Topic: J.K. Rowling outs book character

Harry Potter author J.K Rowling officially "outted" a character in her book series by proclaiming Professor Albus Dumbledore was gay.  She did so at a Q&A after reading expert from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows.  Full story can be found here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071020/ap_ … rry_potter

The one thing I dont get it why do it now?  The book series is over, so what does this accomplish?  I mean, I guess by waiting thats one less possible boycott of the book.  Many places boycott and protest the books because it has to do with "witch craft", but I'm sure there would have been another boycott by religious groups if it had been known Dumbledore was gay.  But the real question is why tell us this now because it really has no relevance to anything.  She also talked abouta little of his back story, so unless she is planning another book with Dumbledore as the focus, why tell people he's gay and give some history after the series is over?

Re: J.K. Rowling outs book character

It must be that Dumbledore isn't a closed book for her.  But, this is extremely wierd news because like you said, what does this have to do with anything?  So, he didn't have a love interest in the series, big deal!  Very strange, indeed.

I agree that it was pretty lame and late in the game for such an announcement.
Did anyone catch ant subtle clues in any of the books that would have drawn that conclusion? If there was I totally missed it.
Who woulda thunk it, huh?

I think she "outed" him mainly for the fact to get a little bit more attention on the series. I mean it's over what could she say now? What secrets still were to be reveiled? Maybe she did it though to get more box office money when the next movies come out... personaly i think the whole damn thing is out of control, but my gf is obsessed with Harry freakn Potter so i have no choice but to keep up to date