Topic: Neodigit's 1080p Upscaling dvd player

Anyone looking to pick up a new dvd player that supports DVD/SVCD/VCD/CD/HDCD/MP3/MP3/WMA/MPEG4, (phew!), formats, is REGION FREE, and will upscale to 1080p should check out Neodigit's Helios H4000. The reviews I've read have been positive and it's only $169US (!) with free shipping before Oct.20th. I'm ordering one now from their site... apparently they're currently unavailable in the big box stores.

http://www.neodigits.com/new/body/produ … /h4000.asp

Re: Neodigit's 1080p Upscaling dvd player

What does upscaling do exactly?

Upscaling matches the pixel count of the outputed dvd signal to the physical pixel count on an HDTV, (i.e. 1080i), which gives you better detail and colour consistency for your standard 480p dvds when they're being viewed on an HDTV. There would be no point in getting an upscaling dvd player if your tv is not HD enabled.

So a standard DVD player does not show all of the picture that a DVD contains on an HDTV, but an upscaling player does?

And if you have a standard def. tv then it doesn't matter.

Ok, here is a question for you. If viewing a regular DVD on an HDDVD player, would there be any difference between the picture quality versus an upscaling player on an HDTV?

Here's an explanation from cdfreaks.com that might help you out on the first question:

'...While many HDTV sets will accept a standard definition picture, the majority of these do a very basic upscaling in order to fill the display, such as simply repeating pixels in order to fill the screen.  This can lead to a grainy picture, such as jagged lines, pixely looking writing and so on in the picture.  While it is impossible for DVD upscalers to put missing information back into an image that was lost during the original downscaling to standard definition, upscalers work by using sophisticated interpolation on the picture during the resampling process in an aim to eliminate the side effects of stretching the image to a higher resolution conversion...'

As for your second question: Toshiba's HD-A1 player has upscaling capabilities for your regular dvds so there would be no difference in viewing vs. a standard upscaling dvd player. However, the HD-A1 only supports up to 1080i where as true high-def is 1080p (Samsung's Blu-Ray supports this resolution).

If you don't need a new dvd player I'd wait until the format war is over. I've got a crappy Samsung 5-disc dvd player that's displaying random white scanlines so the Neodigit's Helios H4000 looks good to me, (plus it's region free so I can finally get 'The Willies' dvd from Australia smile

its a good price for a high quality DVD plyer thats for sure.

I have been looking for a good region free DVD player but still don't know if I want to go HD or Blu-Ray, plus I still don't know if I am going to end up getting a PS3 which might solve that debate right there. Too much technology....

If you have a region free dvd player can you play PAL dvds on them? If not, is there a way to watch a PAL dvd in North America? Thanks.

Most region free players support the PAL format so all you need to do is check out the specs on the player you're considering buying. Neodigit's Helios H4000 supports PAL at 720P/1080i/1080p.