Topic: Interview : Johnny Depp

Our favorite buccaneer, Johnny Depp, resumes the role of the wildly flamboyant and hilarious Capt. Jack Sparrow, the craziest pirate on the high seas, in Gore Verbinski’s new "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest." In this second installment of a three-part trilogy, he squares off against the legendary Davy Jones (Bill Nighy), a squid faced villain with slimy tentacles who lives beneath the sea and sails the ghostly Flying Dutchman. Co-written by Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio, the film’s action picks up where "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" left off.

In this highly entertaining sequel, Capt. Jack finds himself once more in a serious pickle. He owes his soul to undersea Capt. Davy Jones and his supernatural army of sea phantoms and time is running out. Desperate to find a way out of making good on his promise and save himself from the eternal damnation and servitude that awaits him, Capt. Jack disrupts the wedding plans of Will Turner (Orlando Bloom) and Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley), leaving them no choice but to join him on yet another exciting and comic misadventure.

Once again, Depp lives up to his reputation for being one of the finest, most versatile actors of his generation who constantly surprises audiences and critics alike with the unpredictable choices he makes. He has made a career out of picking diverse, offbeat roles. And no matter how small the part, he always puts his characters front and center, developing unique physical traits and building depth for them that often comes at the expense of his own good looks. After playing a series of iconic loners in a succession of inspired collaborations with respected directors as diverse as Tim Burton, Lasse Hallstrom, Jim Jarmusch, Terry Gilliam, and Roman Polanski, Depp surprised both the industry and his fans when in 2003 he took on the role of Capt. Jack Sparrow in Disney’s highly commercial "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl."

While many of his earlier films met with limited box office success, POTC1 broke all records and rocketed him unexpectedly to the A-list of actors. The rest is history. Yet Depp has never been obsessed with superstardom, and even with the spectacular success of POTC 1, the new POTC 2 about to open, and POTC 3 fast on the horizon, no one can say that he sold his soul for a chest of gold.

Johnny Depp recently sat down to discuss his new film during the POTC2 press day in Los Angeles. Sporting a white t-shirt that revealed his many tattoos, jeans and a grey hat, he appeared relaxed and genuinely enjoying the moment, even taking time to sign autographs and pose for photographs. Here’s what he had to tell us about his new film, his love of the acting process, the joys of having a family, and his struggle to remain authentic. After years of confusion and dissatisfaction in the 90s, it appears he has finally come to terms with his inner pirate:

Q. Why is this the character you can revisit over and over?

Depp: I just feel like I'm not done. I just feel like there are more things you could do. Because, I suppose, with a character like this, the parameters are a little broader, so there are more possibilities I think. And he's a fun character to play. I was really not looking forward to saying goodbye to him.

Q. Any pirate adventures you still want to do, not touched on in Pirates 3 yet?

Depp: Time travel, why not? No, I don't know. Ted (Elliott) and Terry (Rossio), the writers, and Gore (Verbinski), what they were able to do on the first one and then taking that to what they've done now with the second one and then going into the third, it's pretty amazing. We're getting close to just even stretching the boundaries a bit more.

Q. How much freedom do you have to improvise?

Depp: I think with everything you do, it's always… You have the basic structure, you have your basic bones and a solid foundation. But with every one, you do your best to kind of explore it as much as possible while you're shooting. It could be something that comes to you, like sometimes it just comes to me when I'm reading a script. A line will just come to me, and I'll incorporate it into the thing and obviously run it by Ted and Terry and Gore and the other actors certainly. So it can happen that way or it can just happen in the spur of the moment which is more fun in a way, when something just happens because if you feel it and you do it in a big, wide master shot, it alters the rhythm for a second and it kind of throws the thing, takes the bottom out from under you for a second which is quite fun because you sort of see honest reactions all around. People panic for a second, and that kind of panic is fun and I think important, good for you.

Read the entire interview here
http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_9211.html