Re: What R U Reading?

GHOST DADDY wrote:

Definitely recommended-or at least it would be to a person like me.  Taste is subjective so don't take MY word fot what YOU might like.

Of course!

Gone Girl

^Thoughts?

Man I wanna see the movie. Not only is David Fincher directing, he also has Trent Reznor of NIN score all his movies. You'd never guess he scored The Social Network. Talented dude.

Reading "The Island of Dr. Moreau".

^I need to read more Wells. What do you think so far?

^^ I need to read that too. Wells' Time Machine & War of the Worlds are both excellent science-fiction reads.

Ralph Waldo Emerson - Self-Reliance & Other Essays

Plus some poetry from Tennyson and Chaucer.

Just starting Ronald Kelly's Blood Kin.

I'm pretty excited because I visited my parents' house and found my old copies of these books so I've been reading them lately. They scared the shit out of me as a kid and even as an adult they're pretty damn good!

PunBB bbcode test

PunBB bbcode test

PunBB bbcode test

Oh, man I loved those as a kid. The art was fantastic.

^^^
Yeah, the art definitely makes the books so much better! When I started reading them recently I was afraid they wouldn't live up to how awesome I remembered them being, but they're still really good! They kind of remind me of Grimm's Fairy Tales but more evil haha.

^^ Picked up Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark yesterday at a small garage sale. Def. worth the pick-up. I'm one among the many who grew up reading them. And yes, the art is kick-ass!

Currently reading, "The Basic Writings of Sigmund Freud", which is utterly fascinating. I am skeptical of a few of the man's theories, but they are brilliantly composed nonetheless. Also still reading the poetry of Tennyson.

I have a small collection of Tennyson a friend gave me , should look through it again one of these days. Not big on many of Freud's theories, but I do appreciate his methods and innovations in psychology. I found Jung's work more intriguing when I was studying psychology.

Last edited by Theli (2014-10-19 20:41:33)

I agree for the most part. Carl Jung serves as utterly fascinating reading as well, but thus far I consider him to be on the same level as Freud in terms of interest, however divergent their theories of the psyche may be. The mysticism inherent in the experiences/form of the psyche as conceived by Jung is mind boggling. The deep knowing & scientific analysis of his Self is inherent in Freud's writing, which is also mind boggling in its impressiveness.

Reading these two rather slim books (though they're chalk full of great photographs of art, landscape, etc.): The Search for Ancient Rome & The Search for Ancient Greece. Both discuss the bare bones archaeological side of the exploration of the sites. Doesn't go into the actual history/mythos very much -- which is fine actually.

Last edited by The Creature (2014-11-01 11:50:14)

Poltergeist by James Kahn

Since I can listen to my ipod all day at my job I downloaded a bunch of H.P. Lovecraft's short stories which got me through another shift today smile

Re-reading Terence Mckenna's Food of the Gods.

Sudden Prey by John Sandford, it is the 8th in the prey series. Pretty good so far.

just finished a biography of Joss Whedon

Just finished Neuromancer, which I think the Matrix was based on. Though it's a somewhat dated book (written in the 80's) it was a really good read written by William Gibson. Quite a good look at the future!

Now I'm reading Saucer by Stephan Coonts. I'm about half way through. Pretty interesting premise. Looking forward to seeing how he completes it.

Have yet to read any Gibson, he's on the ever growing list of authors to check out. Polished off, Blood Kin then Necroscope by Brian Lumley, which I was already half finished. Both were enjoyable.

Now onto Robert McCammon's They Thirst.