Re: Mario Bava?

mathisvogel wrote:
wolfman1959 wrote:

i like you Mathisvogel, you are an intelligent fellow ! smile

why, thank you Sir! smile
Planning on watching Caltiki soon

you like that one don't you? it's not a bad little film .

wolfman1959 wrote:

you like that one don't you? it's not a bad little film .

Ok, finally watched Caltiki for the first time. Enjoyed it immensely!
With its simple but functional plot Caltiki has greater narrative drive
than many of Frada's and Bava's better-known classic efforts.
Now I know who’s the daddy of the man-eating Cyclops in Luigi Cozzi’s contamination!
http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac275/mathisvogel/dvd_snapshot_000232_20140105_022024_zps970156dc.jpg

Last edited by mathisvogel (2014-01-05 16:48:10)

From the Bava I have seen here is my ranking:

Black Sunday
Black Sabbath
Erik the Conqueror
Shock
Lisa and the Devil
I Vampiri
Baron Blood

Like I said before though I dig them all to varying degrees.

I am a diehard Bava fan.  My three favorites:  BLACK SABBATH,  KILL BABY KILL and BEYOND THE DOOR 2.

Ah, finally, another Beyond the Door 2 (aka Shock) fan.  Respect!

Man I gotta rewatch I Vampiri been too long and I loved it.

LoudLon wrote:

Ah, finally, another Beyond the Door 2 (aka Shock) fan.  Respect!

count me in, too. Love  that film's chilly minimalism. Steiner and Nicolodi give some of the very best performances to be seen in a Bava film.

I VAMPIRI disappointed me.  Legendary because of age and I anticipated it deserving it's reputation, but in my book, probably Bava's bottom of the totem pole.

CALTIKI was simply PHOTOGRAPHED by Bava, not directed, not written or anything.  I thought it had nice photography, but was a moderately poor movie, otherwise.

GHOST DADDY wrote:

I VAMPIRI disappointed me.  #

I'm not a huge fan, myself. It felt artificial and I couldn't connect to it so I hardly ever re-watch it.
I did love Caltiki, though. It has great narrative drive as well as technical excellence which you also seem to have appreciated. If I were to compare I Vampiri and Caltiki, I'd say the latter has aged better and is more enjoyable

I dig I Vampiri but it doesn't have the cinematic flare of Bava's later masterpieces, still a fun classic horror flick IMO though.

Theli wrote:

I dig I Vampiri but it doesn't have the cinematic flare of Bava's later masterpieces, still a fun classic horror flick IMO though.

Feel exactly the same. If you are a Bava fan its definitely worth checking out as it is still a above average film.

i like a lot of Bava's films  and have some dvd/blu ray
Black Sunday
Black Sabbath
Planet Of The Vampires
Bay Of Blood
Danger Diabolik
Shock
and i've seen others

but would never see crap like Dr Goldfoot - seen trailer and its crazy or Hercules etc
Kidnapped
Blood And Black Lace

Not long ago I got to see on the big screen Hercules Unchained (1959), a Steeve Reeves movie on which Bava is supposed to have worked as cinematographer. There were one or two atmospheric shots in the film which foreshadowed that visual splendor which the great Mario was to make his trademark in the ´60s.

Last edited by mathisvogel (2014-12-24 19:19:05)