Topic: The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

So recently there was a thread on here about the film "3:10 to Yuma" which I called my western of choice this fall over "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford".  I stated that "Jesse James" (I am gonna shorten it to this.  It's easier that way) hit developmental hell and was delayed over a year.  I stated Brad Pitt was unhappy with the project.....but after seeing the new trailer, my thoughts have changed. 

I found the new trailer to Jesse James cause I am bored and cant sleep.  I found it first on moviefone talking about their "15 Must-See Fall Movies"  This is what they had to say about the project: It was delayed a year, and people assumed the worst ... but what do we have here? The trailer's fantastic, Brad Pitt makes an ideal James, and early buzz is that Casey Affleck may be Oscar-bound. Good things come to those who wait.

The trailer and this new info changed my mind and I am kind of pumped for this to finally come out.  Anyone agree? Release date is Sept 21st
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWMLGqtUoi0[/youtube]

Re: The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Not too bad looking. That's the first I have seen of this trailer and looks like it might be a cool ass film.;)

Yeah the story behind Jesse James' assassination is pretty cool.  This looks like is could be a nice dramatic Western.  I rememebr seeing the teaser like a year and a half ago, but this was the first time I saw the full trailer too.  I enjoy a good western from time to time.  You dont get many these days.

I just found this out which is pretty cool.
When casting for the role of Robert Ford it came down to Casey Affleck and Shia LaBeouf. Affleck eventually got the role, because LaBeouf was felt to be too young. 

So they didnt cast Shia, and now he is a huge success.  But Casey is possibly Oscar bound with this, so I guess either way it turned out win/win with the casting.

And I founda  great early review over at CHUD
http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=reviews&id=11623

i've looked forward to piit's movies ever since kalifornia. this one has promise. i'm more looking forward to casey affleck in "run baby run".

^ Do you mean Gone Baby Gone Ash? 

This recently screened at both Venice Film Festival and Toronto Film Festival.  Early word is that despite a long 160 minute run time, it is still quite good.  Brad Pitt won the award for Best actor at the Venice film fest.  They dont do a supporting actor there though so Casey wasnt up for award.

A critic for www.moviesonline.ca said the movie is terrible.

hmmm i cant find it anywehere on there Meh.  did he do  a full review or write an article?  I searched reviews with no results.

it will be up soon, sorry i should have said that lol.

^ lol way to jump the gun.  I assume they saw it at TIFF?

I went and saw The Assassination of Jesse James last night.  Went to a late show, and for a wednesday night there was a decent amount of people there

Overll, I'd give the film an 8.5/10.  The Cinematography was some of the best I have seen in years, a truly wonderful film on the eyes.  I think seeing it in a theater really is the way to go as the scenery and cinematography are mesmerizing on the wide screen.

The acting is pretty great.  Casey Affleck plays Robert Ford, and he does a spectacular job.  He is a character you love to hate, but at the same time intrigues you and requires your sympathy. 

The two things that held this back was the running time and Brad Pitt.  The run time falls shy of 3 hours.  I think they probably could have chopped some out and still been just as effective.  And Brad Pitt, while he tries to make Jesse James an intricate character, his acting really isnt great.  Fortunately the move succeeds despite this, and doesnt suffer because of it. 

It isnt always high on action but it isnt supposed to be, it's a docu-drama.  There is some action, kills, and a robbery but the main emphasis is on the characters and story.  You know how it is going to end, but the build up to it is fascinating.  Kind of like a story on the US's first real celebrity obsession and the dangers it causes. 

If you are looking for a good shoot em up western this isnt it.  It is more like a stylish moody western like The Long Riders.  But if you have the patients to sit through 160+ minutes of great storytelling and human paranoia/obsession this may be the film for you.

I saw this the other day and I must say it really surprised me.  I wasnt sure what to expect cause I heard RAVE reviews, and also heard crappy reviews.  If you arent a fan of moody, peried piece dramas, then I can understand not liking it.  But I got sucked into the story and the characters and the emotions they felt.  Acting was top notch!