Topic: Sixteen Candles(1984)

Sixteen Candles is a classic and must see comedy by director John Hughes from the mid 80's starring Molly Ringwald, Ceddee Watanbee, John and Joan Cusack, and no other than the funniest geek ever Anthony Michael Hall.

I love this film and have it on dvd and never get tired of watching it. It brings back good times from the 80's growing up for me. Of course I was the jock in the film, lol.....just kidding.

No for real, this is a great and funny film. Excellent beer drinking movie.

"No more yanky my wanky, the Donger want food"

"I've never been with a man before, oh me neither"

"Can I borrow your underpants for 10 minutes"

"What's your name: (Dong), what's your first name: (Long).....what's your middle name: (Duck)"

"What you bitching about....I can sleep under a china man named after a duck's dork"

"Well if it isn't Sammy Davis Jr Jr.....stop it Fred you'll make her tinkle........Fred, she's gotten her boobies.....I better get my magniflying glass......oh and they are so perky"

This film has the best quotes ever!!!!!:lol:

Re: Sixteen Candles(1984)

I love this movie. The japanese guy is my favorite part in the movie. And along with when he's sleeping in the tree and says Banzai!!!!!!!!!!!

"You beat up my face, you grabbed me in the nuts.......oh so sorry, I thought you were my new American style girlfriend":lol:

lol God i haven't seen this movie for quite a while. I gotta see this again.

aww i havent seen this movie. i have to see it now big_smile

Kill The Firstborn wrote:

aww i havent seen this movie. i have to see it now big_smile

You gotta go buy it now.....it's awesome.

"So what do you know about Samantha Jones........(it depends on who you ask).....She's always staring at me in class, it's cool the way she stares at me......(maybe she's retarded)"

"I bet 10 floppy disks that you don't even get tit"

"Automobeeeer???"

I was forced to watch this flick by an old girlfriend back in high school a couple years after it came out.  I didn't want to watch it; I was into nothing but horror flicks and chop-socky at the time.  But I watched it with her and next thing you know I was laughing my ass off.    I was quickly converted to a John Hughes fan.

I think Sixteen Candles is right up there with The Breakfast Club when it comes to the best Hughes flicks and Anthony Michael Hall has never been funnier.  Well...maybe in Weird Science, but then I have an unnatural obsession with that flick.
lol

LoudLon wrote:

Well...maybe in Weird Science, but then I have an unnatural obsession with that flick.
lol

What, you had a crush on Chet(Bill Paxton) in it, lol.....jk.:lol:

the donger rules but i gotta go with weird science.

Ash's missing hand wrote:

Really? Damn now that's 2 of ya'll that like Wierd Science better. I loved Wierd Science so don't get me wrong but I just thought that 16 Candles was the mack daddy film when I was a teen back then lol.

"Automobeeeer???" <-- from LoudLon ... yo that is EXACTLY what I think of first thing when I think of "Sixteen Candles".

Gpa: Dong (clap clap) ... where is my auto-mobile?

Dong: (mocking) Au-to-mo-bile??

lol Love that part.

(I also agree w/ LL that "Breakfast Club" and "Weird Science" are his other bests.)

Little known fact and nuthin' big, but John Hughes went to my college, Arizona State. Have no idea why since I think he's from IL.

Cool, Bly.:cool:

Also I love the song at the very end to 16 Candles called "If you were here" by The Thompson Twins.

If I had to rank them in order of my fave films of his it would be like this:

1. Sixteen Candles
2. Wierd Science
3. Breakfast Club - it was good but just not that big a film to me back in the 80's(I liked Johnny Be Good with Anthony Michael Hall in it better)

RIP wrote:

Really? Damn now that's 2 of ya'll that like Wierd Science better. I loved Wierd Science so don't get me wrong but I just thought that 16 Candles was the mack daddy film when I was a teen back then lol.

at my school i think breakfat club carried a little more weight than sixteen candles. the cake at the end of the movie is made of cardboard.

RIP wrote:

at my school i think breakfat club carried a little more weight than sixteen candles. the cake at the end of the movie is made of cardboard.

LOL, I think everyone actually loved Breakfast Club better back then but me. I liked Pretty in Pink better.:lol:

RIP wrote:

Also I love the song at the very end to 16 Candles called "If you were here" by The Thompson Twins.

1. Sixteen Candles
2. Wierd Science
3. Breakfast Club - it was good but just not that big a film to me back in the 80's(I liked Johnny Be Good with Anthony Michael Hall in it better)

Me, too! re: that song at the end of "Sixteen Candles" ... it's pretty girly but fuck it, it's a bad-ass song. Yeah I think "Breakfast Club" in particular is brilliant; and "Weird Science" one of the more under-appreciated comedies of all time. My Top 5 Hughes would go like so:

1. Breakfast Club
2. Weird Science
3. Uncle Buck
4. Sixteen Candles
5. Planes/Trains

I don't know what it is, but Hughes brought out the best in John Candy, and that's saying a lot, since Candy was one of the best ever on his own.

And lastly, I think one of the funniest lines in movie history is when JOHN says to BRIAN, "Well, Brian, it doesn't sound like you're doing any business." Ooorrr, when JOHN says, "Impossible, sir ... it's in Johnson's underpants." lol:lol::lol::lol:

BLY wrote:
RIP wrote:

1. Sixteen Candles
2. Wierd Science

Me, too! re: that song at the end of "Sixteen Candles" ... it's pretty girly but fuck it, it's a bad-ass song. Yeah I think "Breakfast Club" in particular is brilliant; and "Weird Science" one of the more under-appreciated comedies of all time. My Top 5 Hughes would go like so:

1. Breakfast Club
2. Weird Science
3. Uncle Buck
4. Sixteen Candles
5. Planes/Trains

I don't know what it is, but Hughes brought out the best in John Candy, and that's saying a lot, since Candy was one of the best ever on his own.

And lastly, I think one of the funniest lines in movie history is when JOHN says to BRIAN, "Well, Brian, it doesn't sound like you're doing any business." Ooorrr, when JOHN says, "Impossible, sir ... it's in Johnson's underpants." lol:lol::lol::lol:

Damn I forgot about Uncle Buck and Planes, Trains, & Autos......awesome films......I miss John Candy.

my favorite john hughes movie is plains, trains, and cars

RIP wrote:
LoudLon wrote:

Well...maybe in Weird Science, but then I have an unnatural obsession with that flick.
lol

What, you had a crush on Chet(Bill Paxton) in it, lol.....jk.:lol:

No, no...my crush was on Jodi Aronson, who was also in Friday the 13th IV: The Final Chapter and The Sleeping Car with David Naughton.  Always thought she was quite the little honey.  Still is, though you never see her around anymore.  Yeah, I know, Kelly LeBrock was the bombshell in that movie but Jodi Aronson is the source of my aforementioned unnatural obsession.  Lon like Jodi.  Lon like Jodi boo-coo.

As for ranking Hughes flicks, my top five would look something like this:

1. Weird Science
2. The Breakfast Club & Sixteen Candles for a tie
3. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
4. Pretty in Pink
5. Some Kind of Wonderful

But he also did Baby's Day Out and those god-awful Home Alone movies.  How the hell the guy who summed up teen angst so poignantly and humorously ever got involved with those tsuris-inducing fuckers I'll never know.

Ah, damn.....Some Kind of Wonderful was awesome and I had the biggest boner back then for the blonde haired short chick in it.

Mary Stuart Masterson.  And I agree; she, too, was ripe with hottie-ness.

LoudLon wrote:

Mary Stuart Masterson.  And I agree; she, too, was ripe with hottie-ness.

She had the perfect smile and face and her blonde hair cut short was sexy and her perfect body.........hold on a minute I'm getting turned on now thinking of her.:lol:

Easy, buddy...just think about dead puppies and Roseanne Barr in a rubber dress.  *snap* Done.

LoudLon wrote:

Easy, buddy...just think about dead puppies and Roseanne Barr in a rubber dress.  *snap* Done.

You always know how to ruin a moment, don't ya.:lol:

I'd have a terrible time ranking Hughes' flicks, they are all so fantastic and I love them all.