Topic: What do people think of Battle Royale?

I haven't seen it yet, and I also like to know what people think about the movie's,
they've watched, and or seen.

So, what do you think?

neutral

Re: What do people think of Battle Royale?

This is a freakin awesome flick.. One of my favorite films period Asian or otherwise. This was actually the second horror Asian flick I had seen. It definitely made a fan out of me for Asian cinema for several years before they started to rehash films and old storylines..

You should definitely check this movie out.  It is probably in the top 3 of my favorite Asian flicks along with Oldboy and Tale of Two Sisters.

a great flick, but i havent seen the second one yet

I have never seen it before either but I plan on buying it soon. Is the sequel to it good too?

The sequel sucks Rip.  The first 30 to 40 minutes are cool, then it turns into nothing but propaganda and politics...

But I love the original.  My second favorite Asian horror film.  Read the book if you can cause it is so much more detailed.  It's awesome.

ive never seen battle royale but ive heard nothing but good things .. i probly should go check it out!

jmh314 wrote:

The sequel sucks Rip.  The first 30 to 40 minutes are cool, then it turns into nothing but propaganda and politics...

But I love the original.  My second favorite Asian horror film.  Read the book if you can cause it is so much more detailed.  It's awesome.

Thanks for the info. I will just buy the first one then.;)

I'm another Battle Royale fan. The first is way better than the second for sure. Don't miss it, you gotta see the original one.

Without a shadow of a doubt this is such a great movie. It is so fucking awesome. Not only see it but it is by far a must own.

I've read the novel, the manga, and have the movie....all very good in their own way.  The movie definitely is good, but the book by far is the best.  Lot more details as to whty people do what they do, and some backstory as to how they became the ways they are.  Good stuff.

Is the book in English?

Yeah there is an english copy of the book.  It's by Koushun Takami and is about 625 pages but I guarantee you you'll read it fast.

Nice

big_smile

There is a survey called "Which Battle Royale Character are You?" .  You should do it and see who you are:

http://www.cigamerisedi.com/quizbyliz/b … brquiz.htm

I would be pretty surprised if jmh could read Japanese lol

Yea its one of my favorite Asian films and although a lot of people really didn't like the sequel but I thought it was great.

I think EVERY junior high student should watch it as a precautionary tale.   And suddenly I wanna see it in a double feature with HEATHERS.  Dunno why.

Yeah, it rocks yer socks, mang.

http://www.cigamerisedi.com/quizbyliz/battleroyale/shuya.gif

big_smile

BR is a brillant flick I love "Beat" Takeshi Kitano preformance in it. if your a "beat" fan check out "Sonatine" he is great in that one too.

I saw it last night, very good.

To me, it look's like the American movie "Saw" could have been based or inspired by
this great Japanese Film.

big_smile

Last edited by jbeannie (2007-10-25 13:45:32)

I dont think you can compare Battle Royale to Saw.....major differences and were completely different films.....and Battle Royale predates Saw, so thats not even a fair comparison.

I edited my previous post, I was now saying that "Saw" might be based or inspired by that Japanese film.

Last edited by jbeannie (2007-10-25 13:47:43)

ehhh even that could be a little far fetched.  I just dont see the similarities between the two otehr than the fact that these kids are playing a "game" that involves their lives.  Really its two totally different style of film though....

What are your reasons to thinking it may have been an influence on Saw?  Just curious.

Ok, collar's that can explode, some random dude like Jigsaw I think allow's them to
spare there live's, only if they figure out how to get off the explosive collar.

People become friend's in even the crappiest of situation's, and then also turn against
each other like in Saw 3.

Killing yourself also seem's like an option in the Saw movie's, and this movie as well.

Am I wrong?

Last edited by jbeannie (2007-10-25 14:11:03)