Re: What's the last book you read or bought?

^^^
Never liked Ludlum. I prefer James Ellroy kinda stuff.

But Patriot Games is so great!!!

Just started rereading
Kingdom Keepers:Disney after dark.
Went through the first two books in four days.
Can't wait to get the third book.

Haven't checked Ellroy's work yet, but my favourite crime writers are Jim Thompson and James M. Cain.

^^^
If you do check him out, start with his best one, Black Dalhia... Amazing. He kind of made a memoriam to his mother that was murdered AND that well known L.-A. murder back then which is why he's got so into the story I bet... One of my all times favorite with Les Misérables just to tell you how much I dig it. big_smile

I have the paperback, but haven't got around to readng it yet. I wouldn't necessarily call it a tribute to his mom though, I watched a documentary called James Ellroy's Feast of Death and he didn't exactly have the best memories or thoughts of his mother, often calling her a whore or other derogatory terms. Though he somewhat comes to terms with it during the doc.

But yeah if you dig it, like you dig Hugo, that must mean something!

Last edited by Theli (2014-03-12 01:01:46)

I'm 4/5ths done Clancy's Red Storm Rising.  Great fictional war story from 1985 or so.  I remember we gave it to my dad for Christmas (we give out some presents Christmas Eve) one year, and he stayed up all night reading it until he finished it (700+ pages!).

It's fairly sanitized in terms of the awfulness of war, and youngin's will have a hard time grasping the mindset of the book (I've heard chuckleheads joke about the 'cold war' and how silly it was.  sigh.)  But as a tactical/strategic piece, it's obviously outdated (they have ONE Aegis cruiser), yet has a realistic feel to it.

I almost feel we're not that far off from the Cold War starting back up, or maybe just another world war.

Don't think I could get into war books though, just not my thang. Not much into war movies either, other than the stirling few.

Yeah Theli, I know that but that's probably why the murdered babe is a naughty Bitch in the book too. But I think he came to terms writing the book, that's why I said it's kind of a memoriam. He forgets her and all is good so...

And yes, that definitely means something. lol

Last edited by kXnPunk (2014-03-12 01:45:42)

Fair enough. Ellroy was/is obsessed with the Black Dahlia, even that obsession probably helped him cope while he was young. I'll get to it this summer I think. I tend to read horror all fall and winter, but dig into other subjects as well during spring and summer (I'm a very strange seasonally based person). It's a book I have been meaning to read though, and I love crime fiction, almost as much as horror and fantasy, so I am sure I will read it sooner rather than later.

Last edited by Theli (2014-03-12 01:55:01)

^^^
Hahaha That's weird. But yes enjoy. smile

Still inching through The Shining as I'm so busy with school work and my new writing job.

What's the new job?

Real Monsters, Gruesome Critters, and Beasts from the Darkside

One Flew Over The  Cuckoos Nest:

First read. Hell of a book Students could quite get into it though. As per the usual; book better than the movie, but not by much.

^^^
That's a nice one I have to revisit. And I agree not that far from the movie. smile

Last edited by kXnPunk (2014-03-13 20:47:02)

I just ordered Day by Day Armageddon.  Sposed to be pretty good.  Hoping its here Saturday. If I like it I may see if the library has the others in the series.

Not "new" but "new to ME:  WARNINGS by Stan Romenek-recommended UFO thing, although I'm not sure how much is authentic.

Just finished reading The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty

ALIEN MYSTERIES AND CONSPIRACIES by Kevin Randle-no, not about Mexicans.

I finally finished Interview With the Vampire. At times it was hard to wade through, but Rice's language and prose can be quite rewarding.

^^^
Yes she got a very nice way of putting words together really.

Back when I used to read a lot:

The March of the Barbarians

The Brothers Karamazov

Just finished reading Legion by William Peter Blatty

Kingdom keepers 5:shell game.

Bought these two books at Goodwill for a relatively cheap price:
The Search for Schrodinger's Cat by John Gribben
The Sentinel by Arthur C. Clarke (which is actually a collection of his short stories).

Still reading "Consciousness Explained" by Daniel Dennett though.