Re: What's the last book you read or bought?

More books for my library:

History of Rome by Michael Grant
The Emperor's New Mind by Roger Penrose
Flim-Flam!: Psychics, ESP, Unicorns, & Other Delusions by James Randi
The Constitution of the United States (pocket sized)
The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
Info-Psychology: A Manual On The Use of the Human Nervous System According to the Instructions of the Manufactures by Timothy Leary (this will be a fun one)
Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe
The Metamorphosis & Other Stories by Franz Kafka
Grimms' Fairy Tales by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm
On the Social Contract by Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Self-Reliance and Other Essays by Ralph Waldo Emerson
Wisdom of the Buddha: The Unabridges Dhammapada
The Republic - Plato
Mark Twain on Religion: What is Man, The War Prayer, etc.

I will be busy for years reading all of these, but I'm psyched.

Just picked up:
Web of the City by Harlan Ellison
Everyman's Library (a collection of works) by Dashiell Hammett
The Black Mask Boys: Masters in the School of Hard Boiled Detective Fiction edited by William Nolan
The Big Black Lizard Book of Black Mask Stories edited by Otto Penzler
L.A. Confidential by James Ellroy
White Jazz by James Ellroy
Clandestine by James Ellroy

The Creature, that Grimms' Fairy Tales I have this in french and that's the only book I still have from my childhood. Can't believe I still have it. Some 30 years later.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2014-07-18 01:22:53)

^ That's awesome, Punk. Keep good hold of it! I bet it must be worth some money by now. And if not yet, it probably will be. 

Just picked up some really cool books on horror:

Monsters in the Movies by John Landis
(expensive book, but I'm really looking forward to it. big_smile)

A Pictorial History of Horror Movies by Dennis Gifford
An Illustrated History of the Horror Film by Carlos Clarens
Reel Terror: The Scary, Bloody, Gory, Hundred-Year History of Classic Horror Films by David Konow
101 Horror Movies You Must See Before You Die
Horror Cinema by Steven Jay Schneider, Paul Duncan
The Horror Film by Ivan Butler
Horror!: 333 Films to Scare You to Death by James Marriot, Kim Newman

Most of these were pretty cheap, and some of them are older books from the 70's and 80's, so they have a certain retro charm to them already.

Last edited by The Creature (2014-07-28 18:49:58)

Very nice selection, I need to get some more books on film. Centipede press have a mighty expensive tome on Nosferatu (1922) that gives me a book boner.
I have that 101 Horror Films, it's a very solid list, hard to argue, but be warned every page is full of spoilers. Also cool to see a Kim Newman book, been meaning to read some of her work.

Not exactly horror but still one of my favorite books:

PunBB bbcode test

Haven't read a good Magic book, some painfully bad. But I have an old school one from like '95 called Tapestries that has a decent selection of short stories. Never read that one though.

^^^
Yeah, the anthology ones are really good! I think I've read every magic book haha. The reason why they're hit or miss is that they are written by various authors. The Brothers War through the Odyssey Cycle are really good, I recommend them. After the Odyssey Cycle they kinda go downhill, except the Mirrodin Cycle was alright. Of course, I'm a huge fan of Magic the Gathering so my opinion is biased tongue

X TYRANT X wrote:

Not exactly horror but still one of my favorite books:

PunBB bbcode test

MAGIC RULES!!! Best thing ever aside D&D, of course. big_smile

Still climbing the 879 pages of Necronomicon but I've been stuck and reading back page 666 over and over again for a few days. Wonder why. lol

Then switch to Sky-Doll, one of the best series of Graphic Novels I've read. Insany gorgeous drawings.

http://www.nonsolomanga.it/imm_fumetti1/skydoll/skydoll2_cop.jpg

http://vggn.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/planche_bd_171_skydoll1.jpg

Last edited by kXnPunk (2014-07-29 16:43:11)

X TYRANT X wrote:

^^^
Yeah, the anthology ones are really good! I think I've read every magic book haha. The reason why they're hit or miss is that they are written by various authors. The Brothers War through the Odyssey Cycle are really good, I recommend them. After the Odyssey Cycle they kinda go downhill, except the Mirrodin Cycle was alright. Of course, I'm a huge fan of Magic the Gathering so my opinion is biased tongue

Huge Magic nerd here too, I just couldn't stand the books. Actually just in the process of cleaning up and organizing my cards.

^^^
Got a few too. Sweet little bastards. lol

^^^
Yeah, I started playing when I was 9... I've spent way too much money on that game but totally worth it smile

Theli wrote:

Very nice selection, I need to get some more books on film. Centipede press have a mighty expensive tome on Nosferatu (1922) that gives me a book boner.
I have that 101 Horror Films, it's a very solid list, hard to argue, but be warned every page is full of spoilers. Also cool to see a Kim Newman book, been meaning to read some of her work.

Thank you, Sir. I'll keep the spoilers in mind when I read "101 Horror".
As for the Nosferatu tome, that sounds excellent. I'll have to look it up, just to see how they put it together.

I enjoy playing Magic with a buddy of mine every other weekend. We've been playing for about five or six years now. Hasn't gotten old yet!

^^^
Hah, never gets old!! Few other things (except horror movies) bring me more joy than Magic smile

X TYRANT X wrote:

^^^
Yeah, I started playing when I was 9... I've spent way too much money on that game but totally worth it smile

Started D&D 30 years back but been 10 years I haven't played. Still at level 57 anyways. lol

^^^
D&D was one I never got the opportunity to play. I'd love to take it up but idk anyone who plays it. Me and my brother who is 19 (3 years younger than me) right now are both competitive Magic players so it's fun to face off against him at home or in a tournament smile  There's always arguments/rematches when we get home from facing each other in tournament play haha!

X TYRANT X wrote:

^^^
Hah, never gets old!! Few other things (except horror movies) bring me more joy than Magic smile

I'm with you 100%. I've been playing Magic for 19 years, since I was 8 years old.

Last edited by Theli (2014-07-29 23:40:01)

X TYRANT X wrote:

^^^
D&D was one I never got the opportunity to play. I'd love to take it up but idk anyone who plays it. Me and my brother who is 19 (3 years younger than me) right now are both competitive Magic players so it's fun to face off against him at home or in a tournament smile  There's always arguments/rematches when we get home from facing each other in tournament play haha!

I used to be a bit more competitive, nowadays the only time I go to tournaments is the rare prerelease if I have the weekend off.

D&D I started shortly after Magic, probably like 9 or 10 years old, and DMed for the first time in high school. Used to have a big troupe, but hardly ever got stuff done. Was always fun though. It's better with a more devoted group and DM though. Last few we did were more planned out, and flowed better, but just didn't end up lasting due to lack of interest and work schedules.

As we're in the Books thread, I DIG my D&D Monsters Manual book. Glorious cover art. big_smile

https://images.funagain.com/cover/huge/10899.jpg

This was my favourite supplementary handbook:
http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/bestselling-sci-fi-fantasy-2007/1919-1.jpg

Last edited by Theli (2014-07-29 23:56:34)

^^^
Damn their art is MAD!!! big_smile

Just finished reading The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving

Last edited by horrorfan26 (2014-08-15 20:49:01)

^ Another classic I should probably read.

I don't know exactly when I'm going to learn to stop burying myself in movies and books, but I picked all these up for $7 at a garage sale after work today:

Broca's Brain by Carl Sagan
Man and Superman by George Bernard Shaw
Existentialism in Education by Van Cleve Morris
Darwin by Philip Appleman
Sex in History by Reay Tannahill
The Encyclopedia of Celtic Widom by Caitlin & John Matthews
The Ape People by Geoffrey Bourne
Western Civilization: A Concise History
Essentials of Earth History (texbook)
Delores Claiborne by Stephen King