Topic: Last good horror book you read?

What was the last good one? One that you would pick up again? I want to expand my horror reading list for the end of summer - anyone have any suggestions?????

Re: Last good horror book you read?

The two most recent were Blood Crazy and Stranger by Simon Clark. They are zombie stories (sort of), but both I found to be very enjoyable.

Well I can tell you I like Cell so far by Stephen King and also Books of Blood by Clive Barker are great.. Actually some of the short stories in that book are going to be made into movies.

Yeah Rawhead Rex was in that one I believe. Barker is currently working on another volume of Books of Blood, as well as a final book for Pinhead, where pinhead finally is completely destroyed. Not that I want to see him go, mind you, I love him as a character. So arrogant, so... awesome. But you know, all good things must come to an end, and Barker wants pinhead to go out with a large bang. I will post on the site when I get more info on that.

Yea the story of Rawhead Rex is so kick ass.. I've heard the movie was shit.. I wanna see it still.. The other story in that volume that kicked ass thats being made into a movie is The Midnight Meat Train... something like that.. Great story, I hope it makes a good movie..

Stephen King's "Cell" baby!  Kicks ass, i recommend to everyone.  Zombies and technology, what more could you ask for?

F. Paul Wilson's The Keep

Reading Richard Matheson's I Am Legend right now.

I just picked up If Chins Could Kill by Bruce Campbell.  Its not really a horror book so to speak, but ol' Brucey as everyone knows has been in a lot of horror classics.  So far its great.

Brian Keene's The Rising. Awesome zombie book and all around a great read.

i just read The Ghosts of Sleath James Herberts twice, one of best ghost book ever made, i going to read this one more time

james herbearts
i have also read rats : if you like killer rats, you love this book like i did
Lair: part two of rats, most of same, i liked it
Domain: part three of the rats, one of his best books,
The Dark: this book scared the hell out of him, i had to sleep with the ligth on for two months,
Once: one of the best book ever made, it so good, but it did take me while to read
The Magic Cottage: really good book, nothing scary
Creed : do NOT read this book be for you go to sleep, it will give you nigthmare when you are a wake
Others : just read the back of book, gave me shiver when i pick it up, great, book
Fluke: one of his best books, (even it a disney movie)
Nobody True (this one of bad books, but enjoy it, but the killer in book, all i could was freddy in this books, but it nots , but i really great twist at the end
and moon and hauted i didn't get them

and now Shaun Hutson
Spawn:  great book, based on true story, it a must read
Deathday: one of my best book, great gory deaths in this book, bloody loved it
Assassin : totaly is shocking book, twist were great in this books
Lucy's Child: one of my fav books, great,  little gory that it
Purity: if you like scream, you love this books
Slugs: killer slugs, it the most gory is book i have ever come a cross, great
Breeding Ground:  the slugs are back, the same as the first but bigger then a rat 
Necessary Evil: one of his best book, great gory deaths 
the one i did not like are
Erebus (not bad)
Relics (okay)
Hybrid (don't even read it)

now Stephen King
green mile: just a good as the movie
shining : much better then the movie
The Dead Zone : really good
cujo: my number 1 best book in the book that gave nigthmare to scared me to deaths
Misery: same as movie, perfect book, great, but movie more scary

the books i got and still to read
Shaun Hutson
White Ghost
Knife Edge
Exit Wounds
Deadhead

James Herbert
The Spear
The Jonah
Portent
'48

Stephen King
Firestarter
The Mist
Pet Sematary
It

i know i have forgot some books, put some on later, my breaks over,

Last edited by BASSI (2006-09-24 09:51:58)

Check out Off Season or The Lost by Jack Ketchum, anything by Edward Lee, The Tomb or Midnight Mass by F.Paul Wilson or Vampire$ by John Steakley. Vampires has the John Carpenter/James Woods movies based on it but very loosely, the book is a lot better.

For a wicked short story check out The Yattering and Jack by Clive Barker, which can be found in the Books of Blood series....Book 2 I think??????
One of my faves....

I'm also about 100 pages into cell By King and it Rocks!!!!!!!!!

I have not slept for 10 straight days......cause that would be way too long.....
-Mitch Hedburg

Final Destination 5: Looks Could Kill
i am half away in this book loving it, sherry so bloodly evil 
i loving the death are wicked 
other peolpe then the main person find out that death is after them
i like that
and (it's real gory)

The last three books I read which were very good books were

Bully-True Story
The Devils Knot-True Story
and for the love god I can't remeber the name of the authors..theres a movie out on Bully which is directed by Larry Clark who also directed KIDS and if you like that movie you'll like this..
and the last is Bag of Bones by Stephen King this book I can read over and over again..

I'm reading The Descent by Jeff Long....it has nothing to do with the movie spare it is seems to have subterrian humanoids.  Really good so far.

Crisscross by F. Paul Wilson.

Repairman Jack is a great character.
This isn't the best but is still very good.

Battle Royale just got it yesterday and i'm already 200 pages in.  The Lost was real good ,for some reason i never seem to be able to get all the way through The Stand.The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson much better than the movie if you can find a copy.

Last edited by otis666 (2006-10-15 20:43:16)

thegoldensimatar wrote:

I'm reading The Descent by Jeff Long....it has nothing to do with the movie spare it is seems to have subterrian humanoids.  Really good so far.

let me know what you think when you are done Golden:)

oh and I am almost done with Koontz **The Door To December**
I suggest a good Halloween read is Mary Shelly's Frankenstein, the movies just can't do the writing genius, justice. True human condition issues addressed.

otis666 wrote:

Battle Royale just got it yesterday and i'm already 200 pages in.  The Lost was real good ,for some reason i never seem to be able to get all the way through The Stand.The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson much better than the movie if you can find a copy.

I loved the battle royale graphic novel and have been wondering if i should pick up the book. The first movie was great too.

I'll be sure to let you know dead.

Still for me the last good horror I read was THE KEEP....before that was tight between MEG, THE STAND, and INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE.

The last good horror books I read was THE SHINING & CARRIE, and half of SALEM'S LOT.

If you haven't already, I would recommend you read Richard Matheson's I Am Legend. I had heard about it and never got around to reading it but when I finally did I was very happy with it. It is one of the finest vampire novels ever written and the precursor to the modern zombie horror film.