Re: gothic movies like 1992 Dracula

I will do my best to define what I consider "gothic" :

Gothic films actually get their name from gothic literature.  Most gothic literature is from from 1800s but it can be from earlier and even modern novels as well.  The most well known and loved gothic novels are Bram Stoker's Dracula and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.  A few other examples include Wuthering heights, The works of Edgar Allan Poe, and H.P. Lovecraft.  Gothic novels and movies are usually about some sort of tragedy that centres around a supernatural force such as Vampires, Ghosts, and Monsters. 

Gothic films are usually set in a Castle, an old mansion, or an isolated village.  The feeling is dark and moody with graveyard scenes or mist rolling in.  A feeling of isolation and despair.  The stories are usually based on some sort of ancient folklore or mythology.  Usually there is a damsel in distress and a hero to rescue her.  Almost like an adult dark fairy tale.  Tales of tragedy and loss, mystery and horror, and sometimes even science gone wrong.

^^
Gothic is what DG says it is.  If you have a problem with that, you can take it up with Sylvester the Strong...

https://sites.google.com/site/vervemonkeyproject/Home/images/web-images/Monkey_Sylvester_the_Strong.jpg

edit- much like Lon tames sharks to his crotchal powers, DG tames definitions to her will.  (And don't get me started about Thursday lunches...)

Last edited by azathoth (2013-11-19 11:36:26)

Very excellent description of gothic fiction, DirtyGirl. Vasquez list should be a good starting place for anyone who wants to explore the genre in film more thoroughly.

^^
Isn't it nice to have experts in pretty much any sub-genre?  I'm a mere hack compared to a whole lotta people here.

Forgot to mention Whip and The Body from 63.

DirtyGirl wrote:

I will do my best to define what I consider "gothic" :

Gothic films actually get their name from gothic literature.  Most gothic literature is from from 1800s but it can be from earlier and even modern novels as well.  The most well known and loved gothic novels are Bram Stoker's Dracula and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.  A few other examples include Wuthering heights, The works of Edgar Allan Poe, and H.P. Lovecraft.  Gothic novels and movies are usually about some sort of tragedy that centres around a supernatural force such as Vampires, Ghosts, and Monsters. 

Gothic films are usually set in a Castle, an old mansion, or an isolated village.  The feeling is dark and moody with graveyard scenes or mist rolling in.  A feeling of isolation and despair.  The stories are usually based on some sort of ancient folklore or mythology.  Usually there is a damsel in distress and a hero to rescue her.  Almost like an adult dark fairy tale.  Tales of tragedy and loss, mystery and horror, and sometimes even science gone wrong.

A way better description than mine really!!! lol

Good job...

Thanks for the input everyone.  Vasquez' list is quite substantial though I really don't know where to begin.  I am wary of the early movies for I fear they may be too corny for me.  Not that I'm writing them off completely, I don't know since I've never seen them.  The Pit and the Pendulum looks interesting.  Have any recommendations for ones that you think are especially good?  Any recommendations for the Lovecraft movies?

^^
For Lovecraft movies-

Dagon (2001)
Castle Freak (1995)
The Unnameable (1988)
The Dunwich Horror (1970)
The Call of Cthulhu (2005)
Necronomicon: Book of the Dead (1993)
The Whisperer in Darkness (2011)
Lurking Fear (1994)

And for a Shaun of the Dead type Lovecraft fllm-
The Last Lovecraft: Relic of Cthulhu (2009)

You forgot Curse Of Cthulhu... big_smile

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478988/

^^
Um, Punk, go click on my Call of Cthulhu link.
(Hint, you got the name wrong) tongue

^^^
Oh duh. More coffee please. That'll teach me to pay more attention damnit. And yeah got the name VERY wrong. They have to do one called like this now, lol

Someone did, kinda.

http://www.yog-sothoth.com/wiki/images/4/44/Curse-of-Cthulhu.jpg

Yeah, I've done some RPG in my time.

Last edited by azathoth (2013-11-23 07:29:32)

^^^
Sweet!!!
Did you say Warcraft??? Yeah I think you did.
Best RPG EVER!!! big_smile

^^
You know what the weirdest RPG rule set I ever read was?  Advanced D&D Immortals. I mean, once you're immortal, your goals are to bone a cow to have a minotaur son, or some other crazy shit?  I guess you could rule worlds and such, but do you now how annoying things get once you rule anything larger than an ant farm?  Hell, even trying to rule a vegetable garden is a pain in the ass.

^^^
Yeah but gotta admit that owning the Multiverse sounds like a lot of damn fun. lol

I'd just hire a demi-god as a manager, and have an eternal Movie Night.  With chocolate cheesecake popcorn.

^^^
Mwahahaha H3LL yeah.

Ohhh Chocolate Cheesecake Popcorn, OOOoooohhh yesss!!! Slurp!!! smile

Reaper978 wrote:

Thanks for the input everyone.  Vasquez' list is quite substantial though I really don't know where to begin.  I am wary of the early movies for I fear they may be too corny for me.  Not that I'm writing them off completely, I don't know since I've never seen them.  The Pit and the Pendulum looks interesting.  Have any recommendations for ones that you think are especially good?  Any recommendations for the Lovecraft movies?

All I can say is that it would be a real shame to ignore the older films because they are the true gothic movies.  The more contemporary movies are just copying what was made in the 60s and usually are not as good.  Of course there are exceptions but they are few and far between. 

As for where to start:  I would start with the classics like the 30s universal movies like Dracula and Frankenstein and then the Roger Corman/Vincent Price movies like the haunted palace, the pit and the pendulum, and the house of usher.  They are well loved and appreciated for good reason. 

Just a note:  the Haunted Palace was billed as a Poe story but is actually based on a story by Lovecraft called The Case of Charles Dexter Ward.

^^
Knowledge.