Re: Last horror movie you watched?

LoudLon wrote:
Ash's missing hand wrote:

the fog remake. watched it once and thought it was ok but upon second viewing it really is a terrible movie

Who has a turd with a cape for an avatar and could have told you it's even worse the second time around and saved you the trouble?

<-- this guy.

Super-Turd would crush his punk ass!

Alucard the Risen wrote:

I've seen very few remakes in any genre I like.

Most remakes I like more than the originals. The Thing, Evil Dead and I Spit On Your Grave to name a few...

DRACULA [1931] rewatch

Bela Lugosi. Nothing more to add. His voice and his eyes man, nothing will ever beat him...

Vasquez wrote:
Theli wrote:

I watched The Bay of Blood yesterday. Damn, was that ever a zany movie with quite the high body count. In some ways it's like an early slasher or giallo, but in other ways not so much. It has some great cinematography and editing. Another home run for Bava.

It is a extremely important film in the development of the slasher genre and influenced a certain film called Friday The 13th (which then with Halloween started the 1980's american slasher craze) so much that F13th Part 2 directly ripped off two exact death scenes from it to the last detail. Also note the use of POV shots and shots of the eyes peeping through a gap (which Bob Clark also used in Black Christmas (1974)).

Yeah it's pretty clear while watching this movie how influential it really is. I didn't know the specific shot rip off/tributes though. Very cool.

Vasquez wrote:

Last horror film I watched was Mama (2013)

I was not going into this expecting that much from what I heard about it. There are some good things to it though. The performances from the two girls were really good and the CGI - apart from a terrible bit at the beginning with a out of control car - wasn't as bad as some people seem to think. Not amazing but still decent enough. Overall though it used to many cliched and tired tropes of the genre and so I give it a 5/10.

I felt pretty much the same way, but I would have given it a bit higher rating, I think. I did like the end.

Vera Ellen Baby Firefly wrote:

The Devil Rides Out (1968)
Anyone seen this one?  It's written by Richard Matheson and Dennis Wheatley. It stars Christopher Lee and I think that this is one of his best performances as he pits himself against the powers of evil.  To me, this is one of Hammer's top films.  In this film, Lee protects a young man from becoming the 13th member of a coven of the Devil.  So enjoy and stay inside the circle!

This one is a favourite of mine. It's cool to see Lee as the protagonist for once too. This is just the kind of film I really like; occult/supernatural horror. It features some great surreal imagery, and colourful sets too. One of Hammer's best, that's for damn sure.

kXnPunk wrote:
Alucard the Risen wrote:

I've seen very few remakes in any genre I like.

Most remakes I like more than the originals. The Thing, Evil Dead and I Spit On Your Grave to name a few...

DRACULA [1931] rewatch

Bela Lugosi. Nothing more to add. His voice and his eyes man, nothing will ever beat him...

A great film, it's been a while since I have watched this one. The spanish one filmed at the same time on the same sets is essential watching too.

Last edited by Theli (2014-01-16 01:29:30)

^^^
Yes, another nice one too. Anyways, I just CANNOT dislike any Vampire movies. I'd be going against my family, Coven and being... lol

Covens tends to apply to witches, tongue

Carmen Electra in American Vampire, 'nuff said, big_smile

Selene in Underworld lives in Kraven's Coven.

And her, 'nuff said. big_smile

http://cdn.fearnet.com/sites/default/files/images/News/selene_underworld.jpg

Yea, but Kate, c'mon, I mean obvs mang, tongue

Ingrid Pitt

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbzjd7eWUc1qms7zqo5_500.jpg

My beautiful monochrome vampire!

Kate and her are and will stay my favorite Vamp girls forever and ever, Ad Vitam Aeternam no doubt possible. smile

Last edited by kXnPunk (2014-01-16 02:31:09)

Both are super sexy and effective!

Trying to bone up on my slashers...

Sleepaway Camp (1983) - 8.5/10

Super awesome slasher film! I've gotta say that it's instantly one of my favorites of the sub-genre. Lots of fun. I cringed during a few scenes. But the ending twist...very memorable and shocking. Well done flick, needless to say, really.

The Burning (1981) - 8/10

Going into this film, I thought I would be re-watching it...but apparently I hadn't ever seen it before in my life. lol  Another really cool movie. What I liked best about the film was how likeable the characters were. I had fun with nearly all of them, and enjoyed most of the dialogue in between. Whereas in other slasher films, you cannot wait for the punk teens to get killed in the most gruesome ways...this one comes off as a bit different. The infamous "raft scene", which I had seen footage of previous to watching this movie, was of course excellent...and brutal for reasons that are apparent for anyone already acquainted with the film (for those who are not, I won't spoil it). It got a little too slow for me near the end...but the killer gets a good death.
I did not care for the closing of the film though. Thought they could have done something a bit more creative.

All in all...both are damn great slasher movies. I'm glad I chose to watch em' both tonight.

Last edited by The Creature (2014-01-16 02:47:32)

I like Sleepaway Camp, great freeze frame at the end! But I loved the Burning. It was just a fun movie, both intentially and unintentionally. One of my favourite slashers and I only discovered it last year.

I'm really glad you liked The Burning (and Sleepaway Camp).  When I mailed you that DVD of The Burning all I wanted was for you to enjoy it as it's a special kind of slasher.  Mission accomplished

Damn I need to rewatch these ones as they are truely awesome. Got the DVD of The Burning but need to find Sleepaway Camp in Cyberspacekickasstorrents. Which I will NOW!!! big_smile

Demons  1985 

This was another re-watch, I seen few times now, everytime I see this one, always seem to re-watch second back to back. 

This movie builds some tension  at the start of the movie, which gives a not pf a mystery feel to  the movie.

I liked how the plot started with the mask that cuts on the face, which later in the movie they seeing, bring evil force out of the screen and into the threater

The tranformations was out standing, I loved,  it's creepy and very gory at the same times, the efffect were amazing as were the make up effects.

They did look scary at times and I loved the fact you may not know who will turn next as I jumped twice having no idea who as turned into demond.

Also loved the last scene in the movie, normal I can't stand those scace scenes in the movie. this movie knew how to use it and it worked  it.

Great movie 8 out of 10

Demons 2 (1986)

This movie did take while to get going, there are far to many subs plots in this movie, they forcussed on to many other things in first 20 mins of the movie.

That where the thing start to really happen, it mabye little over the plot and silly times,  which I wish exaplained what that happens.

I did enjoyed second part of the movie bit more then first half, I enjoyed of tranfromations was decent but not as good as first. 

I didn't feel find that gory, no were near as gory as the first  and some effects looks a bit off in this movie however there were some decent effects here and there.

The acting was not all that great,  I just found that fighting scenes with demons just silly not even funny.   

5 out of 10

Love'em both! Just fun, funny horror. Plus the first has so many kick ass metal songs.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/20/usbc.jpg

^^^ If you want your pic to show...

[img]image url[/img] 

Not

[url]image url[/url].

smile

not sure if it should be classed as horror, in fact not sure what it should be classed as but whatever category you want to put it in , it's very mundane and to me at least not very good at all, the film was "Troll Hunter" (2010) perhaps i'm not into Norweigen humour. the actual Trolls themselves weren't too bad but film went nowhere. 4/10

^

Fell the same.

Troll Hunters one of my favorites! Watch for the US remake!

Anyway, a few of my friends really liked the Battery so thought I'd give it a shot. Ehh it was ok. More a buddy movie than anything and a little too low budget for my taste.

4/10

In a land ravaged by the undead, Ben and Mickey must first learn to survive each other. A slow burning, character-driven take on the zombie genre, The Battery was shot on a budget of only $6,000 borrowed from friends and family. After rave reviews from Ain't It Cool News, Dread Central, All Things Horror, and Screen Invasion, the film was accepted into prestigious film festival.

Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO3_WO2YfGo&html5=1

Shadow of the Hawk (1976)  8/10
For any Jan-Michael Vincent fans and also Chief Dan George who starred in The Outlaw Josey Wales, also made in 1976.

Jan-Michael is the grandson of Chief George who is a Native American medicine man.  The old man is fighting a magical war with a witch who is seeking revenge for being executed.  She wants to kill the Chief and Jan Michael.

If your looking for something different this is a good forgotten film.

Would you rather (2012) 7/10
A young woman plays a deadly game of "Would you rather" to help her sick brother.
For me, some of the scene's were intense.
It makes you think--What would you do?
Stars Jeffrey Combs who's always an added plus.

Just put on:

Repo! The Genetic Opera