Topic: Working on a new novel

So, here's the deal.  I want to ask ALL the horror/zombie fans here what would you like to see in a zombie book?
I've been working on one for a while now called The Hospital that's kind a superhero/zombie book but nothing like Marvel Zombies.  It's only got a single metahuman and hospital full of people fighting to stay alive against the hordes of undead outside.  I am losing interest in it though and thought I would go straight to the TRUE fans of horror and ask, what you would like to read?
Thanks for the help,
ESB
PS-  I am NOT asking for plotlines so please don't post that.  I am asking more of things like do you prefer slow, fast, or fast inteligent zombies?  What do you think of superheroes and zombies? Things along those lines.

Re: Working on a new novel

Course I wouldn't give plotlines...I need them to be the next Stephen King tongue

Well...for zombies.  I am firmly in the camp that you cannot alter what Romero does with his zombies...slow, fairly dumb with some brighter bulbs in there.

Superheros...I'm not that big into comic books and stuff.  I do watch some of the films but that is about it so I really got no opinion there.

I favor slow zombies myself, but i doubt they would be much of a challenge for most superheroes. If a superhero were to duke it out with a large group of zombies, then they would either have to be fast or Evil Dead esque(you know, super strength, near invulnerability and whatnot).

I like the fast zombies, when they are slow they only present a challenge in large numbers but fast feral zombies like in the day of the dead remake and 28 day later, even one of those in a confined space (like a hospital) can be deadly. I love the idea by the way of a super-human-vs-zombies. IMO thinking, fast, able to fight zombies would present him much more of a challenge when your hero has to defend himself and protect others.

Thanks Hard2Kill.

i gotta agree fast moving zombies are good. Intelligent zombies are NOT. Good thought out planning by lead characters also eliminates any "wtf" moments by a reader.

zombie book..I like...
a good setting and not in one place, move the characters around.
i.e. a town..not just the cafe..give the characters alot of options.
I like to really like the characters and dislike the dispicable ones.
character example (teabag from prision break on tv) OH GOD How I hate who he is, but he is such a great character to have in the story. Great tension to have other than the fear factor/terror factor.
zombies, I feel a mix of slow (older creepier) and fast i.e. newly dead
intelligent zombies?? dunno I would have to see that in context, I just might like it.
zombies should ALWAYS be hungry!!!!

I am a huge Robert Kirkman fan, and Marvel zombies worked for me:)

Last edited by thedeadshallrule (2006-10-26 12:45:43)

No worries Incubus just dedicate the book to all us hardcore zombie fans and don't skimp on the gut munching, bloody, gory, body part eating fun. You should have zombies that eat everything, flesh and bone alike, like my grandpa used to say "waiste not, want not."

Don't forget to throw in some zombie kids, those are always really creepy.

I think you ought to put all of us in it.  big_smile

You could mix it up some. Play with expectations like O'Bannon & company did with ROTLD... set up the rules then prove the rules to be BS.  Maybe the Zombies are slow until they get the smell of blood, then they frenzy like sharks?  How about some intellegent, some not, and you don't know until it's too late?

If you have a super hero, you need an opposite number.  A "big Bad" setting off the infestation if not really controlling it.