Topic: Did anyone see a Japanese horror movie that was similiar to the...

"Butterfly Effect", there has to be some japanese/korean/Thai movie somewhat
like this one, because it seems to good for an American horror film.

Let me know if you have.

Re: Did anyone see a Japanese horror movie that was similiar to the...

Well the Butterfly Effect was an original movie, not a remake or anything like that.  I am sure it is possible there is another movie out there than has certain elements or ideas in common with this one, as that often happens in horror films.  But Butterfly Effect doesnt have any other movie as it's material source.  Sorry if thats not much help.

But I am kind of curious about your statement that it is "too good for an American horror film"  I think there are plenty of good American horror films that dont have to rely on any sort of remade material to be good/successful.

I just figured with the sequels that the American's have made horror movie-wise,

I just figured this wasn't based on an original concept.

I heard it was similiar to Jacob's Ladder, but I don't know if Jacob's ladder was based

on a Japanese/Korean/Thai horror movie.

I don't see any similarity what so ever between Butterfly Effect and Jacob's Ladder. I would be interested to hear everyone else's opinions on that.

Butterfly Effect was a quantum leap/time travel affair that seemed to be about self-sacrifice.
Jacob's Ladder dealt with salvation and the reconciliation of one's life by the soul, that seemed to be about self-acceptance/actualizing.

Just my opinion though. Like I wrote, I'd like to read if anyone else thinks that there is any sort of similarity between these two movies.

Yeah, I don't know how half of these people come up with similarities between 2 different
movies.

"Jacob's experiences appear to have been a form of purgation in which he releases himself from his earthly attachments."

That quote sound's similar to the main character in the butterfly effect having to free
himself from the relationship with the girl that he likes in the movie, to prevent crap
from happening to her, and him, and anyone else related to her, or him.

So, they both free themselves from earthly attachments, perhaps.

Also the butterfly effect and jacob's ladder, use what some people like to call,
the "ladder effect".

Both ladder's are lead to somewhere in the individual's mind, creating a co-existence.

I think that's 2 reason's why these 2 movies are similar.

Last edited by jbeannie (2007-10-09 15:32:46)

Heh.. this stuff just makes me kind of chuckle to myself.. Sometimes American horror can be good.. Asian horror isn't always so great just because you have watched all the good stuff don't think there isn't a pile of shit that Japan hasn't released here in the states.

The whole Jacobs Ladder/Butterfly Effect discussion I don't really understand.. Butterfly Effect had to do with time travel.. Jacobs Ladder was really a mind fuck of strange delusions and all kinds of crazy stuff.. Not sure I see the similiarities between the two..

Goon wrote:

Asian horror isn't always so great just because you have watched all the good stuff don't think there isn't a pile of shit that Japan hasn't released here in the states.

Agreed. And for someone like me who can't stand how slow paced Asian, mostly Japanese, movies are, you start to wonder what the big deal was with JHorror in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I jumped on the bandwagon when The Ring and The Grudge came out and of course checked out the Japanese originals as quickly as possible. I've found out that if you've seen one or two Japanese horror movies featuring long black haired, pale female ghosts, then you've pretty much seen them all.

The only way I would compare 'Jacob's Ladder' to 'The Butterfly Effect' would be how the mind's perception of reality and actual reality itself are pitted against each other.

Everyone like's something's and dislike's other thing's, but yeah comparision's between 2 movies can be found if someone take's the time and effort to find the similarities.

i see jacobs ladder as a man coming to terms with his mortality by seeing how his life would play out and understanding that when its your time its your time. butterfly deals with causality and ashton's charter learning that you cant make fate bend to your own will w/o reproductions. imo different concepts but similarities im sure could be found.

If anyone is interested in the similarities between Jacob's ladder and butterfly effect that I found, was somewhere in wikipedia.

Last edited by jbeannie (2007-10-18 18:08:18)