Re: \M/ETAL Thread

Slayer Heavy Montreal.

Crazy at 1:50... yikes

http://youtu.be/pTjwwwrjIEY

I will debate with anyone, that Dream Theater's lineup with John Petrucci, John Myung, Jordan Rudess, Mike Portnoy and James LaBrie was one of the talented bands to ever form.

Too bad they still sucked.

How? I'd love for you to explain why. They have some of the best progressive metal albums ever made. Of course if you dislike prog then yeah, I can see why.

Last edited by Scavenger of Human Sorrow (2014-08-16 12:03:26)

I love(d) Dream Theater. JP is one of my favorite guitarists. Portnoy is an awesome drummer. Mike Mangini is one of my all time favorite drummers. Myung is such an underrated bass player. Rudess is a musical genius, and like all genius', he's nuts, and honestly, his overplaying on everything drives me crazy. I prefer the Kevin Moore era. That brings me to LaBrie. Man... I used to like his voice, but ever since FII, his voice drives me up the wall. I'll only listen to the instrumental versions of their last few albums. I can say, him, and him alone, take the whole band down for me now.

I was just saying that about LaBrie to my friend yesterday! DT would be so much better now if they turned into an instrumental band solely. LaBrie's voice is goneeeeeeeeeeeee.

Eh. I don't really care for Dream Theater either and I love prog.

Anyway I discovered two awesome bands today: Altar of Plagues, and Krallice.  I guess you could say they're black metal with a post-rocky vibe (whatever the hell that actually means). Both very interesting to listen to as they each have a pretty unique style going for them.

^ I'm going to look into those bands.
I never fully got into Dream Theater either.

Not a huge DT fan. Though I do dig some stuff. Also don't listen to much black metal anymore , mostly just old school stuff. Bathory, Venom, Destroyer 666 and a few others like Darkthrone and Master's Hammer on occasion.

I don't listen to it that much anymore either, actually. Every once in a while, though, I'll scope out something new just to see what stands out.  This is the outcome.

I'd like to add The Ruins of Beverast. Both doom and black metal. Kind of in the same way Disembowelment is Grind and Doom.

Last edited by NonEuclidean (2014-09-27 17:06:41)

I don't listen to a lot of metal these days, but a lot of the tracks off the new Slipknot album are great.

The new Opeth is pretty fantastic, too. Moon Above, Sun Below is a longer tune, but it's worth the listen. Six minutes in and the song sounds like its off of an early Iron Butterfly album!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3sYPX17cFk

The new Opeth album is probably my favourite since My Arms, Your Hearse. Incredible album.

I've been listening to a lot of Candlemass lately. One of the best doom bands around!

^I love me some Candlemass, Epicus Doomicus Metallicus is a definite top 10 of all time for me.

Might be going to see GWAR on Thursday! big_smile

^ Oh badass! Enjoy Creech.

I've been listening to Opeth and Soulfly over the last week.

^ Thanks, Creeps! GWAR, Corrosion of Conformity, and a band called American Sharks is the plan for tonight.

I've seen Gwar and COC, but never heard of American Sharks. COC were decent, not exactly my thing, but solid nonetheless, quite groovy. Gwar, I dig, but don't listen to often. Live, however, it's a different matter. They absolutely destroy live. A fun show all around. Be ready to get soaked. Have fun!

Gwar's show at the Skyway theater in Minneapolis, MN. was INSANITY!!!
I was aware that they had their own brand of elaborate stage show, but didn't know it came with an actual story and narrative. I thought it was all pretty hilarious. The blood-spraying decapitated heads and buzz-saws were all the more badass. My friends & I had a lot of fun, for sure.

I missed out on Corrosion of Conformity, unfortunately, but did pick up their debut album on vinyl before leaving the theater.

Good to hear that you liked the show, knew you would! As for COC, too bad you missed their set. Their debut is going to be vastly different than most of their output. I actually prefer their earlier stuff, most don't though. Nice snag on the vinyl.

Last edited by Theli (2014-11-21 12:25:31)

^ Thanks, man. I'm listening to Eye For An Eye at the moment. The vinyl itself is really sweet. It has a translucent red color, instead of boring ol' black.

Going to see GWAR on Dec 9th in Toronto. Will be my, 15th time? Something like that. Gonna be weird no having Brockie (Oderus) there, but... sad

Haven't seen CoC in a while, so, that's something. Never heard of American Sharks before, but what I've heard, I don't care if we're late. ick

Have fun Zed! It'll different without Oderus but I'm sure it'll rock anyway.