Really?  Ha!  Ever better.  tongue

Re: Tim Burton 's Sweeney Todd, The demon barber of Fleet Street

DP wrote:

Yep, can't wait for this one.

Just got this in the mail yesterday.

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/8396/gho3vr8.jpg

soo jealous of you right now lol..very kool poster wink

Yeah, the poster is pretty cool.  Makes the film look much better than it sounds.  tongue

Loving that poster! Cool stuff. I LOVE Tim Burton, and most of his films. I liked the atmosphere of Wonka (Although i liked the original better)

I think he did a great job in sleepy Hollow, and I think this movie will be in the same kind of area. It's more of like, real-life horror, rather than animated or what not. willy wonka, well, that's obviously something that can't be done in real life, however, things like sleepy hollow (minus the pumpkin head dude) and the barber shop story idea, are more realistic and easier to make a movie of. I think Johnny will do a good job of this one, or at least, i hope he does. I've been a fan of the both of them for quite a while.

As for the musical part, im not a fan of musicals unless its like, phantom of the opera. People are begging me to go see hairspray. NO THANK YOU.
Anyway, Burton/Elfman make the musicals intersting for me. I don't know what it is, possibly the macabre atmosphere of it all.

I have a feeling that this movie wont be too 'musical' but will have its scenes.
i couldn't imagine burton making a horror/morbid-esque movie and having a LOT of musical elements to it, I mean, then it would just seem like a kids movie.

Last edited by mistress_of_metal (2007-08-02 10:47:11)

DP - that is freaking sweet!  and I love your avatar.

Looking at Depp with those scissors and crazy hair in a creepy attic just makes me want to watch Edward Scissorhands.

I have seen the original musical of Sweeny Todd.  Many times.  It is my favorite musical and I can tell you now that the combo of Tim Burton and Johnny Depp (AND ALAN RICKMAN) will make this an incredible movie. 

Stephen Sondheim, the man who wrote the music, said the idea behind the musical was to just "really scare the audience."  And it did that. 

To quote some of the opening song:
Attend the tail of Sweeny Todd.
He served a dark and a hungry god.
What happend then--well that's the play.
And he wouldn't want us to give it away.
Not Sweeny.
Not Sweeny Todd.
The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street.

So go see it.  You won't be let down.  I didn't want to get my hair cut for months after seeing it the first time.

I'm really looking forward to this one and somehow I missed that Rickman was in it.  I think it will be terrific.  And I want that poster. smile

Last edited by Tina12312 (2007-08-07 12:11:40)

im really excited about this! burton is great and its a classic story

Personally I am curious about the movie. If you have seen the musical, particularly the 2006 revival cast, Burton is the perfect person to do this movie. That being said I am wary about Jonny Depp ( after all he refused to do any singing for Wonka and Corpse Bride, which resulted in haveing to hire an uncredited singer for the latter) and Bohnam Carter( Has she ever sang before?) mainley because Sondhiem's music, particularly Sweeney is INCREDIBLY difficult to sing, but the bigger concern is Warner Brothers demanding, pardon the pun, cuts be made to the film so that they can get thier precious PG-13 rating. As someone who has both seen and performed in and as Sweeney Todd, the very notion of trying to get a PG-13 rating is absurd. This is a story about a man who murders his patrons and then has his lover grind them into meat for pie filling to sell back to the populace. What about that is neat, clean, or family freindly?  I personally will be seeing the movie, and am keeping and open mind about it, but as I said I have concerns. Once the trailer is released we may know a hell of a lot more, and could help to put these concerns to rest. As long as Sondhiem has faith in those doing his work, so must I.

Also I would suggest that any horror fan give this a chance, it's seems quirky, mabye a little ehhh because of it being a musical, but I know as a huge horror fan myself that the musicals that have been done have been awsome, at least in thier stage incarnations. The big thing to keep in mind is, aside from the blood letting, this is a story that progresses much the same as the classic horror stories. It's not a cleave a second slaughter-fest, but it's not a bloodless bore either, and when done well is one of the most disturbing and un-nerving stories you will ever see. Mainly because of how simple the premise is. Who has not felt just a little "vulnerable" at some point in their life while sitting in that barber's chair to get a haircut or *gulp* a shave(some of you younger audience who may never have gotten a shave at the barber's with a straight razor, you are missing out btw), and I know I as I am sure many of you have at some point questioned just how "fresh" the food you were eating was or a little unsure that the peice of steak you were eating was really beef.

If you want to see what the source material is like pick up the soundtrack of the original 1979 broadway cast, and track down a video copy of the 1982 tour. 
Also do yourself a favor and check out Jekyll and Hyde as well. After all that one is becoming a movie musical in the next couple years as well.

Riff, you've played Sweeney Todd?  Well, if that isn't fun theater, then I don't know what is!  There are few things more satisfying than playing dark roles on stage.

Your post made me realize just what makes me nervous about this film - the *cute* factor.  The musical, the rise of the pg-13 ratings...  not that this has anything in common with "Interview of a Vampire," but remember when Lestat and Louie are doing a bunch of feasting and the two of them are hosting a whole family, then it cuts to the funeral with multiple coffins, inc. little ones - somehow, that pulled cute and funny. 

that said, the poster seems to play it straight.  we'll see.

Believe it or not, I saw Kelsey Grammer play Sweeney Todd in LA.  The Doogie Howser guy was the young lover and Linda Ronstadt was the crazy/wife/mother.  It was phenomenol.  I agree, the music is incredibly difficult and it lends such a great quality to the movie

I think Johnny Depp is a good choice, but I too wonder about the singing.

Constantce wrote:

When Burton falls, he falls hard.  Example - his Batman was just... not... right.  Also, Depp's Wonka was not fun to watch, even if the movie as a whole had a great feel.  I LOVED Sleepy Hollow and am hoping for that general coloring and mood in Sweeney Todd.  We'll see.  I'm predicting huge... success or failure.

I agree completely and I am glad I am not the only one who feels Burton's Batman was a bad flick (especially after all the hype). IMO, there is only one Batman movie and that is Batman Begins. Anyway, back to topic. Burton has made some very entertaining films in the past (Ed Wood, Sleepy Hollow, Big Fish, Beetlejuice, etc,) but he has made some bombs as well (Planet of the apes, Batman). I will give this movie a chance, but so far I am not overly excited by it.

i wanted to buy the poster for this movie, but i checked movieposter.com and its $30 sad

i cant wait for this movie.

I'm not much for Depp outside of Captain Jack, but this movie has me compelled.  I also think I'm one of the few that isnt a regular endorser of Tim Burton either.  This movie, along with Repo! have me very intrigued at the idea of a horror/musical genre.  I'm hoping for success.

I take back what I said about it being a musical....now that I've seen clips I'm very excited about seeing this movie...and I want that poster lol..