Re: Scariest movie you have seen

Yeah Punk, I meant the Thai one! Creeped me out so badly the night I first watched it.

Friends and I watched it recently and some of the scenes still got me.

Blair Witch Project has been mentioned already by Lon and that one just filled me with a sense of dread. Afterwards I was relieved that I wasn't really lost in those woods.

azathoth wrote:

@Uwe-
Funny, we were talking about movies last night, and my mom brought up that Salem's Lot freaked me out as a kid.  I still get uneasy when I'm all alone outside on a sunny, windy day (the graveyard scene).

when his brother is floating outside his window and keeps asking him to "let me in" scared the s**t out of me as a kid

the Conjuring had some really creepy moments in it

Chomper wrote:

Yeah Punk, I meant the Thai one! Creeped me out so badly the night I first watched it.

Friends and I watched it recently and some of the scenes still got me.

Blair Witch Project has been mentioned already by Lon and that one just filled me with a sense of dread. Afterwards I was relieved that I wasn't really lost in those woods.

Yeah it's a very scary one. And damn Blair Witch, never been so scared all my life. Getting out of the cinema in the Quebec City's streets was extremely wild. In fact never been that scared by a movie until Grave Encounters recently.

This is a really hard question to answer because even my favorite horror films don't really scare me.

For me, the most scared I've ever been watching a movie is "Eraserhead" which is a really weird choice but man, that movie really got under my skin the first time I watched it and it still creeps me out every time I watch it (and I've seen it upwards of 30 times) and I don't really understand why.

For second place I'd probably say "Repulsion". I like "Rosemary's Baby" (another Polanski film) more, but "Repulsion" is about 1000 times scarier (even though Rosemary's Baby is still a super creepy movie). Like, I feel it mixed some jump scare horror (there's a jump scare in there that is only beaten by "The Exorcist III" in my opinion) with a lot of psychological horror and then there's some murders to top it all off, it's just an awesome, terrifying film.

And now for a third weird choice, "Diabolique" (or "Les Diaboliques") scared me so much the first time. I mean, I guess it's not scary, it's just SUPER suspenseful, but I was on the edge of my seat throughout the entire film, and I barely breathed during the entire climax.

Other people have mentioned "Suspiria", which I agree with, and "The Descent" which, while it's definitely not the scariest movie I've ever seen, it's still pretty creepy upon first viewing (and it has probably the third most effective jump scare IMHO).

^^^
Oh damn yeah Diabolique is such an amazing piece of work. Pretty damn creepy too. smile

I think if I had to pick one that scared me the most out of any it would be Child's Play. Yeah, yeah, I know. I dunno though, I just think dolls are creepy as shit. With their hollow little glassy devil eyes, watching you, waiting for you to fall asleep.... Ugh. I've seen and read a lot of horror and nothing really made me shit myself the same way I almost did when I saw Chucky's head spin around in the first Child's Play movie when I was twelve.

Gotta LOVE scary dolls. smile

I don't get scared by much anymore having seen well north of 4,000 horror movies.  However, Sinister was the only movie that I had to actually turn off.  I rewatched it and it wasn't nearly as scary the second time, but something about it the first time...especially when the picture of the demon turned and looked at him.  I've never been that scared.  I had to sleep with the light on for two nights.  I wish more movies could scare me because that was an awesome feeling.

^^^
H3LL yeah Sinister is a freaking scary one.

Have you seen The Conjuring yet??? Even scarier, to me that is. smile

Being creeped out is the best feeling EVER. Too bad I don't feel that way very often though...

It is a shame we don't feel it too often.  I loved The Conjuring.  Absolutely scary in the fact that I have a raggedy ann doll right behind me (the real annabelle is one).  Nothing freaked me out more than when I realized that.  (It was my wife's grandparents and I fight to take it down but she won't let me)

^^^
Woah, lucky you.
She's insanely cool. smile

Sinister was pretty good, I particularly enjoyed the swimming pool part. I've been meaning to watch the Conjuring at some point, I've heard good things. Oh jeez, Annabelle raggedy Ann doll, I'd have buried that thing in the woods long ago personally haha

^^^
Watch out, she'll come back for you, she always does that. lol

Watched it last night. Good call. It was pretty good, of course they had to make the friggin' doll plastic baby-doll styled instead of felt raggedy Ann though. They just had to sit there like
"Yeah, I have an idea. Let's take this concept that's already creepy enough and just make it thousands of times worse by making the doll even creepier than it has to be."
"That's a great idea Tom; that oughta scare the living bejezus out of somebody."
"Yeah, it's not like they might have to sleep at some point or anything."
"I love f***ing around like that."
"I hear you Bill, I hear you."

^^^
Hahahaha Damn right!!! big_smile

The Haunted (1991 tv movie)

My favourite horror movies are the ones that scared me the most as a kid, so those would be Night of the Living Dead, Halloween, and The Evil Dead.

^^^
Ahhh EVil Dead, the most awesome masterpiece of Horror cinema. smile

Night of the Living Dead scared the shit out of me when I was a kid too. I remember being at my  cousin's birthday party when I was like... 12 I'd say, and one of my older cousins put it on. I remember being like "I heard this was good." but not being all too intimidated by the idea of watching it, after all, how scary could a black and white movie from 1968 be? I didn't sleep that night, haha. That is an experience that I didn't get to re-live very often again, just diving head first into a great, horrifying movie without knowing what it was all about and then just being blown away by it. Happened the first time I saw Frankenstein and Psycho too. I think that's what really got me into horror, the impact of seeing those movies when I was a kid.

The Exorcist

Jaws

Jaws is a great pick. Alien was amazing and terrifying too.

From another perspective : Nineteen Eighty-Four (1984)

Probably the clearest definition of a scariest movie.

George Orwell chose a fictional year for the title. Obviously, he was wrong. The error is quite forgivable. But the rest is and will become even more accurate facts.

Big Brother is watching you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52wis_sLT1I

Last edited by Evermonster (2014-01-02 14:14:51)

As readers of a former post of mine know, I'm not genuinely scared by horror movies (or any other kind, for that matter) but when I was just a tyke and I saw it with my parents, THEM scared the shit out of me.  I had severe trouble sleeping that night.  When I saw it again, I couldn't understand that.  Damn good movie, yeah, but scary-------???????