Re: Screenwriting

LoudLon wrote:
gabs1515 wrote:

I might have to give this celtx a try.  I dont like to download things unless others say its ok.

I've been a staunch supporter of Final Draft and have relied on it solely up to now.  Since reading Tim's plug and downloading it day before yesterday, I've rewritten ten pages from a script I'd already been working on. 

I doubt I'd ever turn my back on my FD program (I paid a hundred fifty bucks for the damn thing, and I'm too cheap to spend that kind of money and not use it) but man... I'm loving this CeltX program.

COOL - I feel the same when it comes to Final Draft. It's my baby - one thing I like about FD is it is simple to use - after my first peak at Celtx I was impressed with all the jingles and jangles but I think it will just deter me from actually writing. I like the clean white page FD offers - seems Celtx is loud and colourful. Not something I am looking for.

Hey, Bo, how are you!?

Good... cleaning up the Vermin script... posted an older script to simplyscripts and downloaded celtx to give it a look.  All in all, hoping to have that done by the end of the month and start on some new stuff... 

How's production going?

Produstion is moving along slowy...snags with financing contracts are being delt with.
Shake
We really have to get a Screenplays Forum up on this site, Meh! Where we can post our own horror scripts.
S.

If there are enough people writing, our own space would be awesome. 

I know when I had a script moving forward, the whole deal collapsed uner the weight of the financing, which is the most frustrating thing for a writer because it is one thing completely out of your control.

Shakingman wrote:

We really have to get a Screenplays Forum up on this site, Meh! Where we can post our own horror scripts.
S.

I have a temporary solution to this, if Meh doesn't object.

I've altered my Angelfire page to be an unofficial horror-movies.ca script host.  You can email me your script, I'll upload it and provide a link that you can post here for those who wish to read it.

A recommendation, though:  if you want me to host it, make sure you send it to me in PDF format.  There are three reasons for this:

1. Not everybody has Final Draft of CeltX, so they wouldn't be able to view the script.

2. If they do have Final Draft or CeltX, they'll be able to alter your script as they see fit.

3. PDF is pretty much tamper proof, so I won't be accused of trying to steal or alter your stuff. lol

Again, this is dependent upon whether Meh objects or not (and I'm cool with it if you do).  You can take a look at my angelfire page here:
www.angelfire.com/indie/loudlonald

Last edited by LoudLon (2008-01-05 03:09:51)

pending meh's approval, that'd be a great place to submit srips (you spelled scripts wrong on that page) lol had to give you a little crap about it lol

That sounds like a great idea, Lon.  I'm all in.  However, would you object if somebody sent you a script in html format?  Or are you pretty solid on JUST pdf?

Yeah, html is fine.  So long as it's in a format someone anyone could view, it's all good.

gabs1515 wrote:

pending meh's approval, that'd be a great place to submit srips (you spelled scripts wrong on that page) lol

No I didn't.  That's the, uh...Danish spelling.  Yeah.  Danish spelling.  You know how those crazy Danes are.  They have no idea what a "c" is.  It's ridiculous, I know, but, hey, when in Rome.  Or in this case, Dane...

All right, fine, I'll fix it.

gabs1515 wrote:

pending meh's approval, that'd be a great place to submit srips (you spelled scripts wrong on that page) lol had to give you a little crap about it lol

The C is silent - duh!
Hee Hee!
Ha Ha!
Ho Ho!
Hmm.
SHAKE

My FD Version 5 does NOT have the Save As .PDF option. Ok So I bought it in 1999 and .pdf format wasn't invented yet!
How the hell do I convert it to a pdf outside of FD5?

Thank you, thank you very much!
Shake (Rattle and Roll)

I haven't used FD, so I'm not sure.  But, you can always convert it to html.  Works the same, reads the same, just a little less easier to navigate through.

Shake -- well, if you don't want to pay out the anus for a PDF writer...download CeltX and import your script.  It allows you to save in PDF format.

LoudLon wrote:

Shake -- well, if you don't want to pay out the anus for a PDF writer...download CeltX and import your script.  It allows you to save in PDF format.

Then that's what I'll do.
Thanks guys for the advice.
S.

Yeah, or that.  tongue

LoudLon wrote:
gabs1515 wrote:

pending meh's approval, that'd be a great place to submit srips (you spelled scripts wrong on that page) lol

No I didn't.  That's the, uh...Danish spelling.  Yeah.  Danish spelling.  You know how those crazy Danes are.  They have no idea what a "c" is.  It's ridiculous, I know, but, hey, when in Rome.  Or in this case, Dane...

All right, fine, I'll fix it.

Don't you mean its "ridiulous"? hahaha but in all seriousness...its a great idea.

Celtx doesn`t want to work for me - crashes every time I try to load my script into it.

Hmm...maybe this will help.

http://www.dopdf.com/

Free PDF converter.;)

hey, im currently a freshman in college and absolutely love horror. I really wanna get into screenwriting for horror, and wanna go to the ny film acadamy after graduating with my bachelors and get a masters of the fine arts in film making. I really want to start writing some screenplays, to try and get the hang of it all. I was wondering if you guys can give me some begginer tips for breaking into this, ive never written a script before.

g0m4k wrote:

hey, im currently a freshman in college and absolutely love horror. I really wanna get into screenwriting for horror, and wanna go to the ny film acadamy after graduating with my bachelors and get a masters of the fine arts in film making. I really want to start writing some screenplays, to try and get the hang of it all. I was wondering if you guys can give me some begginer tips for breaking into this, ive never written a script before.

I'm just figuring it all out myself...without any schooling or much writing experience.  I'm hoping for "natural" talent lol.  Oh well its just a hobby, if it goes somewhere I'll be happy.

g0m4k wrote:

You will get a million different pointless tips from different people all depending on where they learned to write. Just find you a book to learn the basics (Screenwriting for dummies is fine and dandy..lol)  and then shape your craft in your own voice. Someone will tell you one thing is a RULE and then someone will tell you the opposite. You can also gain insight via peer reviews on sites like www.zoetrope.com .. a lot of fledgling writers and produced writers alike tend to praise their experiences there.

so i downloaded celtx...wow thats a lot better than fiddling around with it in word.  Thanks for the tip.  I'm just wondering how its free tho....since most other programs i've heard of cost hundreds of dollars.

i guess ill have to make a trip to my local library then. Hopefully ill have my first script written within the next 6 months-a year for u guys to tell me how it is smile

There are some fantastic recommended books on this thread as well - pick some up and READ them - also start reading scripts - there are numerous sites where you can download them for free.

And the biggest tip: WRITE!!!
It's a lonely profession - get used to it!
Shake

Last edited by Shakingman (2008-01-06 13:26:19)

g0m4k wrote:

My advice would be to read scripts.  Go to a screenwriting site and just read, read, read.  That's what got me started.

www.simplyscripts.com (everything)
www.horrorlair.com (horror)

OK, I've successfully converted my script into a .pdf file now how do I get it into here?
Teach me once and the knowledge is mine for ever!
smile
Shake