Topic: Indie Film Poll : What Makes a Movie Worth Watching

I notice some indie filmmakers just disregard common sense and what makes a good film. IE they shoot it with no effort and splash some blood to make it "ok". This poll is for you to vote on WHAT makes a good movie. Feel free to pick more then one answer, and share why you chose what you did.

I am going with reasonable acting, good writing and SHOT on something decent. I am so tired of the DV crap that keeps pumping out. That said DV with a filter grain looks as good as 16mm.

Tell us what makes a film worth watching to you and no doubt indie film makers can learn from this poll. The point of this poll is to hit on the important items to you, so dont pick em all. Just the ones that REALLY matter to you.

Re: Indie Film Poll : What Makes a Movie Worth Watching

I'm one for a really good score.. A good score can overcome alot of a films misstep.. I also chose directing.. A good director can turn anything on its head and make it a good film. They can make good edits, do some camera tricks, even take a badly written script and put some polish on it.

I don't mind DV.. I mean Robert Rodriguez does all his films on DV so that is never a problem. If you know what you are doing you can make it work. Thats probably another reason why I chose directing.

IT has to be filmed well, smooth camera angles take you into the movie. If its all rotten, it frustrates the viewer and that's all you think about. No amount of fx, gore or acting can bring it out of a nose dive if you don't have some good cinematography.

You can have some of the most awesome gore and effects, but let me tell you now that doesn't make a movie. The first thing you need is a solid script, good acting and last, but not least you need good cinematography. If you've got that than feel free to go crazy on the special effects.

i am glad to see im not alone in that GORE is a very minor part. So many indie filmmakers seem to think some fake blood makes a shitty movie good. This poll is great beacuse it shows im not alone. I sure hope indie film makers are paying attention.

I think that a good movie starts with a good storyline and a good script.  Followed by a good director and crew, cast, and then F/X.

The acting has to be somewhat tolerable same as the script and the fx should be done well. I have also enjoyed movies that have bad actors, bad scripts and bad fx, so I guess it all comes down to, does it push my buttons or not

I think alot of people take the score for granted.. I mean does anyone take into account how the score for movies like FD13, Halloween, Jaws, and The Omen catapulted those movies in the legendary status?

Being a musician myself, I know how important a score is and when a good score comes along, usually there is a good film behind it.  I went with directing though.  The man in charge.

great points the score for jaws is to this day what stays with me. Great poll so far and nice to see everyone seems to agree writing is VERY important.

I think writing is the most important aspect of any movie. Writing is what makes and often breaks most horror films. A lot of people and hollywood today seem to disagree with this.

Last edited by Leon (2006-09-23 20:19:40)

most indie films i watch have no effort put into writing. They figure $100 on fake blood is all they need. This poll so far clearly shows FX mean next to nothing to horror fans. compared to the other items.

I agree about the writing...too many movies have massive budgets and dialog so bad that anyone with at least a little intelligence can't trick their brain into wasting it's time getting involved.

Past that, I love to see something in a movie that I've never seen, no matter how simple.  The shark scene in Zombie easily comes to mind here.  I've talked several people into watching that movie after describing just that scene to them.  It could even be something much less elaborate, though, so long as you get the feeling that there was a decent mind involved in the film's creation.

The writing and directing are definentally two jobs that make a film worth wild.

jargenfornow wrote:

Past that, I love to see something in a movie that I've never seen, no matter how simple.  The shark scene in Zombie easily comes to mind here.  I've talked several people into watching that movie after describing just that scene to them.  It could even be something much less elaborate, though, so long as you get the feeling that there was a decent mind involved in the film's creation.

Yea totally agree.. But with Zombi 2 thats one of those movies where the only thing really going for it is the effects.. Yet it remains one of my all time favorite movies.. It does have some decent cinematography though and the directing is good enough to keep it up there..

I think bad FX when used can ruin a movie.. I think bad anything can really take you out of a film.. I mean yea any of the above are important but if you can make all of the above rather average your OK.. But if anything listed is really bad your in trouble..

i think that acting is important. u can heve the best writing and best directing but without good actors the movie is gonna suck

Plot! Originality! Simple.

and its still quite clear that gore/fx is very far behind the other elements. I sure hope the indie filmmakers who read this board are paying attention.

The main reason i dislike exploitation films(and I've mentioned it before)is because they lack many of the things we're talking about and use as much gore as possible to fill in the blanks. So many indie movies have potential and directors(and whoever else)ruin them by filling their movies up with gore and predictable shock scenes.

For me it is the writing, the directing, and Cinematography

Acting can be overlooked... basically bcause of talent restrictions. However, everything I listed above is not overlookable.

I hate run and Gun shooting of indie films. it  pisses me off. Take some time, but don't take 8 hours to set up lights and the camera for a 5 second shot.

Light it good, but don't try and do something that can't be done.

I have yet to see anyone do a run and gun scene that even looks realistic. Mind you I would be happy to have one of you film makers prove me wrong. The problem is to much time is spent rigging up these scenes and no effort put into realism or the sound fX.

Acting CAN be overlooked with reason. I have seen 10 or 15 movies that were well shot and had a decent story but rather then getting talented locals in the movie who could act somewhat they cast themselves, family or friends. Good thread to learn from since its obvious where the horror fans put their points for a good movie.

I said The Writing is the most important.  I only voted for one but when I look backon it, I should have voted Directing as well.  I think that the directing influences the acting and the musical score.  Although it doesn't help if the writing is crap.  Directing and Writing greatly contribute to the other categories, but that doesn't always mean the best will come out of it.  Still, we should get at least an okay flick.  That would be the reason those are the most important to me.

good point  a good director can really do alot vorwald. Good writing the same can be said.

Writing, directing, and acting act as leg of a tripod holding the movie up on top. Remove one of those legs and the movie comes tumbling down.

this topic came up in last nights podcast.. this is a really great poll to see what fans think matters in a good horror flick.