Topic: Dexter Series Finale

Dexter has (finally) ended. I created this thread for us to discuss the show and what we think of the ending, so yes there will be spoilers for possibly every season.

So I just got finished watching the last episode there...what the hell was that? Seriously, Hannah is the worst character to ever be introduced into the show.

Ugh.

Re: Dexter Series Finale

Scavenger of Human Sorrow wrote:

Dexter has (finally) ended. I created this thread for us to discuss the show and what we think of the ending, so yes there will be spoilers for possibly every season.

So I just got finished watching the last episode there...what the hell was that? Seriously, Hannah is the worst character to ever be introduced into the show.

Ugh.

personally, i liked hannah.
but i think the entire show is going to be successful depending on your interpretation of it.
dexter, is messed up. the guys got issues. (and honestly, to some people he doesnt. he acts on urges that a lot of people have but dont act on. hell, he kills the bad guys. the dude deserves a a medal or at least a cuddle or something)
introducing any love interest into his life is just a connection - for the viewers. showing that anybody, no matter your issues, can find their counterpart in another person. Rita was how we fake it, lumen was how we try to make it work, and then hannah was his perfect match. she understood and loved him no matter what. which is all anybody ever wants. she was that sun beyond the clouds for viewers. like "no matter how messed up and crappy your life is now, there's hope. everybody deserves somebody"
again, personally i liked the ending. of course i cried like a baby. and i well up with tears thinking about it. but i think it was perfect. not only was the music very off base from their norm, but so was the overall feel. there was next to no voiceover. no harry. i loved that.
we got to see dexter back to how he used to be. we got to see his cold side, and his clever side. (ie, the showdown with oliver) that calm collected dexter is my favorite. he showed no joy or anticipation like he frequently has in the past seasons, but was more like he was in the beginning when we first met him. just cold. and that was great.
deb. now the part with deb has got peoples panties all up in a twist. but many of us have lost loved ones in a flash, a blur, no notice.. everythings going all swell and dandy andyou think all's great, then BAM! we found out just the way dexter did. and there was a finale moment. we felt that pain and shock and disbelief along with dexter. it was an experience moment. perfectly executed.
the whole point of the ending and having hannah be with harrison is that people would forever be asking and begging to know "then what?" like do they ever come back to america? what happens? do they get married? will harrison ever find out and go to his dad about what he does? they solved that issue - BUT - also gave you closure. we know where dex is. we know that he is closed off. he used to have a HUGE circle. people who cared. but he finally realized it was selfish of him to keep people close. it wasnt about being able to fool people anymore. it was about protecting them. so he completely isolated himself. with no manhunt might i add.
this will have people wondering "will they ever bring their worlds back together?" and the beauty is that if they decide they want to, they can - but if they dont get around to it. its alright. because it wasnt a cliffhanger finale. it was all nicely tied in a neat little bow.
i found it extremely satisfying. and i will for sure watch it all over again from the beginning smile

I loathed the finale.  Prepare yourself, because this is going to be a mouthful.  But first, as the OP said...

SPOILERS AHEAD!!! 

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE SERIES FINALE YET!

LAST WARNING!

OKAY, HERE WE GO:

My biggest problem with this season was Evelyn Vogel.  She kept calling Dexter the perfect psychopath, but Dexter in fact is NOT a psychopath.  Never was.  What kind of veteran psychologist doesn't understand the difference between a psychopath, who feels no emotion or regret, and a guy who's just suffering from a bad case of PTSD?  Harry and Vogel may have mistaken Dexter for a psychopath as a child, but going all the way back to the first season, Dexter begins a journey where every emotion becomes not faked, but genuinely felt.  The show was eight seasons of Dexter becoming human, realizing he in fact is NOT a psychopath, that he in fact does NOT have to kill.  For fuck's sake, he even cries in the final episode.  His journey to becoming human is complete.  How Vogel didn't recognize that is beyond me.

So for him to abandon Hannah and Harrison, for him to dump Deb into the ocean (don't even get me started on the killing off of Deb -- the  most unnecessary and gratuitous, "shock for the sake of shock" the show has ever put forth) and to end up faking his death and going off to a life completely devoid of human interaction is in direct conflict to the person we just spent eight years watching Dexter become.  The Dexter we came to know would never abandon his son; he'd never so callously dispose of the one woman, Deb, he actually HAS loved from the start of the show, and he most definitely would not have condemned himself to a life of empty solitude.  It was a cop-out of the worst and most egregious order.  I'm sure the showrunners were aiming for a deep and ironic ending, but in doing so they nullified and trivialized the entire show.

I'm not one for happy endings if they're not called for, but in the case of Dexter, a happy ending WAS called for.  After all the hell he'd been through, everything he'd done and learned about himself, Dexter deserved to spend the rest of his life with his son and the woman he loves; Deb deserved to live and eventually become captain of Miami Metro; Hannah (who I did like, and thought made a great addition to the show) deserved to be with Dexter and become Hannah's surrogate mother. 

Looking back over the last eight seasons, knowing now how it all ended, I'd have rather the show quit with season four.  The show never fully recovered from the loss of Rita (an episode which to this day I've only rewatched once, because it breaks my damn heart) but at least her death made sense; it was the result of something, it was a terrible but logical outcome of that season's storyline. 

But for them to make Dexter give up on life, to make him walk away from everything he'd spent the last eight seasons working so hard for, to have him with one foot in the door and then force him, against his character, to go off and leave it all behind...that was just plain fucking stupid, and makes the last eight years feel like a complete and utter waste.

When I look back at Dexter now, from here, the end, I don't understand the progression Dexter made as character. Lets just go through this quickly.

In season four, they killed off one of the best characters, Rita, to show that Dexter couldn't be in a relationship and all that jazz. He then gets with the chick he saves, I can't remember her name. She leaves too, Dexter is alone again.

The writers the whole are trying to hit you over the head with this notion that Dexter cannot be with someone and that he will be alone forever. And they keep doing this, throughout all the seasons. They never let it up. Then, from nowhere, they bring in Hannah. Now, they bring her back in season eight again and it's like

"OH DEXTER HAS GROWN, HE NOW CAN LOVE ANOTHER PERSON AND HE IS GREAT AND CAN LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER!"

Then...then...THEN they proceed to not even follow through with that! They abandon it as soon as they created it! I don't understand! Although I can't really see his character building in a way that makes him want to be with Hannah, but if you make that happen, at least give him that in the end instead of changing it all around again.

And since Harrison was born, all of us fans knew that Dexter would never leave him. But he goes against that shit too.

Nothing makes sense, I just don't understand. And it annoys me more than anything.

I would have preferred that Dex died if honest, or he got caught in the end. Or if the worst came to the worst, just a happy ending.

But we got this...weird ass, convoluted ending that lacks any type of logical reason.

Similar to what Lon said, the writers really took Dexter out of character in the finale (and all of the final season, really). Yes, he realised that he's ruined lives, but he would never have abandoned Harrison. Probably wouldn't have left Hannah either.

Whenever he let Daniel go the first time I groaned loudly.

Remember Dexter says in the season finale that he's afraid his actions would result in harm to Harrison and Hannah, right?  But that would be if he still suffered from his compulsion to kill.  But in season 8 it is made quite clear that Dexter not only no longer has a compulsive need to kill, he doesn't even like or want to anymore.  Hell, he doesn't even need Harry's Code anymore.  Furthermore there will never be any evidence to link him to any of his past killings, so there won't be any blow-back from those on Harrison or Hannah.  And since he's called it quits as a serial killer, there's no chance of any future murders blowing back on them. 

So what we have is a case of the writers completely ignoring canon -- not to mention logic -- and forcing Dexter to act like the complete opposite of the character we just spent eight years watching him become, for no reason other than they wanted a darker ending, despite the fact that in regards to the actual storyline it's an outcome which makes absolutely not one lick of sense whatsoever. 

The final shot of this series should have been Dexter, Hannah and Harrison frolicking on a beach on Argentina.  Not because it's what fans would have wanted, but because it would be the only logical, organic outcome of the story.

Yeah the worst part to this entire series....Lumberjack Dexter...seriously what the hell is that??!! like it looked like the start of some terrible TLC reality show!

LoudLon wrote:

Remember Dexter says in the season finale that he's afraid his actions would result in harm to Harrison and Hannah, right?  But that would be if he still suffered from his compulsion to kill.  But in season 8 it is made quite clear that Dexter not only no longer has a compulsive need to kill, he doesn't even like or want to anymore.  Hell, he doesn't even need Harry's Code anymore.  Furthermore there will never be any evidence to link him to any of his past killings, so there won't be any blow-back from those on Harrison or Hannah.  And since he's called it quits as a serial killer, there's no chance of any future murders blowing back on them. 

So what we have is a case of the writers completely ignoring canon -- not to mention logic -- and forcing Dexter to act like the complete opposite of the character we just spent eight years watching him become, for no reason other than they wanted a darker ending, despite the fact that in regards to the actual storyline it's an outcome which makes absolutely not one lick of sense whatsoever. 

The final shot of this series should have been Dexter, Hannah and Harrison frolicking on a beach on Argentina.  Not because it's what fans would have wanted, but because it would be the only logical, organic outcome of the story.

part of me agrees with you - but another point i think we need to remember is that we're watching a tv show about a serial killer.
motives or reason aside, he kills people.
for years they painted dexter in a positive light, and we all lost track of the fact that he actually murders people (for the greater good can be argued by many people, myself i love that he killed criminals because its what they deserve - BUT a lot of other people will think thats not such a great thing, you're still killing a human being)
whether or not at the end of the show he was over the "urge" or not - would it really be appropriate to have a happy ending for someone that possibly killed hundreds of people?

there's the bottom line of not rewarding bad actions. its not a very good message to set across.
and for those that say "its just a tv show, they're not condoning murdering people obviously"
well if thats the case, then dont get all upset about it either tongue

dexter understood the equation. he knew that everytime he got close to having happiness, it was ripped away. and the same for those around him. the last straw was deb. after deb died (essentially because of him) he knew that removing himself from everyones lives would be the only way for them to have a happy existence.

whether or not you liked the ending, i think they accomplished their goal. everybody is talking about it. and nobody wants a finale nobody wants to talk about.

Last edited by LuLuLuhxe (2013-10-07 10:36:59)

I don't think it's about rewarding bad actions or sending out a good message.  In the context of this particular fictional character, yes, he deserved a happy ending.

The one thing to understand is that the entire series, regardless of its success, is based on one fundamentally flawed concept -- that Harry found Dexter as a child sitting in a pool of his mother's blood, and assumed that Dexter would be so traumatized that he'd grow up to be a psychopath.

An assumption.  By a supposedly experienced cop.  Who should know after years of dealing with all manner of criminals that behavior is learned.  Ingrain into a child and raise him to believe that responsibility is important, and that child will grow up to be responsible.  Ingrain into a child and raise him to believe that he's a psychopath who will eventually want to murder people, that child will grow up to be a psychopath who wants to murder people.  But he won't be a TRUE psychopath, he'll just think he is, because he was raised to behave as one.  Because psychopathy isn't a learned behavior, it's a mental disorder.  But even if Dexter were a true psychopath, psychopathy can be treated.  Harry -- again, a seasoned, experienced cop -- would know that.

So really, every life Dexter has ever taken is on Harry's hands because of Harry's false assumption, and by extenion on Dr. Vogel's hands because this supposedly master therapist mistook a boy with PTSD for a friggin' psychopath (DURH!!!) and helped Harry create The Code.  Together they ensured Dexter grew up to believe he was a psychopath, and it took him his entire life plus the eight years we watched him to realize he actually wasn't one.  And when he finally does come to that understanding, what happens?  The show runners fuck him right up the ass with a twelve-foot dildo and force the character to make a decision which we know damn well that character would never make.

In comic books it's called PIS -- Plot-Induced Stupidity.  Like Batman knocking out Superman because Bats has a kryptonite ring.  But if Superman knows Bats has that ring (and he does), then why would Superman ever get within arm's reach of Batman when he can just fry him from a distance with heat vision or freeze him from across the block with his super-breath? 

In Dexter's case, the PIS is that Dexter would abandon his family and go off by his lonesome for fear of his murderous urge and/or the possibility that his past crimes will catch up to him, despite the fact that he's finally shed himself of that murderous urge, and knows for a fact that his past crimes will NEVER catch up to him because he covered his tracks so effectively.

So sure, they accomplished the goal of making a series finale everybody would talk about, but I bet that right now, they really wish they'd come up with an ending which didn't result in all that talk being overwhelmingly negative.

The show greatly dipped in quality after season 4. The season finale was rough.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-WPYxyaNt3KM/UyjGW4QJv7I/AAAAAAABXIA/tigz4zYKi6c/s1600/tumblr_mtm5eeMTmH1qacfr3o1_1280.jpg
I would've liked to see Dexter's boat go down in the hurricane and Dexter dead at the bottom of the ocean with his victims and Deb.

Dr. Vogel and Hannah were horrible characters.

Last edited by Harsh Creep (2014-06-18 17:46:09)

Finally on  Season eight

That was sad final to the series .