Topic: POLL: DHMW Season 2 MID-SEASON SEMI-FINALS

HEY, YOU!   DON'T FORGET TO VOTE IN THE ACTUAL POLL!  YOU KNOW, THAT THING WAY UP THERE AT THE TOP OF THE POST?  WHERE YOU CLICK IN ONE OF THE LITTLE CIRCLES AND THEN CLICK THAT LITTLE GREEN BUTTON WHICH READS "VOTE"?  Yeah, THAT thing.

With the Month Four finals behind us, we've now reached the halfway point of this, the second season of DHMW.  You know what that means -- MID-SEASON SEMI-FINAL TIME!

It's simple: all four monthly winners from the first half of this season must now square off to determine who will be the first of two contestants to appear in the ultimate Season Finale four months from now.  Standard voting rules apply (see below).  Now let's (re-)meet our four semi-final combatants:

Month One Winner:
http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx332/LonTurner/Deadliest%20Horror%20Movie%20Warrior/Blob_zps23523721.jpg
http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx332/LonTurner/Deadliest%20Horror%20Movie%20Warrior/VS2_zpse78fcda4.jpg
Month Two Winner:
http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx332/LonTurner/Deadliest%20Horror%20Movie%20Warrior/ElWray_zps716c1bdb.jpg
http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx332/LonTurner/Deadliest%20Horror%20Movie%20Warrior/VS2_zpse78fcda4.jpg
Month Three Winner:
http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx332/LonTurner/Deadliest%20Horror%20Movie%20Warrior/Xenomorph_zps050bbfcd.jpg
Month Four Winner:
http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx332/LonTurner/Deadliest%20Horror%20Movie%20Warrior/RawheadRex_zps4b1b4944.jpg

As usual, make those votes count, people!  Also as usual, don't forget...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE RULES:

1. Vote objectively for who you think is deadlier.  This is not a popularity contest.

2. Please be sure to comment below to explain why you came to your decision.  Those who do so, your votes will count as FIVE POINTS

Those who do not, or those whose explanations are in regards to the character's popularity rather than an objective comparing of the characters' abilities (see rule #1), your vote will only count as ONE POINT.

3. Voting will be open for seven days, at which time I'll post the results.

Have fun, and vote responsibly. smile

Re: POLL: DHMW Season 2 MID-SEASON SEMI-FINALS

There are some heavy-hitters in this battle!

Gotta think this one over??  Hmmm...

Let's see here... The xenomorph, Rawhead Rex and El Wray instantly go to battle with each other, sensing the more imminent threat of each other as the Blob slowly moves forward, seemingly unthinking. As the xenomorph slashes Rex and El Wray with his tail he is sprayed with bullets, spraying all with burning acid. Rawhead Rex thrashes about crushing his prone foes. But the blob moves forward thus far unharmed, digesting it's now dead enemies, growing, finally advancing on the already injured Rex.
His enemies one by one they fall, the gelatinous Blob consumes them all!

Assuming that this gigantic battle of the giants takes place under two conditions: 1) the environment is not of sub-zero temperature, but of moderate climate. 2) The Blob is already of gigantic portions, and not just starting out the battle as a little bit of goo continuously collecting mass. These assumptions included, my vote is for...The Blob!

El Wray's bullets and martial arts skills are of futile effort when contact with the Blob is made.
Xenophon's bodily weapons may be awesome, but they are also futile when contact is made.
Rawhead Rex, despite being eternal, is absolutely useless when forever stuck within the blob.

Due to the gigantic physical size, the odd matter constituents, and the ferocious appetite...The Blob is the winner. All three opponents are swallowed by the alien goo, forever to dwell within this giant jello train of death.

Bump.

After doing some thinking U have come to the conclusion that... this was a tough choice picking a winner.

RR takes on Xeno from the get-go. The Blob gets involved in the melee and consumes both Xeno & RR.  Xeno, while inside The Blob's stomach (if that's what you can call it) uses its acid that melts away the innards of The B lob's stomach, and allows Xeno to escape. Gone/consumed is RR.

Xeno, meanwhile, takes it personal and is now has it out for The Blob. The Blob senses, Xeno's hostility and makes its way towards Xeno.  Xeno and The Blob go at it again. Xeno is again consumed by The Blob. 

El Wray, going unnoticed, sees an opportunity. Always on his toes, El Wray takes out his weapons and fires a shit load of lead at The Blob; hoping to kill both Xeno & The Blob. Not happening! The Blob engulfs El Wray. Xeno: still alive inside of The Blob, and pissed off like a mother f'er, uses its spiked tail on El Wray. Good bye, El Wray... 

Xeno attempts to free itself, again. The Blob continues to grow in girth. Xeno's escape is futile. In a matter of a few minutes, Xeno is digested.

Winne: The Blob.

Voting is over.  No need for a tally as only one combatant received any votes...

Winner: THE BLOB

Now, here's the deal.  Participation in this thing has continued to decrease over the last couple months, and despite already having the next four months' fight schedule already worked out, it's gotten to the point where I no longer feel it's worth the effort posting these things every week.

So.

I put it to you, the members, to determine if we should see out the rest of the season.  If we had even just ten regular participants each week (on a website with nearly 60,000 registered members, it dumbfounds me that we only get half a dozen people voting each week, if that) I'd be willing to stick it through. 

So that's what I'm looking for.  Ten regular members who want to see this continue and who will show up to vote each week.  If you can be counted on to do so, leave a comment below.  If we don't get ten pledges of participation, we'll just call 'er quits and shut 'er down, and go find something else that takes up a whole minute, maybe minute and a half of our time.

Peace.

- Lon

" I Underdog solemnly swear to vote each and every week, or, so help me god."

Way cool of you to at least let this go to a vote! But considering the super-duper low votes these battles have got, and especially over the last few weeks. I wouldn't blame you at all, if you just said " F'- it."

You know me, I'll vote even if I don't know what the hell I am talking about.

I, Creature, promise not to miss any matches and will vote each and every week, or, so help me some supernatural, anthropomorphic, omnipotent and omnipresent bearded thing in the sky will strike me dead with a bolt of lightening.

I still think if these were in the Horror Forum you would get more votes. That said other than a few active posters, board activity seems to have dropped significantly in the last little while.

And while we have 60,000 registered users, my question is how many of those have been logged into within the last month. A couple hundred at best? It sucks, we need the vets back, and some more fresh blood.

All one need do is click "New Forum Posts" on the main page.  Besides, this is the second year I've been doing this, so everyone knows by now what forum it's in.

It could just be the ol' Curse of the Message Board.  It seems a great many forums close down after several years, once folks have grown tired of one another and go off looking for a new batch of folks to share their thoughts with.  Been happening for as long as I can remember.  I like to think HM's is a quality enough place that that wouldn't happen, but it seems to have become the case. hmm

I think forums in general have been on the decline since the advent of the popularity of social network sites (facebook, twitter etc.). This is a good group, I had a forum I used to visit for years (still do from time to time) but everyone was so bitter, and anyone's opinion was assaulted, and you needed to defend your point of view every time (which can be good for discussion purposes), but it just got tiring. We may disagree here, but there isn't many flamewars.

As for people knowing it's here. Yes most do, but I rarely came to this part of the forum until I noticed these tournaments, and easily forgot them multiple times and would have missed if it didn't happen to show up under "recently activity" because of someone elses post. The horror forum and general forum just have more activity, especially with less active posters.

Well, the fans have (not) spoken.  We've fallen WAY short of the ten-person-minimum I asked for to keep this going, so as of now DHMW is no more.

For anyone interested, here's the schedule I had for the second half of the season:

Round 5:

Irving Wallace (Stage Fright) vs Frank Zito (Maniac)
John Doe (Seven) vs Dr. Decker (Nightbreed)
John Ryder (The Hitcher) vs Detective Cameron (Night of the Creeps)
Jason Voorhees (F13 series) vs Darryl Revok (Scanners)

MONTH 5 winner -

Round 6 (Ladies Month)

La Femme (Inside) vs Pamela Voorhees (F13)
Lori Strode (Halloween) vs Alice (F13)
Sidney Prescott (Scream) vs Marie (Haute Tension)
Ripley (Alien series) vs Rain (Resident Evil)

Ladies Month Winner -

Round 7:

Jack the Ripper vs Frances Dollarhyde (Red Dragon)
Big Daddy (Land of the Dead) vs Private Bell (28 Days Later)
Dr. Hill (Re-Animator) vs Dr. Vanacutt (House on Haunted Hill '99)
Hannibal Lecter (Silence of the Lambs) vs Dexter Morgan (Dexter)

MONTH 7 winner -

Round 8:

Buffalo Bill (Silence of the Lambs) vs Martin (Martin)
Crate Monster (Creepshow) vs Belial (Basket Case)
Tall Man (Phantasm series) vs The Collector (Tales From the Crypt: Demon Knight)
John Nada (They Live) vs Daryl Dixon (The Walking Dead)

^^^
DHMW is no more but a round 5-6-7 and 8 coming. Mmmm WHAT???

Can't say I don't blame you, Lon.  I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why more members didn't participate?? I know you put effort into coming up with these battles.   It was fun while it lasted.

Thanks, Undie. smile

Punk -- no, DHMW is done.  But before I posted even the first round here on the boards, I had the entire season scheduled out.  What you see above are what would have been if enough folks had chimed in for DHMW to keep going.

Oh man, there was some awesome match-ups coming! I think looking at that list I would have given the whole shebang to Darryl Revok.
'All right. We're gonna do this the scanner way. I'm gonna suck your brain dry!"

Until he fights the Blob, then what use is he?

It was fun while it lasted. Thanks for the good times, Lon!

Last edited by Theli (2014-01-27 00:39:51)

Thanks Lon for doing these.  I don't blame you for stopping.

I come to HM almost every day, usually many times a day.  However, so often I look at the top of the page at the five Threads with the most recent comments, and if there's nothing there I don't delve further.  Not an excuse, just why I missed many of these battles.

For what its worth (possibly not much), there were several horror movies I watched just so I could vote in these battles.  Potentially I otherwise would have never seen them.  For that, I thank you.

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2014-01-26 23:59:03)

I appreciate the kind words, Ghostie.  Yeah, I'm a bit dejected that participation dwindled to the point where it made it not worth the effort anymore, but some cool little discussions did come out of many of the matches.  And as I said from the get-go, getting folks to check out movies they may not have seen was always an ulterior motive.  So I can take some amount of satisfaction in that. smile

But, and I'm talking big picture here, it kind of sums up what's going on on the boards here lately.  A small handful of regs have been keeping this place active the last year or so, but now even they're showing up less and less.  I hate to think HM's is on its last leg, because I've been on a lot of horror boards, and this one is, IMO, the best one I've ever had the good fortune to be a part of...

...when it's active.

Seems more active now than it has in the past month or so. But I believe activity on most forums is dwindling. That said, I prefer a board with 20-30 active knowledgable members compared to ones with hundreds of idiots.

LoudLon wrote:

Thanks, Undie. smile

Punk -- no, DHMW is done.  But before I posted even the first round here on the boards, I had the entire season scheduled out.  What you see above are what would have been if enough folks had chimed in for DHMW to keep going.

Ah ok all clear now. But anyways thanks a whole lot it was not only a lot of fun but you also shared lots of cool kick ass infos roght from your Horror encyclopedia that your brain is so a million thumbs up to you buddy. Why not so much people participated is seriously beyond me. roll

And yeah it's very sad that the activity dropped that much, most of the time I'm the only fucking asshole here... *sigh*

I'd hate to see it go down to a point where it would shut up, man I'd be lost...

That's an uncomfortable thought...

Damn yes, that'd be the end of me. But I'm sure it'll never happen, H3LL I've been into forums where the only ones posting where a total of 4 people, myself included and it still kept on going so it's MUCH more active here I tell ya!!! lol