Re: Screenwriting

Ditto...and...
Read books on scriptwriting - there's more to it than just having a story idea. There are subplots and subtext, character arcs and story arcs, etc...
And get yourself a scriptwriting program. I use Final Draft - I am, and have always been, happy with it. It does evberything for you, in regards to formatting, except write the script itself.
Scriptwriting is not an easy thing to do - it takes practice and understanding of the craft...and most of all a love and passion for story and writing for film.
It's not "I have a good idea I think would make a good film" - it's countless and endless hours of work. If you're up for the challenge - one day you may have a salable script - but in the interim - my best advice is WRITE!

Hey LoudLon
I just added my feature to simply scripts - may take up to ten days before it is posted. Will let you know when it is.
Shake

shake - what's it called? Synopsis?

Looking forward to it, Shake. 

Good general writing advice you gave above, by the way, and you're right; it's not just about a good idea.  If you can't write it into a script, an idea is worth exactly how much you paid for it -- bupkis.  An understanding of the craft is essential.

Speaking of which, I've noticed there hasn't been much mention of helpful literature.  Here are some screenwriting books which, IMO, are essential reading for anyone looking to get into screenwriting:

The Screenwriter's Bible, by Dave Trottier
Screenplay, by Syd Field
How To Write a Selling Screenplay, by Christopher Keane
How to Write a Movie in 21 Days: The Inner Movie Method, by Viki King

Also of infinite help would be to READ AS MANY SCRIPTS AS YOU CAN.  Here are some places where you can read/download scripts for free, including produced and unproduced scripts:

www.simplyscripts.com
www.dailyscript.com
www.iscriptdb.com
www.horrorlair.com
www.script-o-rama.com

EDIT:

Also, I checked out the CeltX program mentioned above and he's right, it's a pretty nifty program with the added bonus of being absolutely free.  Even has an index card feature to help you organize scenes.  You can get it at www.celtx.com

Okay...gotta get back to work, I'm misappropriating company time.:D

Last edited by LoudLon (2008-01-02 20:36:03)

LoudLon wrote:

Also, I checked out the CeltX program mentioned above and he's right, it's a pretty nifty program with the added bonus of being absolutely free.  Even has an index card feature to help you organize scenes.  You can get it at www.celtx.com

Okay...gotta get back to work, I'm misappropriating company time.:D

Wow, I just downloaded Celtx, and it's an awesome little program...thanks Loudlon, +1 for you.

Essential Reading:
Story by Robert McKee
Stealing Fire from the Gods by James Bonnet
The Hero's Journey by Christopher Vogler

gabs1515 wrote:

shake - what's it called? Synopsis?

Script Title: Rowan

Synopsis: An alchemist in 1348, whose love has succumbed to the Black Plague, discovers a serum for immortality and travels thru time and the centuries to find her reborn in the present time. But with his immortality - a curse - he must drink human blood.

Glad you guys are diggin' Celtx.  wink

As much as reading books on screenwriting is helpful, which it is, I feel that reading other scripts is the best way to learn.  At least, that's what got me started.  I feel it helped a lot more than reading, say, "The Screenwriter's Bible".  Read, read, read.

As Lon mentioned earlier, www.simplyscripts.com or www.horrorlair.com are the best!  Check em' out!

DeathbyHighKick wrote:

Wow, I just downloaded Celtx, and it's an awesome little program...thanks Loudlon, +1 for you.

Much obliged, Kick, but proper credit should go to Tim.  It was his post which brought the program to my attention.  All's I did was play yes-man.
lol

Loudlon did you have to wait for your script to be posted and how long?
Shake

that's pretty sweet shake, i look forward to reading it smile whenever it gets posted.

Is there a place on this site to upload the scripts?  It would be nice to see what everyone is working on and possibly post a couple of my own.  Thanks!

From my knowledge there's no place to upload your script on this site, but you can go to like www.simplyscripts.com and upload it there and then post a link on this thread to it and we can all read it from there.  A small hassle, but ultimately the same thing.

Yeah, what he said.

It takes a little while for Don to get the scripts up over at SimplyScripts.  He does them in batches, so depending on how busy he is, the speed rate changes.  All in all, SS is a good place to get your shit read and exposed.

What Tim said, Shake.;)

I'm still new at simply scripts so I don't know the site that well.  Good to know Tim.  Thanks!

LoudLon wrote:
DeathbyHighKick wrote:

Much obliged, Kick, but proper credit should go to Tim.  It was his post which brought the program to my attention.  All's I did was play yes-man.
lol

+1 to you too Tim!  Thanks.

No problem, guys.  That's what I'm here for.  Well, that, and to learn, of course.  big_smile

Yeah I downloaded celtx too and it looks awesome. Haven`t used it yet - but will give it a whirl soon as I am pondering a new screenplay idea about a bipolar woman and her travels.

I might have to give this celtx a try.  I dont like to download things unless others say its ok.

Well, it gets a big OK by me.  big_smile

I uploaded to simplyscripts and I'll post a URL as soon as I have one available.  Thanks for the assist, guys!

gabs1515 wrote:

I might have to give this celtx a try.  I dont like to download things unless others say its ok.

I've been a staunch supporter of Final Draft and have relied on it solely up to now.  Since reading Tim's plug and downloading it day before yesterday, I've rewritten ten pages from a script I'd already been working on. 

I doubt I'd ever turn my back on my FD program (I paid a hundred fifty bucks for the damn thing, and I'm too cheap to spend that kind of money and not use it) but man... I'm loving this CeltX program.

Also be sure to check out Celtx's Project Central.  It's a small fan-like community within Celtx, which is another good way to get your shit read.