Re: What R U Reading?

Just finished this, I bought this for my bro's birthday and damn what a freaking cool read that was.

Now cannot wait to see it all on screen damnit...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyo7pqboqK1r5ik1zo1_500.jpg

Cool, I've heard mixed reactions to that series. Some people say the first book is the best, because it rips off Battle Royale, and is engrossing, but the rest of the series sucks because Collins doesn't have the great source material. Others have said the second two are best, because they are more original and are more engrossing. I have read none of them, and don't really intend to. Too many books on the burner right now anyway.

Haven't read any others but this one is very entertaining. big_smile

I'm reading about the creation of Netflix. the book is called "Netflixed"

I've got about a hundred pages left of Timothy Leary's autobiography, "Flashbacks". Such an amazing adventure tale of one man's life. From respected Harvard Humanist psychologist, to "The Harvard Psychedelic Club" experiments with psilocybin and then LSD, trips with Ginsberg, Burroughs, Koestler, Marilyn Monroe, Cary Grant, etc., to the politics of the late sixties w/ the yippies, hippies, being sent off to Folsom prison, his magnificent prison escape and exile in Algeria with the hostile Black Panthers, on and on. A GREAT read.

^^^
Cool that you liked it. The dude always have fascinated me. Probably because of my insane and very frequent use of LSD back then but mostly for his views on the world and society. Damn brilliant guy. Gotta read more stuff from him...

When I finish this Castaneda I will find more papers by him.

The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge-Carlos Castaneda

Damn this trilogy is wild. Read it like 10 times and EVERYTIME I discover that his teachings are different because I have accumulated the knowledge and am in a new level. Freaking H3LL this is wonderful.

First time I read these, other ones being A Separate Reality and Journey to Ixtlan it truely changed my vision on life.

Oh nice thing about this is that when I interviewed Jean Giraud [MOEBIUS] in the International Comic exposition of Angoulème France, we talked about it for a long, long while. He was as passionated 'bout the guy as me.

RIP Moeb, I miss your art and worlds. sad

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-11-30 10:16:37)

^ And I've definitely got to read those Castanenda books. I've heard a lot about him...even in Flashbacks, Leary gives him some attention in the opening of one of the chapters. Adding his first three books to my Amazon list...

It's also very neat that you got to interview Jean Giraud, Punk. I'm not the most familiar with his work, but he's definitely a talented dude, from what I'm reading in the Wiki article.

If you're interested, P, and just because I now have the occasion to pimp my own stuff tongue, here's a Timothy Leary playlist that I've created and am still adding to: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL … re=mh_lolz

Last edited by The Creature (2013-11-30 10:31:58)

^^^
Yeah, he was my Comic Drawing Master. His film work is insanely impressive. Made full of concepts designs for Tron, Dune AND Scott's ALIEN!!! Luckily editing houses keep coming up with stuff they never published from him since he died...

https://static.squarespace.com/static/51b3dc8ee4b051b96ceb10de/51ce6099e4b0d911b4489b79/51ce61c1e4b0d911b449f88c/1332561993021/1000w/alienconcept3232012.jpeg

And oh EXTREMELY COOL PLAYLIST Sir, THANK YOU!!! smile

But yeah, Castaneda is such a reading trip. You'll never experience the same thing ever again reading his stuff. it's THAT wild. big_smile

^ That's one badass illustration! Very cool.

No problem, Punk. Just glad I could share it w/ somebody!

The Teaching of Don Juan is surprisingly inexpensive on Amazon...might by that sooner than later. We'll see by next paycheck or not.

^^^
Enjoy you will for sure. smile

I read A Yaqui Way to Knowledge a few years ago, I didn't have the same experience you did Punk, but it was an interesting and enjoyable read. Well worth the time. Especially since it's short, maybe 200-300 pages? I haven't read his other two books though.

I have yet to read any Timothy Leary, though I have watched a few Documentaries about him.

Last edited by Theli (2013-12-02 17:26:03)

^^^
Different folks different thoughts and experiences. smile

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/deanwinchestersgirl/The_Bell_Jar_Harper_71_zpsb0d5f5fe.jpg

I have a sudden urge to read the Rama and Ringworld series for some reason.  No idea way, just kinda hit me.

^^^
Ooohhhhhhhhhhhhh Ringworld is freaking fun. big_smile

I am reading....posts on this site!

^^^
Mwahahaha lol

Just finished a collection of H.P. Lovecraft stories. They say Herbert West: Re-animator was his worst work, but I thought it was good. The Rats In The Walls was by far my favourite aside from the Outsider though.

^^^
Lovecraft RULES!!!

Got that yesterday and I'm very happy about it. Pretty cool few pages I've read already. Like the atmosphere. smile

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BawDY8sIYAAIqCg.jpg:large

Let me know some thoughts about it when you finish it. I've seen Mark Tufo's name a few times, but have not read any of his books.

Just starting John Russo's novelisation of Night of the Living Dead. A pretty amateurish first couple pages, but we will see where it goes from here. It is his first book, though he did write the screenplay with Romero.

Last edited by Theli (2013-12-06 13:39:35)

I'm about to start Doctor Sleep by Stephen King....had it since it came out in September and haven't cracked it yet....life got so busy and I'm so mad that I haven't even finished Dan Brown's Inferno....grrrr...

Theli, I will. And yeah I saw his name a few times too.

OldLaughingLady, Inferno is amazing, GET BACK TO IT AND FINISH IT DAMN!!! lol

OLL: I gave up on Doctor Sleep for the time being, a certain aspect of the story was a pretty big turn off for me. DirtyGirl really liked it though, so maybe I'll pick it up again sometime in the future.

aweFREAKINGsome...

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/98/a3/c2/98a3c2f691cbe9fd31638a9ab8159211.jpg

I finished off Russo's Night of the Living Dead. It was actually a great read. A bumpy first couple pages, then Russo hit his stride. It's very tense and atmospheric. It lives up to the movie. Very short though.