Topic: The Jena 6

In these modern times I just assumed that this kind of segregation and racism didn't happen anymore.

Jena, LA September 2006 A black student asked permission to sit under a shade tree on Jena's High School Campus.  Jena is a predominantly white school.  The next day three nooses were found hanging from that same tree.  The students who hung the nooses were given a slap on the wrist.  Jena school officials considered it a joke instead of a hate crime.  Racial tension ran rampant through Jena High School with white students taunting and picking fights with black students.  Naturally nothing was done, no charges pressed, no school expulsions.  In December 2006 a fight broke out in the cafeteria between a white and black student.  The white student was one of a group that had continually taunted the black students.  The black students involved in the fight were are arrested and originally chraged with attempted second degree murder.  The charges were later reduced to aggravated second-degree battery and conspiracy to commit aggravated second-degree battery.  The first defendant to go to trail will be sentenced Sept 20.  He faces up to 22 years in prison.  And what about the white students who flashed weapons and threatened the black students?  Well they just get to go on with their happy lives.

So please help me to understand the double standard.  The last time I checked our skin color may be different but we all bleed red.  God made us in all shapes and sizes and COLORS.  I have never read in my Bible where we are not equal because of the color of our skin.

Does anyone have any idea why this kind of hate still goes on?

Re: The Jena 6

Its pretty sad,  they already have it on Wiki

Jenna, Louisiana

Jena highschool not where the noose were hung
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7e/Jenahs-tree.jpg/400px-Jenahs-tree.jpg

we've been doing stuff on this in one of my classes. people can be so ignorant

people = shit   big_smile

nice man... even though slipknot is overrated

This is beyond me.  Why people feel the need to judge someone by the color of their skin is something I'll never understand.  It's fucking bullshit.  Plain and simple.

yeah thats so uncalled for...we went through that shit at our high school we had most of the colored population were as the other high school didn't so there was fights going on between the two high schools...we also had the Klan come visit our school the one year that was scary I was afraid a riot was gonna break out...

I dont know exactly what went on but didnt 6 black students attack a white student, beat him unconscious, and continue to beat, and kick the kid while he was unconscious. Isnt that a hate crime, attempted murder? Its fucked up that some idiots put some hangman nooses in a tree, but what was worse?

Here is a update to me it depends all on how badly this kid was beaten up if it was severe he should do some jail time.

http://ksla.com/Global/story.asp?S=7077192

Court Throws Out Battery Conviction Of Black Teen Accused Of Beating White Classmate

Sep 14, 2007 05:01 PM CDT

A state appeals court Friday tossed out the aggravated battery conviction that could have sent a black teenager to prison for 15 years in last year's beating of a white classmate in the racially tense north Louisiana town of Jena.
Mychal Bell, who was 16 at the time of the December beating, should not have been tried as an adult on the battery charge, the state Third Circuit Court of Appeal in Lake Charles ruled late Friday.
Bell is one of six black Jena High School students charged in an attack on fellow student Justin Barker, and one of five originally charged as adults with attempted second-degree murder.
The charges brought widespread criticism that blacks were being treated more harshly than whites after racial altercations at their school.
He was to be sentenced this coming Thursday in a case that has brought international attention to Jena. Civil rights leaders, including the Revs. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, have been planning a rally in support of the teens that same day.
While teenagers can be tried as adults in Louisiana for some violent crimes, including attempted murder, aggravated battery is not one of those crimes. Defense lawyers had argued that the aggravated battery case should not have been tried in adult court once the attempted murder charge was reduced.
"The defendant was not tried on an offense which could have subjected him to the jurisdiction of the criminal court," the three-paragraph ruling said.
The case "remains exclusively in juvenile court," the Third Circuit ruled

Last edited by goldenwarrior (2007-09-15 10:52:14)

While we are on hate crimes I came across this article and it made me a little sick just reading about it.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/crime/newsom.asp

I don't condone the racially dispicable act of hoisting a noose in a tree.  The unfortunate thing for many is that our laws do not make that act illegal.  Whether the act is despicable or not is simply not enough to make it illegal.  A person could march in a Nazi uniform down the street and not be considered conducting an illegal act.  Our second ammendment rights concerning freedom of speech specifically address this. 

Our laws do have very definite things to say about assault and battery, however, and both blacks and whites have violated that clause of our legal system.  While I do agree that the charges of attempted murder are extreme, and it is obvious that the individual in question was likely due a good butt whipping, I have to ask the following question.  Did the black student that was beat up at the white party press charges?  If he didn't then isn't that the real reason behind why his case is not similary represented.  Perhaps racial angst was the reason behind the fact that the white supremisist jerk that got beat up did press charges, but he did so against a valid illegal act, and so the legal system responds.  The tendency to blow this into racial injustice on a national level is simply not very well founded. 

I will also say that I have witnessed close friends who have received aggressive treatment from the legal system concerning minor offenses because they had a bad history.  I know a guy who is now classified as a sex offender because he mooned a group of people at the lake.  He can't be around a computer for 10 freakin years!!!  I know someone who was on probation for a year because they allowed a guy to borrow her car and a golf club that was later used to beat up someone.  The individual had no clue what was going on!!  The legal system can be aggressive to anyone!!!  It isn't specific to race.  So, lets talk about these 6 kids.  Did they have a questionable history?  If they did, then they're more susceptible to aggressive legal consideration.  We don't see any of that information on the news do we?  Now that the racism engine is in full swing, however, we have very little chance of actually resolving anything.  The NAACP is going to fan the flames of hatred to keep money coming in for their cause.  Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson will be right up front blaming President Bush somehow for this.  The Democrats will be all fired up to make that happen so they can run off with the Whitehouse.  In the end, it is all of us that suffer because as long as this separation and hatred continue, and as long as there are organizations fighting for their piece of the pie rather than the good of the whole, we're never going to find any real answers.

George Thorogood - I drink alone

goldenwarrior wrote:

Its pretty sad,  they already have it on Wiki

Jenna, Louisiana

Jena highschool not where the noose were hung
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e … s-tree.jpg

I heard that "THE TREE" has since been chopped down.