Topic: One day horror marathon

It's not quite what you think. I am going to try to cram my whole day with horror filled randomness. Here's my list:
Watch a horror movie
Watch an episode of a horror tv show
Watch and independent horror short (suggestions welcome)
Read a horror novel (probably just a couple chapters)
Read a horror comic
Read a horror short story
Read an article on horror
Play a horror video game
Listen to horror music
Continue writing article on horror
Continue writing horror story

And so it begins...
Starting with 28 Days Later, a film I don't really remember enjoying much, but plays a part in the article I am working on.

Last edited by Theli (2013-11-21 01:13:35)

Re: One day horror marathon

more flesh to devour

Re: One day horror marathon

Polished off 28 Days Later, it was much better than I had remembered. Character do some dumb shit here and there, but it's well acted and very suspenseful. I think they must have taken some cues from Frank Herbert's the Fog.

Been reading Vampire Boy today too. It's a graphic novel all in glorious black and white. It's an interesting twist on the vampire myth, while Vamp Boy hates the sun, it is actually what gives him life. He just wishes he was dead.

About to continue reading Ed Lee's the Chosen (very disturbing so far) and listen to some Goblin.

Last edited by Theli (2013-11-21 14:17:04)

Re: One day horror marathon

I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember 28 Days later was pretty good. If I'm remembering right it was filmed in an artsy style which I'm usually not a fan of, but I think it worked for this movie because it made it unique from the tons of other movies in the zombie/rage virus genre.

Re: One day horror marathon

Theli wrote:

Polished off 28 Days Later, it was much better than I had remembered. Character do some dumb shit here and there, but it's well acted and very suspenseful. I think they must have taken some cues from Frank Herbert's the Fog.

And a lot of cues from Romero's Dead trilogy.

1. Main hero mistaken for a "zombie" (though they're not zombies in 28DL): Night of the Living Dead.

2. Plundering a grocery store: Dawn of the Dead

3. Killing a "zombie" child while stopping for fuel: Dawn of the Dead

4. Maniacal military captain leading rag-tag team of sex-hungry soldiers: Day of the Dead

5. A "pet zombie" in chains: Day of the Dead

6. Maniacal military captain meeting his end at the hands of the freed pet "zombie": Day of the Dead

28DL is a good flick and I enjoyed it, but I'd have appreciated it more if they had at least recognized the Dead Trilogy in the credits.

Re: One day horror marathon

Damn good plan Sir!!!

May I suggest reading the 30 Days Of Night comic??? ESPECIALLY the Dead Space ones, awesome art, awesome story...

http://www.comixology.com/30-Days-of-Ni … eries/7326

Re: One day horror marathon

LoudLon wrote:
Theli wrote:

Polished off 28 Days Later, it was much better than I had remembered. Character do some dumb shit here and there, but it's well acted and very suspenseful. I think they must have taken some cues from Frank Herbert's the Fog.

And a lot of cues from Romero's Dead trilogy.

1. Main hero mistaken for a "zombie" (though they're not zombies in 28DL): Night of the Living Dead.

2. Plundering a grocery store: Dawn of the Dead

3. Killing a "zombie" child while stopping for fuel: Dawn of the Dead

4. Maniacal military captain leading rag-tag team of sex-hungry soldiers: Day of the Dead

5. A "pet zombie" in chains: Day of the Dead

6. Maniacal military captain meeting his end at the hands of the freed pet "zombie": Day of the Dead

28DL is a good flick and I enjoyed it, but I'd have appreciated it more if they had at least recognized the Dead Trilogy in the credits.

I just finished work on the first two parts of my article which featured a more thorough look at 28DL. And I mention a lot more about the Romero influence, though not the specific scenes that you pointed out. Good eye sir.

kXnPunk wrote:

Damn good plan Sir!!!

May I suggest reading the 30 Days Of Night comic??? ESPECIALLY the Dead Space ones, awesome art, awesome story...

http://www.comixology.com/30-Days-of-Ni … eries/7326

Been wanting to read 30 Days of Night for a while, but they never have volume one at my local book store.

Also just read a couple more chapters of The Chosen. People were killed, lobster tails were eaten, someone masturbated with a piece of asparagus and good times were had by all.

Last edited by Theli (2013-11-21 15:22:35)

Re: One day horror marathon

Theli wrote:

I just finished work on the first two parts of my article which featured a more thorough look at 28DL.

Looking forward to reading it.  Are you submitting to the main site or putting it here on the boards?

Re: One day horror marathon

I'll just post it here. It might be a bit, I have some movies to re-watch, and stuff to research.

Edit: Just polished of a cool article in an old Dracula magazine released around the time of Copolla's adaptation. It was about all the lost versions of Dracula. Including sections omitted by Stoker himself, like one involving Harker encountering a female vampire on the way to see Dracula, which was later adapted into the short story Dracula's Guest. Also included were stageplays that were never filmed, screenplays that were never adapted, and even multiple missing and deleted scenes from Browning's version including Lucy's staking and decapitation and Dracula filling boxes with earth.

Last edited by Theli (2013-11-21 16:22:40)

Re: One day horror marathon

Well there are "other" ways to get it. lol

And woah, sounds awesome that article. Look forward to read it, sweet. smile

Re: One day horror marathon

So here's what I achieved before midnight tonight:

I read a short story by Ramsey Campbell call A Street Was Chosen, this was my first by him. Pretty damn cool, not exactly a short story, more of a fictional experiment performed in your normal everyday neighbourhood.

I followed this up with a watch of the most recent episode of the Walking Dead. It's great to see the Governor again.

After that my bro and I played a couple of rounds of Left 4 Dead. I never really find the game scary but it gets my heart pumping. Despite how old it is now I still think it looks good. I love the work that went into creating the levels.

After this I went down to my buddy's place to watch some movies. We popped in Athropophagus which to be honest we were only paying half attention to, but enjoyed nonetheless. The over the top cannibalism scenes near the end make it all worth while.

At this point I hadn't watched any shorts, so the next best thing I figured was 26 of them, it was easy to convince my friends to watch the ABCs of Death, one of which had watched it with me before and loved it. It's a lot of fun to watch in a group.

And finally writing my horror story. I didn't make it before midnight, but I have spent the last hour and a half typing away at it.

Overall a pretty decent success.

Last edited by Theli (2013-11-22 02:48:15)

Re: One day horror marathon

^^^
Damn sounds like a true blast my friend.
I despise the Gov so freaking much, I hope he'll die, yeah hate him THAT much. lol
I bet it was freat to see ABCs with a gang. I miss these days, don't have enough friends for that. roll

Seems like you got quite some good times, thumbs up!!! smile

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-11-22 07:42:44)

Re: One day horror marathon

Very cool, will have to try something like this!

Re: One day horror marathon

Theli wrote:

Polished off 28 Days Later, it was much better than I had remembered. Character do some dumb shit here and there

I am looking forward to your article as well.  I hope you expand on that ^ as I'm not sure what you mean and would be curious to read some examples.

I love 28 Days Later.  One of my faves.

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2013-11-22 17:29:37)

Re: One day horror marathon

Sounds like you had one awesome, horror-themed day, Theli. Nicely done...I ought to read more horror shorts.