Topic: Sweeney Dropped From Major Theatre Chain

This is a doozey. Horror movies have a hard time making money as it is but when a major theatre chain tells you to take your movie and stick it where the sun doesnt shine it really doesnt help. According to Variety one of the largest Theatre Chains i...

Read More : Sweeney Dropped From Major Theatre Chain

Re: Sweeney Dropped From Major Theatre Chain

Well, I really didn't plan on going to see Sweeney Todd, but that's still a load of bullshore....

Its seems more like a problem with Paramount not cooperating to strike a deal than anything else.  I wonder what they were looking for that caused a deal not to get done.

Oh well it's still playing at AMC and thats all I got by me so I'm happy!

Well all the local theaters here are now owned by Marcus Theaters so I guess I'll have to wait to see this.  This shit sucks.  Its hard enough to get my gf to go to a horror movie with me then one she does want to see ain't gonna get play.  sad

I used to work for a arge chain of theatres in indiana and what i was told was thats how all movies made their money they are pretty much rented kinda to the theatres, the first week the movie company receives 100%, 2nd week 90%, 3rd week 80%, 4th week 70% and so on until the price of the movie is paid of until eventually the theatre will start makeing more money the longer the movie is out...
Until then he theatre makes its money from consession sales...

Last edited by drewski37 (2007-12-19 16:33:37)

well that sucks, that'll put a blow in their gross.  Or it'll drive business to other theatres.  oh well, learn something new everyday.

well as long as its playing at AMC, im happy

I'm just gonna wait to rent it on dvd as always first....mainly cause this film is a musical and I'm not fond of musicals at all but I like Depp as an actor and have seen the trailers for it on here and terrorfeed so I will rent it for sure.

This movie does not interest me at all...The only reason I may even watch it would be because of Depp

That is seriously amazing Meh, I never knew. It's kinda depressing too.
Another reason I am falling more in love with Indies every day.

oh well, there total assets are a measly 698 milliion dollars, so hold off your donations(found it on the site).And heres a weird little thing, they are showing Army of Darkness in one of their theaters.

that really sucks for some..we have a marquee's and cinemark so I'm good..

I do wanna see Sweeny Todd.

Marcus Theaters is USA's 9th largest with 47 theaters and 507 screens.  Their theaters are in the Mid-West area.  So its not much of an impact for them.  If they had lost the contract with Regal (largest theater group with 526 theaters and 6,355 screens) or AMC (2nd largest with 304 theaters and 4,437 screens) then they would be screwed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mo … ema_chains

So its a decent sized chain if you live in its area, but its not big enough to hurt its Todd's Box office standing. 

*looks at Meh's math*  What have I been telling y'all?  Most of the time a theater makes barely $1 from each ticket sold and all its money comes from the concession stand.  If studios owned theaters those prices might go down, but due to the Paramount Decision (a law that prohibits studios from owning their own theaters) they cannot.  So if theaters are to survive, concession prices gotta be the way they are.

Last edited by thegoldensimatar (2007-12-20 09:17:44)

drewski37 wrote:

I used to work for a arge chain of theatres in indiana and what i was told was thats how all movies made their money they are pretty much rented kinda to the theatres, the first week the movie company receives 100%, 2nd week 90%, 3rd week 80%, 4th week 70% and so on until the price of the movie is paid of until eventually the theatre will start makeing more money the longer the movie is out...
Until then he theatre makes its money from consession sales...

TKs for posting this I always wondered how it worked with the box office. So you rent a movie for lets say $1million and then you have to pay it back, and you only make money once hte 'rent' is paid.

Do you happen to know what a movie rental would go for?

I'd wager a guess that the theatre chain's issue with the film is not because it's a horror film, it's that it's a full-on musical that gets extremely bloody at the end.  I doubt that the demographic for musicals will be all that keen to see so many throats being slit, and vice-versa.  How many horror fans really like musicals?  I'd be very concerned with who the audience for the film will be after opening weekend and word of mouth gets out, despite the pull of Johnny Depp.

well they did say their problem is the money paramount wants. You could be right however that the chain might figure the movie is a tough sell and they dont want to sell their soul to get the rights

HeyI Know Its Been Awhile But The Film Rental I was told was around a couple grand then when that's paid then
the cinema started making money off of the movie...