Re: Halloween challenge

Forgot to post last night...

October 27th (Day 27) - Silence of the Lambs

Day 27: From Beyond; I had seen this once before earlier in the year, and freaking loved it. I was still itching for some Lovecraft and this fit the bill perfectly. Yuzna and Gordon add their own spin on the Lovecraft story, adding elements of sexuality to the mix. This movie had some amazing practical effects, and some really hilarious gross out scenes (like Prof. Tellinghast sucking out people's eyes). Overall a great movie.

^^^ Not to mention Barbara Crampton in leather panties.  Yes, please!

^Oh man, so good!

I like that Gordon and Yuzna tend to stick to the atheistic view of Lovecraft's work. A lot of authors add their own spin, some with religious or moralistic view points mixed in, or they don`t like the helplessness of Lovecraft's victims. Those I find to be key traits of his work, a cold unfeeling universe with cold unfeeling beings whose mere presence is enough to scour a sane man's mind.

October 28th (Day 28) - The Prowler (1981)

@Theli-
Exactly.  Lovecraft's vision was how insignificant we are, compared to ancient evils and such (and Plutonian fungus).  We try to fight against it, but it's like trying to fight El Hombre Howdy Capitano- it just doesn't work.

Day 28: The Dunwich Horror; I was still in the Lovecraft mood so I went with this old one (see what I did there?). This is a sort of strange Lovecraft adaptation, it feels more like the occult flicks of the time. The Dunwich horror itself is hardly seen throughout the movie, instead the scenes involving it are shown from its perspective, often with psychadelic camera effects. It's a fun movie, a nice tribute to Lovecraft, but quite different than the original story, which seems to be the theme with his movie adaptations.

Last edited by Theli (2013-10-29 01:49:38)

Day 29: Scream and Scream Again; this is one crazy movie. It features all the horror greats from the time, Lee, Cushing and Price, though Vincent Price is the only one with a significant role. The story is all over the place, vampirism, eugenics, mad scientists, murder, political corruption and communism are the themes for this movie, and despite the mismatch of themes it works. It's a really fun and intriguing movie.

kXnPunk wrote:

Mmmhhh, isn't Truth Or Dare the new movie coming out soon directed by Jessica Cameron??? Or is it a different one. Well I guess it is. Can't wait to see it though, she's an EXCELLENT actress and the trailer is just MAD!!!

[

Jessica Cameron is a yummy sweetheart! have my copy of her  film and a signed picture of her already ordered. she is also a valued FB friend of mine.

October 29th (Day 29) - Hellraiser

That movie is timeless, right a the peak of practical FX, same as The Thing.

October 30th (Day 30) - Hellbound: Hellraiser 2

Day 30: The Last Man on Earth; this is still the definitive film version Richard Matheson's I Am Legend. Vincent Price plays a believable Robert Morgan. The feeling of the film is generally bleak, similar to how the novella felt. A great movie.

American Psycho; this movie is always a lot of fun to watch, especially with friends. Christian Bale's Patrick Bateman is perfectly psychotic and way over the top. The director nails the sterile feeling necessary for this film. The ambiguous ending is pretty interesting but I wonder if it was due to poor editing. Doesn't really matter, it's still one of the most fun horror/dark comedies.

The ambiguous ending is right out of the book.  It's never said for certain if Bateman truly is a remorseless murderer or if it's all just in his head.  Regardless of whether he's an actual murderer or not, he's still definitely a couple stocks short of a NASDAQ.

BOOM!  Subject-appropriate metaphor!

Halloween: Night of the Living Dead; I've been watching a few zombie movies throughout the month, and felt this one needed a rewatch. It stands up remarkably well. This was the 1998 version with a new soundtrack, which I thought worked quite well with the film. The tension is high, and the violence is graphuic, the cannibalisim scenes and the scene when the daughter kills her mom are especially shocking. I imagine even more so at the time. The ending is a punch to the gut. Still quite possibly the best zombie film ever made.

World War Z; this movie wasn't too bad. I liked some of the concepts, a more in depth look at the zombie plague and seeing how the zombie virus affects people all around the world. But it was a little to happy for me. Not grim enough for a zombie movie. Also the zombie act like lemmings piling on top of each other an running off cliffs, which is kinda lame. Overall a decent modern zombie flick, but not as good as the classics.

October 31st (Day 31) - Halloween 2 (1981).  So it was for H-fest, but it still counts. big_smile