Topic: 13 year old Illinois student gets detention for hugging friends

Here is something that makes me ashamed to be from the state of Illinois.  A 13 year old girl was given two days detention because she hugged two friends goodbye at the end of the week.  Administrators state that she broke the "no public displays of affections" policy that they have for their school!

CRAP!  People need to just get over crap like this and let people live their lives.  I mean if school football players can hug after a score or pat each other on the ass, but a 13yr old girl is "discrediting the school" and using "poor taste/judgement" for hugging her friends, I think thats complete and udder bullshit! 

MASCOUTAH, Ill. - Two hugs equals two days of detention for 13-year-old Megan Coulter. The eighth-grader was punished for violating a school policy banning public displays of affection when she hugged two friends Friday.

"I feel it is crazy," said Megan, who was to serve her second detention Tuesday after classes at Mascoutah Middle School.

"I was just giving them a hug goodbye for the weekend," she said.

Megan's mother, Melissa Coulter, said the embraces weren't even real hugs — just an arm around the shoulder and slight squeeze.

"It's hilarious to the point of ridicule," Coulter said. "I'm still dumbfounded that she's having to do this."

District Superintendent Sam McGowen said that he thinks the penalty is fair and that administrators in the school east of St. Louis were following policy in the student handbook.

It states: "Displays of affection should not occur on the school campus at any time. It is in poor taste, reflects poor judgment, and brings discredit to the school and to the persons involved."

Coulter said she and her husband told their daughter to go ahead and serve her detentions because the only other option was a day of suspension for each skipped detention.

"We don't agree with it, but I certainly don't want her to get in more trouble," Coulter said.

The couple plan to attend the next school board meeting to ask board members to consider rewording the policy or be more specific in what is considered a display of affection.

"I'm just hoping the school board will open their eyes and just realize that maybe they shouldn't be punishing us for hugs," Megan said.

Re: 13 year old Illinois student gets detention for hugging friends

Man thats the stupidest thing I've read today... thats so rediculous it's sad.

Now that's ridiculious as hell. Yeah i too is from IL and seeing that happen doesn't make any sense what so ever. Getting detention for something so B.S. just to show you that the school system is going downhill. I guess the faculty and principle has nothing else better to do than make up some rule that it's not alright to do anything or just to say hi or bye to a friend. Maybe they think that they don't show enough discipline towards all the students so they decide to make up some rule.

This is one of those stories that comes along sometimes that really make you wonder what that hells goin on with this world........this has GOT to be the stupidest thing I've ever read..........my school had  a rule against kissin in the halls.......just because they did'nt like people hangin around in the halls........but lunch was cool and they could care less if you gave someone a hug.....

Schools seem to be making too many rules and trying to do so much to protect themselves from some idiot looking to sue.  We live in a lawsuit happy society and they are doing all they can to protect against people.  No more pledge of allegiance because of the word God.  No more hugging because it is a public display of affection.  No saying "Merry Christmas" or playing Christmas songs in the school band because it offends people. 

10 years ago none of this shit is a problem, so why is it now?  There have always been different people with different beliefs in this world, but now because a few desperate souls file lawsuit for some dumbass reasons, schools take away all the freedoms of their students.  People just need to grow the fuck up and stop trying to shelter and protect to such extremes.  Drugs, alcohol, violence.....these are the things we need to control, not what holiday greeting people use or who hugs who.  Is saying Merry Christmas to someone who you didnt know was another religion so terrible that we have to punish people for it to shelter them?  Is giving your friend a hug such a big deal that it is degrading to the school and sends the wrong message?  Afterall isnt that what 13 year old girls do, get excited, laugh and hug their friends?  What the fuck!

Whats next, censoring the song "God Bless America" because of the use of God?  The next thing you know we wont be able to say anything to anyone. 

Words to live by to get us through these fucked up times :  "To think that one's actions could please the masses is indeed a notion bound in irony; someone will inevitably find something wrong in almost everything. So do what it is you do best and remember to have enough tolerance for two."

::END RANT::

One of the first things kids are supposed to learn is that you can't please everyone all of the time. Administrators, politicians, lawyers, etc. all seem to have forgotten this.  In trying to appease the one, random soul that might take offense, the majority are stripped of all their rights.  It's like a bad sci-fi movie...out with a whimper, not a bang.  Next thing you know you can't laugh in public because someone might assume you are laughing at them and be able to sue you or something....

crap! i need a hug hmm

Last edited by Ash's missing hand (2007-11-08 00:14:46)

Christ, not even Catholic school was that bad. (Not for me, anyway)

I wonder how they would feel about a kick in the balls, which is exactly what the principle and school board need to get. (or a kick in the pooter for the women on the board) This re-god-damn-diculous, she didn't shoot anyone, wasn't flashing the busses as they went by, or blowing the janitor at lunch time. She hugged another student, what bull crap, and they wonder why kids are fucked up and on Prozac at 10 years old. I weap for my son that has to grow up in such a pussy whiped society where a hug has consequences.

I kiss my girlfriend in school i dont give two fucks bout it.  Thats BS man its hugging their acting like they had sex or something. What does hugging people make the pyschotic ones snap and bring guns to school soo they can massacre the place?? I dont think soo now this brought out the sickfuck rants see what you did jmh big_smile. If that was me getting in trouble Id be my bad ass self and skip it. I think its so stupid to do this.

Schools today make pretty much no sense at all, theres all this security and rulse that are so stupid and they fail. Theres still violence in schools and still lunatics grabing guns and shooting up their high school. Mu school doesnt have plastic knives for the bagels in the mornign cuz you might stab someone. I stabbed a friends with a fork and made him bleed a PLASTIC Knife wont do that!!! Schools have to wake up and smell the god damn coffee, enough with the rules seriously they dont work.

We're talkign about hugging someone, its a HUG A Hug for chirsts sake!!! We give peopel them to feel special and happy. Why the hell do they have to bitch and moan about that. In a school near me theres girls giving their boyfriends blowjobs in the bathrooms!!! ( I wish I was goign to that school big_smile) but still theres nothing done abotu that but a hug is like 2 detentions. This is stupid, ever since that god damn No child left behind BS came School became a prison!!! Im surprised theres not more kids grabbing a gun and shooting people cuz the teachers treat us liek shit, theres some many god damn rules you cant barely do anything. I remeber when School was fun with free time and study halls. Now its 6 or 7 hours of pure hell sitting in classroom after classroom learnign stuff that us completely useless unless you plan on going on a game show.

I hate school but I dont wanna be a failure and drop out but I hoep that schools do change and get better for our children and their children. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH WITH THESE GOD DAMN POINTLESS RULES!!!!

Sickfuck out

i give hugs to all of my friends almost every time i see them, if i was to get detention every time, id have like 100 a day. and then with my gf, i kiss her and hug her in school, and noone says crap unless we r like making out in the hallways... which we dont do any more

no wonder there is so much fuckin' hate in this world, cant even hug somebody. is this the state of Illinois thats located in the persian gulf? lol

Yeah...it's okay for kids to watch Taliban members decapitating helpless journalists online but hug you friend goodbye for a weekend and motherfucker you're gonna get what's coming to you.

I'm a pretty upbeat and optimistic person by nature, very "glass is half full"...but sometimes, man, I just hate this fucking world.

Its sad we gotta live like this. I look at this world and this joke for a United Country and its really sad. Credit Card interest rates are high everything is junk and more money. I dunno one person that spends all morning openings christmas presents, I say this since christmas is pretty much right around the corner. The prices in America are so high most families might only get a few things for Christmas. Its retarded that we as Americans cant even get along well. We have gangs and violence in the streets. People getting shot over nothing, drugs are entering everywhere. I wish it was like it was back in the 90s I spent hours opening presents on Christmas now I spend 10 minutes. But LoudLon I agree with you sometimes I hate living in this evil world