the actor playing Dr. Wynn when the character is stalked by Lerner as The Shape.  Go figure. 

Unfortunately I was unable to find any real info on Lerner outside of his IMDB credits, nor could I find a single photo of the man.  Which raises the question, how is it a guy can appear in some 40 movies and a dozen TV shows without a picture of him ever making its way online?  I mean jeez, someone can upload a picture of Winston Churchill holding in a snart while wearing a polka dot string bikini, but but nobody's ever uploaded a picture of this guy?  Harumph!

And on that slightly irritated note, we come to the end of part 5.  Told you this one was going to be short -- which is not something I can say about the next entry (you'll see).  Until then, thanks for reading, and feel free to comment below -- especially if you have any Part 6 behind-the-scenes info, which I was able to find frustratingly little of.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9

Re: Halloween: The Many Faces of Michael Myers, Part 5

Awesome work Lon, watched this one yesterday too haha keep up the work I love it!

Still loving all the behind the scenes info, very fun read.

Thanks again, Lon. I realize now having read these entries that I'm about down for a re-watch of the entire series (with the exception of the first three installments). I'm not sure when I'll be doing that, but I'm sure it'll have to happen at some point. I barely remember these flicks, I'm ashamed to say! I do remember though that part 6 wasn't very impressive.

Also, John Carl Buechler has done some good stuff throughout his career.
And what kind of a douche-y special effects artist would fuck up production like that? Sounds like he could have taught a college film course, "Irresponsible Douchebaggery 101: How to Trash Props & Screw Up Your Film's Production". tongue

I dig Buechler's work for the most part.  Wasn't a huge fan of Friday part 7 as a movie, but damn if that wasn't a bad-ass Jason make-up Buechler pulled off.  So much detail...

As I said in the article, all signs point to the FX artist who destroyed the masks having been but one of many a crew member frustrated by Dimension's constant interference and dictatorial approach to production.  That's no excuse, obviously -- those masks take a great deal of time and effort to produce -- but I'm sure that if he hadn't done it, someone else probably would have. lol