Topic: Michael Slade's Headhunter

I just saw this on the Fangoria website: http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=2931

Finally, the book Headhunter is going to be made into a film. Of course, there have been rumours about a movie version for years now so I shouldn't get my hopes up. I hope if it is made that it is faithful to the source material. It really should be filmed along the lines of a giallo horror film but it probably won't be. At least it will be a horror film filmed in Vancouver that actually takes place in Vancouver.

I've never heard of the director before. Anyone know if Dracula 2000 was any good?

Re: Michael Slade's Headhunter

I thought Dracula 2000 was surprisingly decent.

The thought that a Headhunter movie may get made finally fills me with excitement. 

Hopefully it'll do well, so they'll make Ghoul, one of my all time favorites and in actuality my first exposure to Slade.

sMart wrote:

I thought Dracula 2000 was surprisingly decent.

The thought that a Headhunter movie may get made finally fills me with excitement. 

Hopefully it'll do well, so they'll make Ghoul, one of my all time favorites and in actuality my first exposure to Slade.

I'd love to see Ghoul made too. I think it would be too difficult though since it is so complex. Headhunter is too but I can see it getting made while retaining most of the plot elements.

sMart wrote:

I drank what? - Socrates

Aren't those the immortal words of Socrates? :-) Real Genius is a great film.

I'll have to check it out

Yea I really liked Dracula 2000.. I think its one of those films where you have to let go of all the stereotypes that are given to vampires.. It really put a nice spin on vampires to me.. Something refreshing about it..

I'll have to check out Dracula 2000. If you all say it's good then that's good enough for me.

I just read that the expected release date for Headhunter is 2009. All good things to those who wait I guess.

dracula 2000 was one of the worst films i ever saw. I will watch it again perhaps i misssed the point but man did i dislike it the first time.

I'll give it a chance. If he's going to be the director turning one of my favourite books into a film then I'm hoping he'll be up to the job. I should probably check to see if the screenwriters have done anything else too.

Thanks for that Ichorous.  That line has been in my head for so long I was wondering where the hell that came from.  It's been 20 years or so since I've seen the movie Real Genius.  So yes, those are the immortal words of Socrates.  But I'll leave it as it is.  Make it a direct quote from Socrates.

Again, thanks for jogging my memory on this one.

I recommend Dracula 2000.  Like Goon was saying, its a good little twist on the vampire flicks.  No harm done checkin' it out.

ichorous wrote:

I just saw this on the Fangoria website: http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=2931

At least it will be a horror film filmed in Vancouver that actually takes place in Vancouver.

I've never heard of the director before. Anyone know if Dracula 2000 was any good?

Ya thats going to be cool. Where else could it be filmed? It's always (if memory serves correct) raining in Slade's books so what better place than vancouver.

And Dracula 2000 was really quite good. As was mentioned a couple of times so far in this thread, it is an interesting spin on vamps.

TacTac wrote:

Ya thats going to be cool. Where else could it be filmed? It's always (if memory serves correct) raining in Slade's books so what better place than vancouver.

Yeah it's usually always raining here in Vancouver. It's pouring out right now. A lot of films are made here but they always substitute Vancouver for some other city. I just saw a film being made two blocks from where I live and the crew had the street dressed to look like some New York street.

ichorous wrote:

Yeah it's usually always raining here in Vancouver. It's pouring out right now.

Keeps it clean though, no?

smile

Dracula 2000 was kind of a Mtv generation Dracula. The first one was not bad at all but the sequels they tried to tie into it were terrible. I didn't mind 2000 it was decent, could have used more nudity and gore but what movie couldn't.

Michael Slade (Jay Clarke) will be doing a book signing on December 11th at the Vancouver Public Library (Main Branch). It would be interesting to find out how he feels about the upcoming film. I hope I get a chance to ask him...

ichorous wrote:

Michael Slade (Jay Clarke) will be doing a book signing on December 11th at the Vancouver Public Library (Main Branch). It would be interesting to find out how he feels about the upcoming film. I hope I get a chance to ask him...

That would be awesome. Let us know how it turns out ichorous.

I saw Michael Slade (Jay and Rebecca Clarke) last night. Slade spoke for a little bit about the Headhunter adaptation. He said he was happy with the choice of Patrick Lussier as director and mentioned that Lussier has always wanted to adapt Headhunter. He said that Lussier, fresh from completing the sequel to White Noise, was asked by Brightlight Pictures what project he would like to work on next and said he had wanted to direct Headhunter for the past twenty years. Slade also said he had read the first draft of the screenplay by Wil Zmak and liked what he read. The second draft is due to be completed soon. Good news for Sladists I'd say.

The book signing and reading was great. If you've never read Slade and you like police thrillers that are drenched in blood you should give him a chance.

(Post #100!)

Last edited by ichorous (2006-12-12 21:31:09)

Thats awesome ichorous. Thank you for the update, its good to know that Slade is pleased with what has been written so far. That means that it should be just as gruesome as the book. Did you get anything signed?

Oh and congrats on post 100.

Thanks TacTac.

I got the latest book (Kamikaze) signed as well my British editions of Headhunter and Ghoul.

I've never seen Dracula 2000.I'll check it out