Topic: The Thing, Remake, or Sequel,

Over the last few years i,ve heard off and on rumors about ether a remake, or a sequel, is being made to Carpenter's classic remake of The Thing ( http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=2932 ) As it stands it looks like it is going to be more of a sequel, And thats a good thing cause no body could touch what Carpenter did with his remake, Carpenter even speaks of this himself ( http://www.moviehole.net/news/3353.html ) Now i would pick a sequel anyday over a remake, But i think Carpenter should be the one doing it,

Re: The Thing, Remake, or Sequel,

if they do it right it probably won't be bad,it's time for a remake for that one.hopefully the right studio picks it upand does a good job at it..we can only hope.

I love Carpenter's statment about Freddy vs Jason vs Michael...so true.

From an old interview I read with him about THE THING video game in Offical Playstation magizine (will go rooting to see if still have that issue) he mentioned he did like the game and if he was to helm a sequel he would incorporate some elements of the game into the movie.  But, ya never know.

THE THING remains my favorite of Carpenter's films and one of my favorite horror films of all time.  It gave me nightmares when I first saw it back when I was 15 before I got into horror. 

If they are to do a sequel I want Carpenter at the helm or at least him to write it and produce it and get someone to direct who has plenty of sense in thier head, respect for the first, a feel of it and why it worked, and not doing MTV editing.

Amen to that Simatar, The words you speak are true, I could not agree with you more.

mikester wrote:

if they do it right it probably won't be bad,it's time for a remake for that one.hopefully the right studio picks it upand does a good job at it..we can only hope.

Its never the right time to do a remake of this classic film.. Its regarded as one of the best horror films ever. These are the kind of movies you NEVER should consider being remade. They are perfect the way they are and will never need to be improved upon..

Now as long as Carpenter helms the sequel or another competent director jumps on board I can see it being a cool project. A sequel would be nice to see with what happens after the events in the original..

Sequel, Remake, Prequel no matter what they want to do. It just can't work without  John Carpenter and Rob Bottin attached to the project.

MacReady wrote:

It just can't work without  John Carpenter and Rob Bottin attached to the project.

Rob Bottin was the man who made that movie work so well. If his creature FX weren't so amazing the movie would have bombed and John Carpenter might not even be the "Master of Horror" that he is today..

I agree with you Goon about THE THING not being remade.  It is a great horror movie and to remake it would be a bad decision.  Even if you did do it frame for frame and increase the graphics with some stupid CGI it would be really bad.  I say it worked and was brilliant the first time, so why touch it?

As for a sequel, I agree completely with Simatar that John Carpenter should be right in the lead either directing or writing this.  You cannot tamper with the genius of one of the great horror movie directors.  Also, Rob Bottin did an amazing job with the FX.  It has amazing special FX for a movie of its time and even still today.

So in all: remake would be a bad idea, but a sequel, if done right, would be very interesting to see.