Re: Mario Bava?

mathisvogel wrote:
wolfman1959 wrote:

i like you Mathisvogel, you are an intelligent fellow ! smile

why, thank you Sir! smile
Planning on watching Caltiki soon

you like that one don't you? it's not a bad little film .

wolfman1959 wrote:

you like that one don't you? it's not a bad little film .

Ok, finally watched Caltiki for the first time. Enjoyed it immensely!
With its simple but functional plot Caltiki has greater narrative drive
than many of Frada's and Bava's better-known classic efforts.
Now I know who’s the daddy of the man-eating Cyclops in Luigi Cozzi’s contamination!
http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac275/mathisvogel/dvd_snapshot_000232_20140105_022024_zps970156dc.jpg

Last edited by mathisvogel (2014-01-05 16:48:10)

From the Bava I have seen here is my ranking:

Black Sunday
Black Sabbath
Erik the Conqueror
Shock
Lisa and the Devil
I Vampiri
Baron Blood

Like I said before though I dig them all to varying degrees.

I am a diehard Bava fan.  My three favorites:  BLACK SABBATH,  KILL BABY KILL and BEYOND THE DOOR 2.

Ah, finally, another Beyond the Door 2 (aka Shock) fan.  Respect!

Man I gotta rewatch I Vampiri been too long and I loved it.

LoudLon wrote:

Ah, finally, another Beyond the Door 2 (aka Shock) fan.  Respect!

count me in, too. Love  that film's chilly minimalism. Steiner and Nicolodi give some of the very best performances to be seen in a Bava film.

I VAMPIRI disappointed me.  Legendary because of age and I anticipated it deserving it's reputation, but in my book, probably Bava's bottom of the totem pole.

CALTIKI was simply PHOTOGRAPHED by Bava, not directed, not written or anything.  I thought it had nice photography, but was a moderately poor movie, otherwise.

GHOST DADDY wrote:

I VAMPIRI disappointed me.  #

I'm not a huge fan, myself. It felt artificial and I couldn't connect to it so I hardly ever re-watch it.
I did love Caltiki, though. It has great narrative drive as well as technical excellence which you also seem to have appreciated. If I were to compare I Vampiri and Caltiki, I'd say the latter has aged better and is more enjoyable

I dig I Vampiri but it doesn't have the cinematic flare of Bava's later masterpieces, still a fun classic horror flick IMO though.

Theli wrote:

I dig I Vampiri but it doesn't have the cinematic flare of Bava's later masterpieces, still a fun classic horror flick IMO though.

Feel exactly the same. If you are a Bava fan its definitely worth checking out as it is still a above average film.

i like a lot of Bava's films  and have some dvd/blu ray
Black Sunday
Black Sabbath
Planet Of The Vampires
Bay Of Blood
Danger Diabolik
Shock
and i've seen others

but would never see crap like Dr Goldfoot - seen trailer and its crazy or Hercules etc
Kidnapped
Blood And Black Lace