Re: Last horror movie you watched?

Late Phases (2014), about a gruff, blind Viet Nam vet who moves into a retirement community he soon discovers is being preyed upon by a werewolf.  While it has a distinct Bad Moon-meets Bubba Ho Tep feel, unlike those films it takes itself seriously and plays it straight.  The performances are routinely good, particularly lead actor Nick Damici as the anti-social old veteran who refuses to sit idly by and allow himself to become the monster's next meal.

While the story doesn't win any prizes in the originality department, my biggest complaint is actually the werewolves themselves.  The transformation effects are well done and graphic, but the end results more resemble over-sized gremlins than ferocious werewolves, and aren't really all that well-crafted anyway.  Luckily there's enough suspense (all genuine) and splat (all nice and bloody) to make up for it.

Unsuccessful werewolf make-up aside, this is a solid, involving flick which should satisfy not only werewolf fans, but horror fans in general.  7/10

JJ wrote:

The Guest, Adam Wingard made another amazing movie, I really loved this one it was a really cool mix of genres and a really entertaining movie.

Sweet I'll have to look into it. Didn't know he had a knew one out.

Underdog: Let The Right One In:  Such a beautiful movie.  Would like to see the same director do a follow up.

Theli: "First we need the author to write one, which would be awesome, then the same director to adapt it, which would be even better. "

I wouldn't mind a different writer, as long as Tomas Alfredson directed.

Zombie  aka Zombi 2 (1979): Fulci's, masterpiece. No matter how many times I've watched this film, I'm always entertained.

Last edited by Underdog (2014-11-26 20:43:53)