Topic: Interview: Keanu Reeves, Winona Ryder & Richard Linklater

Here is a snippet of the interview Sheila did with them on MoviesOnline.

Q. Winona, what do you think that you brought to this role that was special because you were familiar with Philip K Dick? I mean, through your family.

Winona Ryder: Hopefully something (laughing). I don’t know. I just feel so lucky that I got the part because I was such a huge fan, but I mean I was so completely drawn to it. I was just lucky that he (director Richard Linklater) picked me.

Q. Rick, how necessary was this thematically to do in rotoscope? Do you think you could have done this live action or some other way?

Richard Linklater : Technically, you could have done it live action but I never thought of it that way. I thought it’d kind of be… well, the scramble suit would probably be really weird live action. It would be strange. Once you kind of jump into this world, kind of this graphic novel look, everything fits it. And I think it’s the right way to tell the story.

The way the rotoscoping works on your brain as you watch it. This kind of computer variance of rotoscoping. I think it puts you into the right head space to have a similar experience that the characters are having.
Q. Keanu and Winona, you guys took these roles for substantially less money than actors of your caliber typically work. Why? What was it about this project?

Keanu Reeves : Great story. Great story for me. Great role. Important story. And it was the way we could get it done.

Winona Ryder: And this guy (pointing to Linklater) and him (nodding to Reeves), I’ve just, like I said, feel really lucky. Usually the movies that you do for a lot less money are the ones you enjoy more, for me, I find.

Q. How did you see Donna?

Winona Ryder: How did I see her? Well, the adaptation was what I concentrated on the most.

Q. Rather than the novel?

Winona Ryder: Well, I read the novel actually a couple years before. I had it by my bed during the whole time. Because it is different. There’s a little difference. I just saw her in a very, very hard position and starting to really care about someone that ... I kind of saw her…Actually there’s this song that Wilco does called "She’s a Jar."
If you listen to it, it really reminded me of her. She’s sort of stuck and not allowing herself to feel the full… to let herself go…and follow her heart because she really has this thing that she has to do for the right reasons ultimately, but it’s complicated.
Richard Linklater : It’s a tough situation to be in.

Winona Ryder: Heartbreaking.

Q. Since Philip K. Dick wrote the book, society has kind of caught up in that we do live in a surveillance society. Do you think the fact that we’re watched on line, we can be photographed in our car, we can be photographed walking on the street…. Is this a good or bad thing for society?

Winona Ryder: Bad. (laughter)

Richard Linklater : What would Philip K. Dick say, I wonder? Hmmm. (laughing) It’s a cautionary tale from the past. Thirty years ago. That’s what kind of amazes us. Even as we were working on this. We shot it two years ago, but in the interim, it’s become even more relevant. I think that’s just a tribute to what Philip K. Dick saw. The darker side of technology and this all pervasiveness in the hands of certain powerful entities…corporate and government. What that result is and how it affects the individual.

The ultimate disconnect or alienation in modern society. Ultimately, it’s from your friends, from yourself. The paranoia it sort of creates in this world. I don’t know. We’re living it. Back then it was just a paranoid conspiracy rant from the margin, but now it’s pretty much our world. It’s amazing how adaptive we are. London… England is worse than the U.S. as far as everything… your license plate... They’ve given up and said, ‘You’re just under surveillance all the time.’ Big brother is just all over.
Winona Ryder: I did my final in English comparing (the novel) "1984" to the year 1984.

Richard Linklater : You missed it by 20 years.

Winona Ryder: One of my favorite books is "Scoundrel Time" by Lillian Hellman. Even back then, that was just tapping phones and stuff like that. But now, I think it’s almost in a way dehumanizing… the perspective of watching people like that. They become less human. They become little things walking… It’s hard to answer this articulately. It is for me, from my point of view, pretty scary. I know in England they have cameras in certain areas on the street for crime reasons, and the crime rate did go down because of that, but there’s also that amazing thing in "1984" where he has one corner of his apartment that he can write in because he knows…

Richard Linklater : That’s it. The invasive quality. Once they’re in your house. And that’s what we have in this movie. Once they’re in your bathroom and your kitchen.

Winona Ryder: And the computers nowadays, too. That’s crazy. I don’t go on there.

Read the entire interview
http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_9144.html

Re: Interview: Keanu Reeves, Winona Ryder & Richard Linklater

she has followed this interview up with one with Tommy Pallotta & Rory Cochrane http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_9156.html