Re: Last horror movie you watched?

The Hideous Sun Demon (1959)

Low-budget fun. Typical B sci-fi recipe.

It was bad, bad, bad...I loved it! big_smile

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/858751Cool.jpg

The Howling

Evolver - fun killer robot flick from the 90's. Very similar to Chopping Mall.

The Seasoning House - very well acted, dark, disturbing and brutal has hell. One of the best horror films on 2013.

v/h/s
The only story I thought was creepy was the first one.
The rest were meh.

^

Damn right about The Seasoning House. It is even more disturbing when you consider that many of the elements within it - i.e the disgusting way the young girls were treated - are potentially happening in conflict zones around the world as we speak e.g Central African Republic, South Sudan or Syria, not just which happened in the Balkans war during the 1990's.

Glad you guys are checking Seasoning House out. I thought it was one of the best myself! I've seen it a couple of times.

BTW anyone see Devil's Due? I was going to go today and then just saw so many bad writeups I passed.

Vasquez wrote:

^

Damn right about The Seasoning House. It is even more disturbing when you consider that many of the elements within it - i.e the disgusting way the young girls were treated - are potentially happening in conflict zones around the world as we speak e.g Central African Republic, South Sudan or Syria, not just which happened in the Balkans war during the 1990's.

^The title kept popping up today. Hadn't even heard of it.

Still need to check The Seasoning House.

The New York Ripper (1982) - 7.5/10

An enjoyable giallo/horror film directed by Lucio Fulci. Despite the Ripper's voice being laughable and, well, honestly ludicrous, it was a good movie. Lots of gory kills, a good giallo plot, and some T & A to boot. I thought the opening of the film was neat too. Quite the stylish freeze-frame into opening credits.

Currently rewatching guess what???

Asiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

http://img2-2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2011/10/28/LAND-OF-THE-DEAD_458.jpg

Evermonster wrote:

Looks like fun!

@kxnpunk - and hell yeah! I love Land of the Dead, and of course Asia is one beautiful woman.

^Which one Punk? Land of the Dead?

The Creature wrote:

An enjoyable giallo/horror film directed by Lucio Fulci. Despite the Ripper's voice being laughable and, well, honestly ludicrous, it was a good movie. Lots of gory kills, a good giallo plot, and some T & A to boot. I thought the opening of the film was neat too. Quite the stylish freeze-frame into opening credits.

This is one of Fulci's best, and highly overlooked, horror films. I think it pairs up well with Maniac for a depraved, disturbing serial killer movie. Of course this adds some mystery too.

Land Of The Dead is definitely one of my favorite Romero's.
Not only the gorgeous Asia does it but the story is wild too. smile

FASCINATION [1979] rewatch

Been too long I didn't see this because it's truely ANOTHER magnificent Rollin one. Such beautiful imagery it's just nuts and man what a TWISTED story this is. As ALWAYS with him, gorgeous naked ladies. Yup, I truely DIG the dude's stuff, he ROCKS!!!

Theli wrote:

^Which one Punk? Land of the Dead?

The Creature wrote:

This is one of Fulci's best, and highly overlooked, horror films. I think it pairs up well with Maniac for a depraved, disturbing serial killer movie. Of course this adds some mystery too.

I agree. It was a very solid slasher film, and it is often overlooked as such. There were some pretty dark/disturbing death scenes in there, too. I cringed a few times, which I don't usually do while watching horror movies. Though I do have a difficult time connecting with the "duck theme". It makes the film entertaining and unique, but at the same time, it's difficult for me to take it seriously in this respect. Just my POV, of course.

Re-watched The Beyond, which I love. Such a great film, filled with surrealistic imagery and beautiful, nightmarish cinematography. 9/10

^^^
Oh yes The Beyond is such a beautiful and great one. The cinematography is just haunting. smile

^ A very memorable movie, too. The imagery/cinematography is great, and so are all the crazy gore scenes! Flesh-eating tarantulas, two scenes where eyeballs are ripped out, phenomenal head explosion special effects (the gun shot to the little girl's head scene), and the distinct zombie make-up we all got to know and love previously with Zombi 2.

It's such a chaotic film, part of Fulci's charm.

I just watched The Kiss of the Vampire, a Hammer horror movie. I was very impressed with this one, quite possibly my favourite of Hammer's vampire flicks so far. Creepy atmosphere, decent acting. Dr. Ravna invites a couple to his castle for dinner and to meet his family, but he has more nefarious plans for them, and there's more to his family than meets the eye. Pretty standard vampire story, but it works. The film also boasts a bevy of buxom blondes and brunettes. The only detriment, like in many Hammer movies and other early horror flicks, is the freaking fake bats. They always look ridiculous, they always have. Oh well, the rest of the flick is top notch.

Last edited by Theli (2014-01-21 12:33:43)

Evermonster wrote:

Ha ha, looks great. big_smile

See it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGDdm2UVafE

Last edited by Master Horror (2014-01-21 09:04:20)

^^^
Thanks!!! smile

TRAUMA [1993] rewatch

Another father/daughter collaboration and such a cool one it is truely. Such wonderful EVERYTHING this film is full of. Another marvel from the King of Italian Horror and boy Asia is so freaking INSANELY GORGEOUS!!! smile

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-P9c6WT-8VV0/T1qbXvqW9HI/AAAAAAAACu0/EIcdDM-j8ZY/s640/AsiaTrauma21.jpg

The Cabin By The Lake 2000

Not bad for a tv movies,  had decent plot , I found some -what entertaninging , 

I didn't find boring at all, it didn't really drag on  it's flowed really well

As this movie, there wasn't any blood what so -ever in this movie but it's more about killer drowing his victims.

The killer was creepy in one or two scene, some of under water were tad tense at times, 
This movie kind of gave me the stepfather vide.

The ending for sure reminded me of the stepfather movies and acting was really good for a tv movie.

6 out of 10

Anyone seen the sequel?

kXnPunk wrote:

^^^
Thanks!!! smile

TRAUMA [1993] rewatch

Another father/daughter collaboration and such a cool one it is truely. Such wonderful EVERYTHING this film is full of. Another marvel from the King of Italian Horror and boy Asia is so freaking INSANELY GORGEOUS!!! smile

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-P9c6WT-8VV0/T1qbXvqW9HI/AAAAAAAACu0/EIcdDM-j8ZY/s640/AsiaTrauma21.jpg

Surely Mario Bava is king since he basically started the itilian giallo film with films like The Girl Who Knew Too Much, no?

The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (1974)

Liked it first time; still like it. big_smile

7/10

PunBB bbcode test

Vasquez wrote:

Surely Mario Bava is king since he basically started the itilian giallo film with films like The Girl Who Knew Too Much, no?

The giallo existed before Bava threw his hat in the ring; Psycho and Peeping Tom (both 1960), Screaming Mimi (1958) and many others.  They may not be Italian, but they formed the foundations of the giallo sub-genre.  Not to mention the term giallo was taken from the stark, yellow covers given to murder mystery novels in Italy back in the '50s ("giallo" being Italian for "yellow"). 

So, no, Bava didn't start the sub-genre.  But, he -- and, later, Argento -- certainly perfected the form.

You are right, there's really nothing specific in theme that separates Bava's films Psycho or Peeping Tom. To me I think the term Giallo almost signifies Italian violent mystery films. A strange and specific explanation, but to me there's something about the way Italians did it that separated them from most other films of similar style. I think the progeny (not literal, but Lamberto does count) of Bava took cues from his style, while Bava took cues from Hitchcock. So I think there is an extra added bit of Italian flair to Giallo films.
I dunno, just one deranged dudes point of view.

LoudLon wrote:
Vasquez wrote:

The giallo existed before Bava threw his hat in the ring; Psycho and Peeping Tom (both 1960), Screaming Mimi (1958) and many others.  They may not be Italian, but they formed the foundations of the giallo sub-genre.  Not to mention the term giallo was taken from the stark, yellow covers given to murder mystery novels in Italy back in the '50s ("giallo" being Italian for "yellow"). 

So, no, Bava didn't start the sub-genre.  But, he -- and, later, Argento -- certainly perfected the form.

I knew about the giallo novels I was just referring to the film form of it. I get  and respect what you are saying though.