Topic: Why do directors set out to make horror movies with no horror?

You wouldn't believe the amount of trash I have seen, purporting to be horror when it's not.

Or maybe you can understand. LOL. big_smile

Yeah, you've seen those films too.

What baffles me is why directors make a horror movie with no scares. Surely it cannot be too difficult to throw in a few murders, or something, just to keep any film ticking along.

It's awful when supposed horrors have miles of dialogue. I mean, what is the point!!??

Re: Why do directors set out to make horror movies with no horror?

Unfortunately, a large number of horror films are by directors who only wish to use them as stepping stones to "bigger and better" things.  You get some guy fresh out of film school, he's clamoring to get his name out there, he signs on to some no-budget production with a barely-completed script, the film is released.  Now he's eligible for membership in the Director's Guild, which has minimum pay scales and other such perks.  He doesn't care that the movie is shit; he now has a directorial credit which, even if for a bad movie, gives him a much better position in the industry.

And on it goes...

I know just what you mean, apparently the "horror" genre isn't taken seriously anymore, guys think they can rush to their laptops, get on Microsoft Word, and type a 10 page script involving random nudity for the sake of random nudity, and 30 minutes of exposition and the "scary" scenes are over the top gore that tries too hard to look badass and just comes out looking lame.

Last edited by RawHeadRex (2013-10-27 16:08:39)

A lot of 'horror' movies these days are rated PG 13 and marketed towards teenagers, so I think it's safe to say it's mainly for financial purposes.

As sad as it is, some piss poor, teen marketed movie that only contains jump scares is going to make a lot more money than a good, real horror movie that leaves as lasting impression.

I don't give a shit about any of that stuff. I don't care if it's got scares or gore. I like when it does but it's not essential. I'm a film fanatic whatever is done with a camera, the best invention ever with electricity I love.

Yes I love EVERY damn thing. I'm a true fan. Not an annoying critic.

I still respect your opnions but I totally disagree with them.

And on it goes indeed, gimme more crap, I'm one of the too rare ones that still enjoy it. big_smile

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-10-27 21:22:53)

Scares (assuming you mean jumpscares) are what destroys modern horror, in my opinion.