Re: Game of Thrones Vs Dexter?

^^^
I'm blinded by misses Aniston & Cox in Friends so I don't pick these up. big_smile

Again, that's the kind of stuff that happens when you obsess and analyze over stuff like I do.  When I find something I like I watch it over and over and over again, at first to determine exactly what it was I liked about it and to understand why it worked for me, and later viewings are to relive the experience.  But the downside to that is picking up on flubs or inconsistencies that come along with those multiple viewings. 

No bullshit: to date, the only movie I can think of that is iron clad in its logic and story from beginning to end with no goofs in continuity or character, and which has no unintentional technical goofs, is The Blair Witch Project.  That's not to say it's my all-time favorite or anything (that honor goes to Romero's Dawn of the Dead) but I've yet to notice a single flub in the flick.

^^^
See that where we differ very much. Just to say I prefer Diaries MUCH more than Dawn. In fact, Dawn is just before the one I like the less, Survival. Heh.

But I still find Blair Witch extremely great my favorite ever. Right after Horror Hotel. smile

Ok we finished season six and started seven.  Like I wrote, I really liked season five, probably my favorite.  Six on the other hand...very underwhelming.  Not bad.  Not great, and probably just good. 

About halfway through season seven and its still good.  Definitely took a different direction story wise I was not expecting, which has made it interesting, but also changed the feel of the show.

Really, I want to see the series finale to figure out what all the bitching was about.  So I plan to continue through.  I like Dexter (the character himself) though.  That's what makes watching some of these sub par episodes worth it.

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2014-01-23 00:11:58)

Over with seven, and on to eight.  Seven was good.  Kinda all over the place.  Lots of turns I didn't expect.  Interested to see how they try to deal with the end of seven.

Ok...as I wrote that I was watching the first episode of season eight just in time to see Deb snort a line while banging a random dude.  Guess that answers my question.

Yeah.  That's what they call a "character arch."

Pfft.

Last edited by LoudLon (2014-01-27 00:28:20)

Going out on a limb here...you're not a fan of that "arch"? smile

My opinion -- and only my opinion -- it is Deb's character that she never would have murdered you-know-who for Dexter.  Deb may be flighty and easy as a virgin on prom night but she's no murderer.  She's a cop.  First and foremost.  Always had been.  Season 7 should have ended with her arresting Dexter; season 8 should have been about -- well, I can't say yet because you haven't seen it all. lol

At any rate, no.  Not a fan of that particular hard left turn.

Yeah, I get what you mean, but she loves Dexter, I think that takes number one for her. You could see, she was horrified and ran to the captain, and you could tell she regretted it, so its not really so far off from what you're saying.  I think now, if she goes back, she does at least call for back up while keeping Dexter there.

You keep on seeing Deb as a true cop, someone who would follow the law, and not let someone get away.  I just don't see it the same.  First is her love of Dex, and wanting to protect him, then its to protect themselves.  I think family and self preservation guide her.  I think she changed with the ice truck killer.

Yeah though, if she could go back she would not have made that kill.

I think wherever you fall in this, I think it makes the show interesting.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with you Lon, we just see two different Debs.  Very similar, but also very different. smile

Well, you are disagreeing with me, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.  You're in my cool book, Ghostie.  Disagree with me all you like. smile

Having said that... lol... here's my take:

I think the writers wanted to show that what Dexter is affects everyone and everything around him.  And it does.  But where they went wrong is to have what Dexter is actually change Deb's character.  Over the course of the series Deb suffers some terrible traumas and excruciating losses, and while that affected her emotional well-being, it didn't change the fact that she's solid steel underneath that explosive and emotional exterior.  She always bounces back, sets her jaw, digs her heels in and does her job, because being a cop is everything to her.  That's repeated countless times throughout the series, they virtually hammer it into our heads.  Even Dexter says so on numerous occasions.  Starting with the final episode of season 5, they completely ignore that aspect of her character whenever it's convenient to the plot. 

Believing Deb would let the killers go at the end of season 5 (whether she knew it was Dexter or not) was asking a lot of the viewer.  In season 6, having us believe she would find Dexter standing over a dead body he very obviously killed and not only not arrest him, but help him cover it up, was asking even more.  But believing Deb would actually murder an innocent person for Dexter at the end of season 7 is the straw which broke the serial killin' camel's back. 

Season 5, 6 and 7 all should have ended with Dexter in cuffs and Deb marching him into the station, heartbroken and soul shattered, but knowing she did the right thing.  Okay, fine, so if she'd done that at the end of season 5 there likely wouldn't have been three more seasons, but that's beside the point.   

All I'm saying with this little novella of a reply is that I don't know who that was in season 6,7 and 8 (and, as mentioned, the final episode of season 5) but it sure as hell wasn't Deb.  They forced a complete change of personality on her, to service the plot.

Last edited by LoudLon (2014-01-27 02:19:14)

One episode left till the series finale.  Interested to see what happens.

Very interested in hearing your thoughts on it, Ghostie.  I obviously had my problems with the last few seasons but I'm glad you're enjoying it.  Seriously, I wish I could have turned off this cursed  nit-pickiness of mine and just enjoyed the show for what it was.  hmm

Although I have a complicated relationship with GoT, I still consider it better than Dexter. Dexter lost me at the beginning of season 6. As Lon said, they asked too much from their viewers when they decided to make Deb react the way she did. A "clean" and heartbroken  Deb  would have carried this series at least 2 more high quality seasons.

when these two shows go head to head the obvious winner is Glee

Just finished the last episode of Dexter.  I cried like a little girl at the end.  I saw some of the end totally coming, and thought it was a great and fitting ending.  That was until the very very end, where you see it didn't happen.  Oh well, still a good ending.