Topic: Calvaire

I just got this one.  Has anyone seen it, and is it good?  I know I can trust your opinions you horror-lovin' guys.

Re: Calvaire

hard2kill reviewed it smile http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_reviews_2198.htm

Not a big fan of it but i guess it depends on how you like your horror. if you like it slow and not gory but just a little twisted then it might be for you.

I should have read your review first Hard2Kill, this wasn't at all what I thought it would be.  I was thinking it was something along the lines of Hostel or something, but I will say it was different.  I did enjoy the crazy little villager dancing scene though, that was interesting.

Never heard of it.

I really didn't like this movie.. I had heard alot of praise for the movie but really it was VERY dull. Not to mention the dinner scene was cut and paste from TCM.

I agree, I didn't care for it much myself.  I have to say that I watched the Director's commentary to see if I could figure out what he was trying to do with this movie and he said that he grew up really liking American horror movies and the dinner scene was his homage to TCM.  He also said that the scene between Bartel and the singer was an homage to Psycho, with Norman Bates and Janet Leigh.  After watching this crazy movie, I found myself wondering the most about Gloria (not about why she left, that was pretty obvious), but was she the only woman in the whole damned town?   And if so, were all the younger guys her kids?  Sorry, I know the movie sucked, but it made me wonder all this weird shit.  This may be one of the strangest movies I've ever watched.