Topic: PAL vs NTSC

Is there really a difference in them?  I found a Region free copy of Battle Royale that is PAL and I want to know if there is any real difference between NTSC and PAL.

Re: PAL vs NTSC

PAL is European, NTSC is American, Canadian and Japanese or summit similar.

It's just area coding so we don't get hung up on importing stuff, not that it stops us smile

Well, no matter.  Though one must admit it is very annoying.

I just found Battle Royale Directors Cut and Battle Royale II 2 disc both on NTSC for only about $25 each.   So ordering.

Noooooo..  stay away from BR II.. But if you already ordered it I guess your stuck... BR II had so much potential.. The first film was so great that a sequel following the same formula would have been great. But instead they took some wacky idea and just kind of screwed the film..

Ah.  I hunted down some trailers and such for BRII to take a look at.  Seems pretty cool.

I know I am getting BR...will mull on II right now.

So did you get BRII or not?  I've not heard much good of it myself, despite the proven formula of the first one.

Another thing, PAL is also used in some parts of Asia, so check out the video format in addition to the RegionCode setting (or get a PAL/NTSC converting region-free player).

Ok, there is another detail about PAL I forgot to mention: it is better than NTSC, having more lines of horizontal resolution.  BUT that may not transfer to your set-up if your DVD player or display doesn't support some sort of scaling feature to "compress" the extra lines into what your display can show.  Without that, you can have cropped portions on the top/bottom of the image.

To add onto Avanti's explanation: PAL has 576 pixels of vertical resolution while NTSC has 480 pixels of vertical resolution. The difference is so small that I think it would be difficult to distinguish the picture quality between the two. Here's a great article on PAL vs NTSC:

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Articles/P … vsNTSC.asp

I would agree in that BR 2 is trash.  I mean coming from the original, its just not nearly as entertaining.

neversummer wrote:

To add onto Avanti's explanation: PAL has 576 pixels of vertical resolution while NTSC has 480 pixels of vertical resolution. The difference is so small that I think it would be difficult to distinguish the picture quality between the two. Here's a great article on PAL vs NTSC:

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Articles/P … vsNTSC.asp

Thanks for the tutelage, NS!  It's been a while since I studied up on that stuff, so that link is awesome!  I wonder how the hi-def wars will complicate the whole mess...