Topic: Tim Burtons Batman

iv talked with alot of people at school about tht\is, and i figured i should ask you guys on here. alot of people dont like Burtons version of Batman and i was wondering what you all though of it, and why?
i personally love the movie, and its my favorite batman movie for several reasons. first, Jack Nicholson did a great job as the Joker, and i really enjoied watching him play that roll. i also think that Michal Keaton did a great job as batman, i dont think he was the best bruse Wayne ever, but that was ok. the entire movie had a really dark and creepy feel to it, like the comics do. i also think that it had a much more realistic feel to the entire movie unlike Schumacher. in his batman movies, people fly into walls and stuff when the get hit, and it just seems alot less realistic. so what do you guys think?

Re: Tim Burtons Batman

I was a huge fan of this flick when it first came out and watched it numerous times at the cinema.  I checked it out again a couple years ago and it came off as very dated; the Prince soundtrack also felt more gimmicky when I rewatched it after all those years.

Jack Nicholson -- what can you say that hasn't already been said?  The guy's great, steals every scene he's in and chews up the scenery like there's no tomorrow.  It's just that after almost twenty years and multiple viewings, its lost some of its charm for me.  Which is odd, considering the original Dawn of the Dead is almost thirty years old, I've seen it at least a hundred fifty times but it NEVER gets old for me.

Hinky.

Last edited by LoudLon (2007-08-22 16:12:18)

I love the Tim Burton "Bat" films. The Summer of '89 was the summer of Batman. You couldn't look anywhere without seeing those basic Bat-symbol logos. It was a true "event film."

What Burton did a great job with was capturing the feel of the comics at the time. There was also a sense of "magic" there, where it felt "real" but also dream-like at the same time. The beautiful set design, in it's grand-scale - enhanced by backgrounds made of matte-paintings rather than cgi - made it seem so much bigger. The darkness, and the feeling that the actors had lived in their characters was fantastic as well, helping the audience embrace a comic movie that wasn't "camp."

The one fault I have with them (now, but not back then), is that there are certain elements that "date" the movies. Some choices of hairstyle; Kim Basigner's dresses; the "Party-man" scene with the Joker (the Prince soundtrack was awesome at the time, but very '80's in retrospect).

I think the new Nolan films may succeed better is in becoming "timeless." While set in a very modern-looking world, there's enough influence of 20'-40's art-deco buildings, and subtle design nods to other decades that sort of blend the franchise re-boot into it's own timeframe. The use of a simple score without the added baggage of current pop-music also does wonders in maintaining a lasting appeal.

Schumacher's Bat-films, while enjoyable in a sort of campy 1960's series-on-steroids-kinda-way, suffer enormously due to the soundtracks they were inevitably crafted to sell (along with toys, cod-pieces, etc). Kiss From a Rose anyone?

LoudLon wrote:

I checked it out again a couple years ago and it came off as very dated; the Prince soundtrack also felt more gimmicky when I rewatched it after all those years.

Looks like we were typing almost the same thing, at the same time wink

I really like the Tim Burton versions of Batman and cannot stand Schumackers neon, day-glo vomit version of a good franchise. I was hugely pissed to see Arnold as Mister Freeze and that movie was joke. I am now a huge fan of Chris Nolans vision for the dark knight. Batman Begins was terrific and the Dark Knight looks to be even better. Check out the make-up for Heath Ledger as the Joker, bad ass.

JamesZahn wrote:
LoudLon wrote:

I checked it out again a couple years ago and it came off as very dated; the Prince soundtrack also felt more gimmicky when I rewatched it after all those years.

Looks like we were typing almost the same thing, at the same time wink

Jinx, buy me a coke.:D

Not a fan of the kitchy style of Burton's Batman.  I like about 1/2 of his films and am seriously turned off by the others.  Keaton did not have the depth and intensity I see Bruce/Batman as having.  He's supposed to look like he could kick your ass in or out of costume.  I'd laugh if Michael Keaton threatened me.  And I'm a girl.  Jack Nickleson (sp?) was good with character, but not quite the physicality of Joker.   This was fun when it came out, but it's certainly lost its edge over time.  I agree with the above statements about the visuals and soundtrack.

I understand that Burton was going for a comic feel, but even the comic strives for a darker vision, which the Nolan versions are achieving.  The new movies are far more "bad ass" looking, Christian Bale plays the playboy and the hero quite well, and the cheese factor is next to nil.

I actually love Burton's Batman and Batman Returns. I love the style and the feel for both of them. Just how they have that dark feel. They way how each of all the buildings and storylines were done. To me both of those are classics. I look at all the other Batman movies as not the true Batman movies. As of right now there are only 3 true Batman movies: Batman, Batman Returns, and Batman Begins. But you can't beat the original Batman: Adam West and Michael Keaton.

now i havent seen batman begins yet, so i cant compare Burtons films to that one. but the origional batman from 1966 with Adam West, that movie was just funny.

i gotta admit i like all the batman movies but im a sucker for batman. the NEW batman ficks though are the best. Batman Begins blew me away and The Dark Knight will no doubt do the same.

I actually really enjoy Burton's Batman movies.  I like the darkness and overall feel of them.

That being said, I think Tim Burton is an egotistical, pompous ass who's extremely overrated as a director.  He has some truly good gems in his collection, but on a whole, most of his movies border on being ok.

i enjoyed the first batman with nicholson, but it went downhill fast after that. there should be a special circle of hell reserved for whoever thought the nipple suit was a good idea. batman begins really saved batman for me and i am looking forward to the next one. joel schumacher is a good director but i think even though he was directing the studio was making all the decisions. just like tobe hooper with poltergeist, schumacher was credited as director but not involved in the decision making process. (i hope)

Batman Begins was really good and I am excited to see the sequel especially since the villain will be the Joker (my all time favorite Batman villain), but the Tim Burton movies were awesome.  The only one that could have been better was Batman & Robin because I'm not a fan of Robin.  Batman is the best super hero, but he doesn't need Robin.

Constantce wrote:

Not a fan of the kitchy style of Burton's Batman.  I like about 1/2 of his films and am seriously turned off by the others.  Keaton did not have the depth and intensity I see Bruce/Batman as having.  He's supposed to look like he could kick your ass in or out of costume.  I'd laugh if Michael Keaton threatened me.  And I'm a girl.  Jack Nickleson (sp?) was good with character, but not quite the physicality of Joker.   This was fun when it came out, but it's certainly lost its edge over time.  I agree with the above statements about the visuals and soundtrack.

I understand that Burton was going for a comic feel, but even the comic strives for a darker vision, which the Nolan versions are achieving.  The new movies are far more "bad ass" looking, Christian Bale plays the playboy and the hero quite well, and the cheese factor is next to nil.

I totally agree w/ this. Michael Keaton is one of my fave actors (he was *amazing* in the "The Paper"), but I don't like him as Batman. I do like Christian Bale as Batman and the slick/quick way Nolan made the movie. I'm not always a fan of that pacing, but for the Batman franchise, I think it makes the lead super hero way more bad-ass when he's lightning-fast and built like a super hero. For example, during the first warehouse scene where Batman first jumps Falcone's thugs, it's cut so fast you can't really see what he's doing and it makes it more powerful, imo. But the first time Keaton catches those two guys (petty thieves) on the roof, it's so plodding, it takes away the magic, for me. Nolan/Bale best combo so far, I think.

I am a big fan of the Tim Burton's Batman and Batman Return films. It really captured the dark nature of the characters. Nolan is doing that as well and I am looking forward to seeing the Dark Knight in the summer. I don't think anyone can ever out do Jack Nicholson's performance as the Joker though.

Tim Burtons Batman was my favorite one i liked batman returns also but my second fav is batman forever i loved Jim Carrey in it as the riddler........hated batman & robin, it sucked balls i just don't think i like Chris O'Donnel or whatever his name is

Hard2Kill wrote:

I really like the Tim Burton versions of Batman and cannot stand Schumackers neon, day-glo vomit version of a good franchise. I was hugely pissed to see Arnold as Mister Freeze and that movie was joke. I am now a huge fan of Chris Nolans vision for the dark knight. Batman Begins was terrific and the Dark Knight looks to be even better. Check out the make-up for Heath Ledger as the Joker, bad ass.

Yea, the first one was great...but at this point where they took the character of BANE and made him into a mindless gorilla...oh boy, horrible.

I thought the first one was fantastic, at the time. I still have very few complaints about it, though personally I prefer the gritty realism of the newer ones. The imagery is more subtle and dark. I also prefer the newer performances, though again, I am not knocking the first film.