Topic: In the NEWS..one district tells kids to fight back

this is out of Burleson, Texas newspaper article I read.
Youngsters in a suburban Fort Worth school district are being taught not to sit there like good boys and girls with heir hands folded if a gunman invades the classroom, but to rush him and hit him with everything they've got- books, pencils, legs and arms.
"Getting under desks and praying for rescue from professionals is not a recipe for success".-Robin Browne, instructor for Response Options.
He is a major in the British Army reserve and an instructor for Response Options, the company providing the training to the Burleson schools.
Students are instructed not to comply with a gunman's orders and to take him down.
Browne recommends students and teachers to react immediately to the sight of a gun by picking up anything and everything and throwing it at the head and body of the attacker and making as much noise as possible. Go toward him as fast as we can and bring them down. They train to lock onto the attacker's limbs and use their body weight.
Browne says, "the fact that someone walks into a classroom with a gun does not make them a god. Five or six seventh-grade kids and a 95-pound art teacher can basically challenge, bring down and immobilize a 200-pound man with a gun."

I think this kind of school training is long overdue, I hope all school systems embrace this idea.

Re: In the NEWS..one district tells kids to fight back

30 students > 1 gunmen.  It's amazing what a flying desk will do.

finally someone starts talking some sense into these damn people

Well, in my English class in 11th grade we decided since we had a couch, we would use that as hte basis for a quick throw together fort made of that and tables.  Then, myself and several others would stand by with siccors and whne he bursts in, everyone screams HAPPY BIRTHDAY while the kamakazi squad rushed him.

This is the kind of news I like to hear. Time for everyone to stop crying and praying and start kicking some ass.

yeah but if you think of it this way though your still putting your life and others at risk because if you do something and all you've managed to do is piss the person off more and that takes more lives either way you can die, being a hero or not being one..

But someone like that is already pissed off or they wouldn't be shooting up a school. Most of the time they are going to try and kill as many people as possible, so whether or not you fight back you may still be killed. You do not know if they are going for a hostage situation or not, so I would assume not. You have all of these losers who trying to get revenge on people because their life sucks and they feel like they have nothing to lose. It's not going to end well in most cases.

Oh and if I had to choose between dieing being a hero or not being one. I would choose hero. But that is only if I knew I was going to die. In the real world there is that chance that you may actually live so it is hard to say what I would do in a situation like this or on a plane. I like to think I would be leading the charge, but you never know. I could freeze up and sit quitly in my seat. I just hope that I will never have to find out.

Greg wrote:

But someone like that is already pissed off or they wouldn't be shooting up a school. Most of the time they are going to try and kill as many people as possible, so whether or not you fight back you may still be killed. You do not know if they are going for a hostage situation or not, so I would assume not. You have all of these losers who trying to get revenge on people because their life sucks and they feel like they have nothing to lose. It's not going to end well in most cases.

I agree, kids are being killed in these situations...each time, I have two daughters in school...step up and fight for your survival.

And War Eagle! In Arab, Alabama here man!
Another article from the news, in the Arab Tribune: Satan Trying to Take Over Arab in Wet/Dry Vote...yep reader actually sent that in and they ran it...very sad.

I'm not sure whether to cheer or boo for that idea, it's all in the situation. If someone ran in and was nervous (whilst more likely to do summit stupid under pressure) would be best to have taken on by a group of people, BUT, if a raving lunatic with a streamlined idea of mass slaughter breaks in, I'd say you're best off having kids wait rather than bum rush the prat who would more likely just get to shooting straight off under any sort of pressure/violence.

as somebody who used to deal with violence every day, talk is cheap. Its easy to say "If some dude pulls that on me I will rush him and fuck him up". Fact is in reality people always talk big till the shit hits the fan then its the quiet guy in the corner who typically takes action.

Best defense is to RUN. you wont win against a deranged gunman.

I know exactly what you mean about the whole talking shit thing Meh. I was too in a similar situation. Wasnt life threatening just a fight. I was with 2 kids. One was starting to get beat up. I could have ran but i stayed and tried to help. I got him out and he ran. I then got stomped the fuck out by 6 or 7 people. My other friend just stood there while I took the beating.