Re: American Horror Story

Man I'm enjoying Coven a whole lot. Such crazy stuff going on. And yes, Mme Lange is amazing but so are the other Witches.

Good to hear! I can't wait to watch it.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Z3ezR1N_dlI/Uu75vltIfzI/AAAAAAAAH1I/C1VnDDq0Hnk/s1600/tumblr_mhcaysbHvq1s1mluqo1_500.gif

There's always so much going on in the show, too much I think (especially season 2) and it just doesn't seem to mesh properly, it tends to leave questions unanswered which can be a little unsatisfying. Great cast and production value though.

kXnPunk wrote:

Man I'm enjoying Coven a whole lot. Such crazy stuff going on. And yes, Mme Lange is amazing but so are the other Witches.

Season 3 was my fave.

I started watching Asylum and....nope, I can't get into it if honest. I loved the first season too! I will try again, tonight or tomorrow I guess.

Disaffected wrote:

There's always so much going on in the show, too much I think (especially season 2) and it just doesn't seem to mesh properly, it tends to leave questions unanswered which can be a little unsatisfying. Great cast and production value though.

This has been my main problem with the series as well.  It's like the writers come up with a basic premise -- say, a haunted house -- and then throw everything they can think of at the wall and use it whether it sticks or not.  What you're left with are multiple hastily executed sub-plots jockeying for position, and the result is a jumbled mess.  Especially seasons 2 and 3.  In comparison, season 1, which started off sloppily but got better as it went along, seems like master story telling.

Season 2 had more story lines than it could keep track of (the alien abduction sub-plot, which was never resolved, was especially frustrating) and while Season 3 started off strongly (thanks in large part to the powerhouse performances of Jessica Lange, Angela Bassett and Kathy Bates, who all but carried the season) it became quickly apparent that the main premise was actually TOO thin to hang the various sub-plots on.  Even more stuff is left unresolved and the final episode is particularly anti-climactic.

The only reasons I've stuck with this show so far are, one, Jessica Lange (she brings class to the show just by being in it, not to mention she's a fantastic actress and still quite a head turn despite being in her 60s) and two, because I honestly do see real potential here.  If the writers and show-runner could only settle on and fully explore a primary storyline and allow the sub-plots to organically flow from it, instead of trying to cram everything they can think of into every single episode, this would likely be a show worth celebrating. 

Seriously, look at all the sub-plots they've thrown in in just these first three seasons.  The show has good ideas, it just doesn't fully explore any of them.  You can take just about any sub-plot from these first three seasons and flesh it out into an entire season of its own, instead of what the writers do now, which is pay each sub-plot lip service, then toss it aside for other sub-plots they treat the same way.

I looooved season 3!   I want to watch them all again now that it's over.  Loved that it was about witches and New Orleans.  Also found it interesting that they included some real life killers such LaLaurie.  But considering it was in New Orleans, a few vampires would have been appropriate. 

I hear the next season will be set in a different time period again.  Personally, I would love a victorian setting.  We shall see.

^^^
So damn behind with it... Gotta get back in. But damn yes DirtyMiss, Victorian would ROCK!!!

I just recently finished the season.
With how tired I have been feeling these past few weeks, I've been behind on a lot of shows.

You can't be as behind as I am, only saw Episodes 1-3. big_smile

Hoping to start season two soon.  Not a huge fan of season one, but it was enjoyable enough.

Damn gotta get back to Coven, the last season, it's really cool.

Only saw the first few episode of Coven. I'll see it eventually when I buy the season. 1 season away from having the entire series to x-files. American Horror is the next series I plan to start to collect.

Last edited by mike3881 (2014-02-27 02:06:54)

I wish I could get into this, but I saw ep1, season 1 and I wasn't impressed. Haven't been back since.

LOL, I know it's moved on a hell of a lot since then...

Favorite of them all yet is Coven. So freaking intense!!!

One of my favourite shows but season 3 definitely suffered in its final half as a result of so much happening at once. Jumping between major characters, death and not-quite-death, crazy things everywhere. Overwhelming!

But man, that Fleetwood Mac intro to the finale. Ooooh yes!

Can't wait for the next season. Hope they get Dylan McDermott back this time around.

The only thing I liked about Coven, other than Jessica Lange, was Stevie Nicks making an appearance and Lily Rabe as the witch who worshiped Stevie and Fleetwood Mac.  And yeah, it definitely could have used McDermott this season; he was what helped make the first two seasons moderately bearable to me.  Dude's a really good actor, always has deserved more attention than he gets.

Huh, season 3 was my favorite so far.  Then #1 with #2 far, far behind.

^^^
Same here. Such insane stuff going on. smile

I remember it taking a while for me to fully get into the first season, but looking back I feel it showed the greatest strengths of the series overall. The second season had its ups and downs but I was hooked pretty steadily to it as well.

I could say that the third felt the weakest, but the fanboy inside me won't give in lol.

Different for me. Season 3 was arguably the best season of AHS imo. Season 1 was bleak and kind of dull , season 2 was a bit of a incoherent mess. Season 3 was just about right. (although misty got screwed)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-VdFrmv53k

Last edited by fmvgamer (2014-03-09 15:54:23)

Season 4 has been announced.  Ryan Murphy tweeted that the new season will be called American Horror Story:  Freak Show.

The show has me a little bothered by all the "check out this neat thing" and then...nothing.  To be honest, I don't know if I'm still in love with the show, or just Jessica Lange.  As LoudLon has (justifiably) stated in the past:

LoudLon wrote:

The only constant good thing about the show, IMO, is Jessica Lange.  I just wish the material deserved the excellent performances she's been turning in.

Word.  Here's to hoping, though.

Last edited by TeeSeeBee (2014-03-25 15:37:55)

I just read on Yahoo that Michael Chiklis just signed on for season four.  Great actor.  I hope they improve their storytelling this year so as not to squander his talents.