Re: What R U Reading?

^^^
Buy reading glasses tomorrow. big_smile

I'm currently reading the Necronomicon: The Best Weird Tales of H. P. Lovecraft.

^^^
Stop doing the same as me!!! Mwahahaha lol

floridapossum, did you get those glasses???

I'm reading an indie book called Crying Shadows by P.L. DuPee. really creepy stuff.

Last edited by calamitylaureate17 (2013-10-08 19:12:06)

kXnPunk wrote:

^^^
Stop doing the same as me!!!

Sorry about that, I didn't even notice hahahahaha. A great book though isn't it?

^^^
Yes indeed, best one I've ever read truely.
Nothing beats it, not even Tommyknockers. smile

Lovecraft was certainly a master of his art. I've been meaning to read TommyKnockers for some time now, would you recommend it?

Definitely, it's one of King's best if you ask me. Very creepy.
If you liked Carrie, Shining, It and Christine, you'll dig it. smile

kXnPunk wrote:

Definitely, it's one of King's best if you ask me. Very creepy.
If you liked Carrie, Shining, It and Christine, you'll dig it. smile

Excellent! I can't believe I missed it..... Thanks for the suggestion!

^^^
No probs, ENJOY!!! smile

Damn I love Vampirella, she's my true Queen. Well aside HorrorQueen that is, of course. lol

Reading the first of the Vengeance Of Vampirella series. Damn she ROCKS!!! Great stories. Yup. my Vamp Queen totally. V''''V

http://www.comicvine.com/vengeance-of-v … 00-103409/

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_large/0/4/70411-11770-103409-1-vengeance-of-vampire.jpg

I read Mary Shelley's Frankenstein as a sort of horror tribute for this October. All I can say is that it's a phenomenal book. The story is solid and without holes or loose ends, the writing is eloquent, and its very easy to breeze through it with enjoyment. As much as it is horrific, it is also very despairing. I'm very glad to have finally read this classic...worth a re-read in the future, for sure. If you haven't yet read this masterpiece of fiction, I recommend doing so in the near future!

And now onto..."The Basic Writings of Bertrand Russell", currently a philosopher I have great interest in. smile

Good to hear Creature, I read Frankenstein a couple o fmonths ago and absolutely loved it.

Just started Doctor Sleep.

Bought Day of The Triffids yesterday

I have never watched any of the screen adaptions or the book before so thought it would be a good one to pick up. I figured that it would be a story that is most effective when reading as opposed to watching it, as your imagination can probably come up with more scary images than onscreen, where the creatures would look a bit silly compared to your own imagination.

Red Dust The Fall - Ben Dixon Sam Campbell

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FRFLSY0/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

A very well put story full of great characters.

Cosmos-Sparrow

A book about Space. Not Horror you say??? Well lemme tell you, the informations about the Universe in this are absolutely frightening. ESPECIALLY the Black Hole and Big Bang chapters. Incredibly cool book full of insanely gorgeous images. Nothing like that to fall asleep to before going into Nightmare Nothing Land full of Succubi and Evil Demonical creatures. big_smile

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lawfguzAkz1qaq6oko1_400.jpg

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-11-09 05:54:37)

^ I like that cover. Looks like a pretty intriguing read, Punk!

I stayed up until 2:30 this morning finishing up Timothy Leary's 1968 book, "High Priest". This was a very interesting and FUN journey into the early psychedelic explorations/experiments of the early 60's at the infamous Millbrook Mansion. The book contains in-depth descriptions of 16 trips (each chapter is a trip, complete with a guide, and an I-Ching excerpt as a brief introduction of sorts) featuring trips taken by Tim Leary with poets, philosophers, psychologists, etc. Some of these people include...William Burroughs, Allen Ginsberg, Arthur Koestler, Huston Smith, Aldous Huxley, Alan Watts, Dick Alpert, Richard Metzner, and Robert Gordon Wasson. Included are early classic clinical research experiments with hallucinogenic chemicals psilocybin and LSD-25.

I gotta say it - I love Tim Leary. He's fun and entertaining, as well as enlightening and mentally-stimulating. He's the only evangelist I've ever appreciated. And he really does go all-out evangelical at times in this book. Which, for the revolutionary social period of the 60's counterculture, is understandable. Leary even admits openly to the grandiose and idealistic illusions of his and others' thought processes concerning the psychedelic movement in the 1995 foreward edition of the book. Anyway, if you're interested in 60's counterculture literature, and find Tim Leary an interesting figure, I recommend reading this.

I just picked up Edward Lee's The Chosen. This is my first Lee novel, so far I am not 100% convinced by his writing style. It seems really simple. But I am only 30 pages or so in, and I do find the story intriguing. Also this was an early book of his, I won't write him off even if this book doesn't agree with me. Want to read his Lovecraftian work, I just don't own any.

Design For Dying by Timothy Leary (With R.U. Sirius).

Been wanting to read this book for awhile, as I thought I would find it pretty interesting. And wow! I was correct. Even though the book isn't all that lengthy (it's about 240 pages), I still read it within just two days time. This was written by Leary in his final year of life as he was battling prostate cancer. In it he takes "a revolutionary new look at the dying process" and gives us a new positive, optimistic outlook on the "final act" of our lives, and how we can make our final moments a more joyful experience for ourselves and loved ones, as opposed to the traditional melancholic dreary that surrounds the orthodox death-performance by most people in the world. Leary talks about cryonics and showcasing his death on the world wide web, but ultimately ends up throwing a house party for his death. Which he follows up with being cremated, having his ashes attached to a rocket, and then shot up into outer space (courtesy of Celestis Corp.). Now that's a way to go out with some style!

Leary also gives us a quick and interesting overview of his 8-Neurological Circuit Model for Human Psychology. Also included are his thoughts on The War on Drugs, breaking the taboos of the death experience, exploring some options for what happens to one's body after they die,  exploring future scientifically supported possibilities for achieving immortality, his support for Kevorkian & euthanasia, and finally a large addendum is found in the back of the book which contains many eye-witness accounts of Dr. Leary's last days in which his family and friends share their memories and lessons of him.

As always, his book is brilliantly written with stimulating word-play and a healthy dose of optimism. "How you die is the most important thing you ever do. It's the exit, the final scene of the glorious epic of your life. It's the third act and, you know, everything builds up to the third act". - Tim Leary

Wow, looks insanely cool. And I'll grab it soon, thanks for that The Creature. I dig the guy and I dig Death, she's one of my best friends so reading his thoughts about it sounds like a true blast. big_smile

kXnPunk wrote:

Cosmos-Sparrow

A book about Space. Not Horror you say??? Well lemme tell you, the informations about the Universe in this are absolutely frightening. ESPECIALLY the Black Hole and Big Bang chapters. Incredibly cool book full of insanely gorgeous images. Nothing like that to fall asleep to before going into Nightmare Nothing Land full of Succubi and Evil Demonical creatures. big_smile

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lawfguzAkz1qaq6oko1_400.jpg

Everything’s relative. Stars and then Supernova’s turned electrons and protons into basic elements and seeded the universe. We are made out of toughs things found on that periodic table. And if we weren’t made we wouldn’t have bad dreams. So therefore: no horror without star dust.

True and I think a Black Hole is the freaking scariest thing ever mad and it's kinda part of a star if we think a big wider.

http://timeandlies.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/tumblr_m51k5wawcw1rt46zco1_500.jpg

I know it's not a horror book, but I checked out "12 years a slave" from university library and it is a tremendous read

Ahhh whatever if it's Horror or not, it's not called What Horror book are you reading is it??? lol

Re-reading one of my ALL times favorites, the fantastic NEUROMANCER by Gibson. The birth of Cyberspace and Cyberpunk really.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m56oixqfeA1qbaom0.jpg

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-11-15 07:49:52)

kXnPunk wrote:

Wow, looks insanely cool. And I'll grab it soon, thanks for that The Creature. I dig the guy and I dig Death, she's one of my best friends so reading his thoughts about it sounds like a true blast. big_smile

Cool P, glad I could turn you on to some worthwhile reading material. "Neuromancer" still on my Amazon List. Not sure when I will be picking that up, but I will at some point!

Just finished up, "War and Peace in the Global Village" by Marshal McLuhan. It's a short book, but there's certainly no shortage of substance or thought. Here many recognizable McLuhanesque media/communications concepts are introduced, including: Media as extension of man's nervous system, phonetic literacy, the rear-view mirror, emerging technological innovation creates man-made environments, all technology is self-amputation (phantom pains) and a few more.

I can't say I fully understand even half of his concepts. lol
McLuhan is probably more difficult to understand that quantum physics. At least for me as of right now. I'll be researching him a lot more in the upcoming days...so I can feel at least somewhat better. Good book though...very interesting, lots of cool (now vintage) media pictures from television/newspapers.

^^^
Yeah that Phantom Pain is ultra weird. One of my friends had these, he was missing a hand... The body is a very strange thing. H3LL the whole human thing is... lol