Re: What do people think of Battle Royale?

i dont see it, they are both very different films. saw is a man trying (in a very twisted way) to re-affirm the importance of life and our choices. BR is a statement on youth culture abandoning traditional values and in turn eating itself.

So, no one horror movie can have similarities?

roll

^ not saying that. i just think the differences outweigh the similarities in this case. the similarities are rather superficial between these two films.

jbeannie wrote:

Ok, collar's that can explode, some random dude like Jigsaw I think allow's them to
spare there live's, only if they figure out how to get off the explosive collar.

People become friend's in even the crappiest of situation's, and then also turn against
each other like in Saw 3.

Killing yourself also seem's like an option in the Saw movie's, and this movie as well.

Am I wrong?

You arent wrong, you are entitled to your thoughts and opinions on films but I personlly dont agree.  The collars arent done by any random dude.  It is a government ran program and it is not intended for them to take these off to save their life.  The point is for them to die and these collars are there to ensure happens and helps regualte that it doesnt take too long for everyone to be killed. 

If the point was for them to find a way to get the collars off and "save" themselves, then yeah maybe.  But they are never told the point is to remove the collars and the only reason they were able to remove them is much better explained in the book than the movie.

And I think almost every horror movie many characters become friends in the crappiest situations.  This isnt anything that hasnt been done before and is in MANY movies. 

But like I said I dont see it persoanlly but that doesnt mean your thoughts are wrong.  They are your thoughts/opinions and everyone is entitled to them and is good to share and see where everybody stands.

^ well said jmh.

Great movie  i love it , MUST SEE!

I'm going to try to buy the book today.

I really think you will enjoy the book.  A lot more details on Kawada and Kiriyama, as well as many of the others like Shinji and how he came to make the bomb they were going to use to blow up headquarters.

And I still think people who enjoy this will really enjoy Tokyo 10+01  It is a big spoof on Battle Roayle but is some good corny fun!  I've got a thread on Toky 10+01 here: http://www.horror-movies.ca/Forum/viewtopic.php?id=6012

I bought the book.

big_smile

Anyone, jealous?

tongue

nope lol

(Brandon make's a sad face)

sad

Comparing *Battle Royale* to  the *Saw* franchise is like a truck filled with dogs in a tampon factory...

It just doesn't make any sense.

What is it with all these torture movies... one lousy war and suddenly none of us can get enough of this snuff... I guess it kinda taps into the childhood tendancy to pull the wings off flies, or severe snails eyes before throwing them onto the barby... we're secretly fascinated by it...

As long as the people being skewered, mutilated, maimed, burnt, labotmised, decapiated, hung, drawn and quartered, feed to piranah or snacked on by aliens -  are beautiful young things, I guess I will watch with morbid fascination.

Now excuse me I must get back down into my basement and crucify the bible salesman I captured this morning.

ta ta.

What do I think of "Battle Royale"?  I fucking love it.  The sequel is a major dissapointment, though.  I wouldn't waste your time.

TiM the Zombie wrote:

What do I think of "Battle Royale"?  I fucking love it.  The sequel is a major dissapointment, though.  I wouldn't waste your time.

Booooo! the sequel was a great film! big_smile

skfan wrote:
TiM the Zombie wrote:

Honestly SK, I think you are the first person I met who didnt think the sequel was crap.  I liked the first 30 to 45 minutes while they arrive on the island. But once they get inside Shuya's hideout, it all goes downhill.

^ ditto. so much potential and at the 50min mark it fell apart.

jmh314 wrote:
skfan wrote:
TiM the Zombie wrote:

Honestly SK, I think you are the first person I met who didnt think the sequel was crap.  I liked the first 30 to 45 minutes while they arrive on the island. But once they get inside Shuya's hideout, it all goes downhill.

I can see why people wouldn't have liked it but for me I just liked how they didn't just re-do the first one. Instead they went in a totally different way and created a very complex story which imo was great. smile

Finally got aorund to doing a review of Battle Roayle.  Seeing that its one of my top 10 favorite horrors, its an automatic 10/10 in my book.   

http://www.horror-movies.ca/reviews.php?id=2961

The first BR is a great flick.  Yes, the book is much better, but this was a great adaptation and is one of my all time favorite movies.  The second one is not crap, per se, but I did find myself waiting for it to end.

About the similarities with exploding collars in SAW, wasn't this also the theme in Running Man?  With a government punishing criminals (and those they don't like) by forcing them to play a game show?

Hmmm....they didnt have collars on in Running Man that I remember.  The game show was just set up so no one was supposed to be able to win.  They were supposed to die, but when Arnolds involved, shit happens and plans get fucked up.  lol

i remember a early to mid 80s si-fi prison flick where exploding collars were used. one inmate would be linked to another unknown inmate so if one would leave the perimeter both would go off, but for the life of me i cant place the flick.

The flick IS Running Man.  When Arnold is first arrested, he goes to a prison where they wear the collars.  Later, he is sentenced to the game show.

i havent seen running man since i was maybe 12 or 13. i need to give it a watch again.

hybrid moments wrote:

i remember a early to mid 80s si-fi prison flick where exploding collars were used. one inmate would be linked to another unknown inmate so if one would leave the perimeter both would go off, but for the life of me i cant place the flick.

Actually, in rereading your post I remembered another one with the pairing of inmates.  It was called Wedlock with Rutger Hauer.  I think this came out a couple of years after Running Man.  No game show, but higher collar profile.

I love stupid action movies from the 80s and early 90s.