Re: Last horror movie you watched?

Saw Night of the Demon not too long ago and was also pleasantly surprised at how good it was.

Ragnbone wrote:
jrs1991 wrote:

The Beast of Yucca Flats

One of the best-worst movies of all time.

and continuing with that thought.....tonight, I am going to watch a movie I have been waiting to see for a really long time.  I first read about  it in the 70's in The Monster Times.  Needless to say, TMT was not kind to this movie, made from the same people who brought you the magnificently bad Shriek of the Mutilated.   This movie is right up there with Blood Freak!

Tonight's movie, The Invasion of the Blood Farmers!!

All I have to say about this movie is....5 minutes in, and the people who made this movie know nothing about film making.  I mean nothing. Better to try and fail than not to try at all, I guess.  This is a bottom of the barrel drive in flick, a classic for being so bad....it's bad.  So far, I enjoyed Shriek better but it's along the same lines.  Shriek at least had one truly frightening moment toward the end.  I got to give these guys credit for getting this distributed.  If you want to see a truly bad movie, skip Birdemic and check this out!!

The only thing positive I can say about this movie is these people must have had a blast filming it!!

Last edited by Ragnbone (2014-08-18 20:32:29)

The Terror

After a pretty crappy day, how can I let this night go to waste without another movie?

Tonight's second feature:  Evil Dead (remake)

Thought the prologue was kind of weak.  Dug the introduction of the drug intervention, but I only wish they would have delved into it more.  The original was a cheap classic with state of the art effects.  This one was more dark, more polished.  The original broke ground.  This one seemed like every other horror movie out there today.  Wasn't necessarily bad standing on it's own,  I really liked it, but it was not a classic next to the original.

30 minutes in now......digging this a lot.  Like what they did with it. 

45 in.....Holy crap, this movie's brutal, insane! 

Great movie!

1 hr. in, highly recommend this movie, it rules.   The brutality is unrelenting!!  Excellent.

Last edited by Ragnbone (2014-08-18 23:12:19)

I really liked the remake. Have fun! I am about to watch You're Next.

I hope tomorrow is better for you! The Evil Dead remake is pretty awesome.

I've been piecing out Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy. I never realised number two was so homoerotic... lmao

Last edited by Harsh Creep (2014-08-18 22:00:54)

I watched Never Sleep Again recently.  It was really entertaining.  How did you not know about the second NOES being what it was? lol I laughed so many times in the second one.
You're Next is interesting so far but kinda driving me crazy. The decisions these characters are making just don't make sense to me.

Bloody Murder. Pretty terrible movie but entertaining

Jenifer (Masters of Horror Episode Four of Season One) - 7/10

This is one of Dario Argento's contributions to the MOH television series. Put simply, I enjoyed it. The story was fairly intriguing, blending eroticism with savage brutality. Steven Weber (whom reminds me very much of Peter Cushing -- anybody else know where I'm coming from on that?) stars as local town cop, Frank Spivey, and dolls out a pretty solid performance. I liked his work in Desperation, but seeing this role of his has made me more of a fan. Despite my enjoyment of the episode, I do have some complaints, mainly concerning some of the really stupid and completely illogical decisions that Frank makes in regards to handling Jenifer. But if I elaborate further on those, I'll be giving out a bunch of spoilers. Plus the real reason I don't wanna articulate my complaints: I'm lazy and want to watch another MOH episode instead of sitting here ranting. So I'll leave the episode at a solid 7 on the Creature-Meter.

==========================
The Creature-Meter (Movie Rating Scale/System, for your reference)
10 (A+) 9.5 (A) 9 (A-) 8.5 (B+) 8 (B) 7.5 (B-) 7 (C+)
6.5 (C) 6 (C-) 5.5 (D+) 5 (D) 4.5 (D-)
4, 3, 2 = Fail!
1 = Pitiful, the worst, a disease of a movie, etc., etc.

Last edited by The Creature (Yesterday 13:45:11)

riverash wrote:

I watched Never Sleep Again recently.  It was really entertaining.  How did you not know about the second NOES being what it was? lol I laughed so many times in the second one.
You're Next is interesting so far but kinda driving me crazy. The decisions these characters are making just don't make sense to me.

I had no idea about the innuendo in Freddy's  Revenge until I saw the documentary, probably because I was a kid since I last saw that one.  Now that I look back at that dance scene though lol.

As for You're Next, the decision making is part of the joke that the movie is in on, like the intentional slow motion for an obviously bad idea.

Last edited by Promise (Yesterday 15:30:14)

Pelts (Masters of Horror Episode 6 of Season 2) - 7.5/10

One of the absolute goriest MOH episodes yet! Apparently, Dario Argento decided to go all out on this one. I'm fairly desensitized to blood and guts in the movies by now, but there were a few scenes in this episode which definitely made me grimace. And not only do we get to see a lot of gore, we also get to see its best companion: stripper boobs! Ellen Ewusie's stripper boobs, in particular. tongue

The story itself is a strange one. It could have gone a lot deeper, but I think the time constraints of directing a television episode might have been one limitation on Argento's output on this one. I'd love to see a horror film wherein this ep.'s concept is stretched out and added to in depth. 

Meat Loaf does a good job playing the loud-mouthed, greedy and vain fur-trader. I was pleasantly surprised by how decent his performance was. John Saxon appears in this episode as well, but he doesn't stay for long. His demise, by the way, is fairly gruesome.

4, 3, 2 = Fail!

The Last Horror Film (1982)

5/10.

^^^^
Never heard of that before , how was it ?

Revolt of the Zombies

Right to Die (Masters of Horror Episode 9 of Season 2) - 7.5/10

Rob Schmidt's (Dir. of Wrong Turn, The Alphabet Killer) episode centers around a solid supernatural-revenge story with a social-political issue as its back-drop. Martin Donovan stars in this episode, another good actor who isn't often recognized for his work. The MOH TV series seems to seek these kind of low-profile actors out, and I can understand why.

There are some pretty hideous moments in Right to Die, but there's still a sort of light humor that's tossed around throughout. My only real complaint about the episode is the ending...it seemed a bit too nonchalant.

4, 3, 2 = Fail!

Tonight's movie:  The Strangers.

Kind of know what this movie is about.  I like the claustrophobic feel it has.

This movie was pretty much what I expected.  A couple trapped in a house by 3 masked strangers out to kill them for whatever reason.  A lot of good scares in this.  I enjoyed this one.

My only complaint....It very plausibly could have ended at :44 mins in, if the 2 would have played their cards right....oh well, stupid people make for a good horror movie I guess.

The part about the radio really bugged me.  Why would they even consider something so stupid as that?  Who on earth would be listening at that hour?  Like I said.....

Last edited by Ragnbone (Yesterday 23:03:26)

@Promise I watched NOES 2 when I was a teenager so I thought it was a little more in your face than just an innuendo. lol Glad you didn't pick up on all of that as a kid.

I liked You're Next.  Just character choices drove me crazy.  I kept thinking my parents or siblings would have stopped me from going outside not encouraged it!