Re: Just out of interest

The Epitome of Fear wrote:

Asian Horror creeps me out more.  I have been watching way more lately thanks to Mike.  Seems like I can't get enough.  I can actually get "scared" watching Asian Horror.  And I find myself not liking remakes after I have seen more orginal Asian Horror because it seems to loose something in translation.

I agree the remake of The Grudge & Dark Water in my opinion was bad...that's because maybe I saw the asian versions first.

The american version of the Ring was ok..not that bad...it was really different from the original japanese version. Both were equally good.

i have to agree with Epitome Asian horror creeps me out way more then our north american horror. But I find alot of asian films are the same old hash as well. Welcome to the site Magsdoom smile

Meh wrote:

i have to agree with Epitome Asian horror creeps me out way more then our north american horror. But I find alot of asian films are the same old hash as well. Welcome to the site Magsdoom smile

Thanks for the welcome big_smile Meh

Goon wrote:

Something that I think accounts for everyone thinking Asian horror is so great is that you see everything that the country puts out that is good enough to make it here to the states.. Trust me they make just as many shitty movies as we do.

That's actually a really good point.  I've seen Ring, Audition, Ichi the Killer, The Hypnotist, Versus, Wild Zero, The Untold Story, Dr. Lamb...all great Asian genre flicks, all of which have at some point been released in the states either theatrically and/or on DVD/VHS.

But I've also seen Another Heaven, Blue Jean Monster, Freeze me, Peacock King, Dark Waters, and so many more...all of which left a hell of a lot to be desired.   

And it's the same with US films over there -- they don't see every film we make, just the really popular/successful films.  They've seen The Exorcist, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Dawn of the Dead, Friday the 13th.  But have they seen Valentine, or Lunch Meat, or The Howling VI?

I'm sure that in a country of a billion people, chances are good some of them have.  And I can only imagine that if they have, they're saying the same thing about our films that we're saying about theirs -- yeah, some US horror flicks are great, but not all of 'em are the best thing since sliced bread.

Very good point, Goon, and one probably easily overlooked.

The one that disturbed my the most was Dumplings.  I mean I have never eaten Asian dumplings and after that movie I don't think I ever will.  That was some messed up stuff.