Earlier in the week I was watching the Mothers Day remake and it had a particular scene which annoyed the crap out of me.
Overall its a great film but the scene that irked me involved the cast running into a garage to pick up an air nailer and using it as a machine gun against the villains.
Where I live these devices have pressure switches to make sure you cant do this and this blatant falsehood got me thinking of the most annoying horror movie clichés.
I asked our readers what the most annoying horror movie cliches are and this list is a compilation of all the answers as well as some of my own.
- When someone is trapped in someway, for example tied up on a chair and the killer is about torture the victim they always plead: You don’t have to do this. or: Why are you doing this? ISN’T IT F*CKIN’ OBVIOUS!!? HE’S A PSYCHO! And I think he knows that he doesn’t have to do this, he just wants to.
- How whenever kids go into the woods it’s the silicon pumped stupid girls, the a**hole football guy, the black guy, the nerdy guy, and the guy & girl next door. Guess who survives? And also fall in love
- There can be literally zombies shambling all around you and nobody believes you that zombies are really attacking.
- Girls screaming while running away. I’m sorry but if someone/something is chasing me, I’m not going to be screaming. Also, have you ever tried screaming and running?
- When somebody is hiding from a killer they cant keep quiet they always have to whimper or cry just loud enough to be heard.
- Zombies that run when rigor mortis would clearly prevent a dead body from running or chasing anybody
- All scenes where a cat jumps and ‘scares’ people
- The last survivor is always a woman. Men are somehow not capable of surviving a horror movie
- Where the killer is behind them in the bathroom or suddenly appears in the mirror.
- Nail Guns being used as Machine Guns.
- People who run upstairs from the villain instead of out the front/back door
- People who shoot the villain once instead of emptying the clip into them like any normal sane person would do.
- Door knobs that suddenly stop working because you’re in a horror movie or people who suddenly cant figure out how to turn a door knob to open a door.
- People who trip and fall for no obvious reason and can’t get backup when running from the villain
- A victim running away for some reason always a hot woman, while the villain walks but can keep up
- Car doors that stop bullets
- Cars that explode when their gas tanks are shot
- People who have never fired a gun before yet somehow become experts in seconds knowing not only how to hold the gun but also how to cock it and turn off the safety.
- Yelling out ‘is anybody here’ in an empty room after you have just escaped from an axe wielding maniac
- Cars that wont start until the villain has the door handle in his hand.
- People who go to investigate a strange noise, because there is for some reason doubt that yep its still the killer
- When people are stabbed they always bleed from the mouth
- People who monologue for 20 minutes before ….. gasping….. and dramatically collapsing.
- In a society of guns there are never guns around when the killer is
- How easily people get their necks broken
- Victims who bang on a door screaming let me out, as if the villain will somehow have a change of heart and let them go
- Struggling single moms are always ridiculously hot and have perfect teeth and expensive hair
- Survivors who walk over the villains body and get their ankle grabbed
- Checking if a killer is dead after being terrorized by them for the entire film.
- The fact there is never cell reception when the sh*t hits the fan.
- Guns that hold 5o rounds and never ever need to be reloaded
- Guns that jam and stop working when the killer arrives
- People that throw away guns when they run out of ammo as though it’s somehow better to need to re-fund the gun and more ammo versus just finding more ammo.
- How nobody in a zombie movie has ever seen a zombie movie.
- No one ever goes to the bathroom
- How Busta rhymes can somehow beat Michael Myers in a fight where so many better men and women could not
- Cars with keys left under the visor, really who does that?
- Well trained killers can’t shoot for sh*t against the star of the movie no matter how well-trained the killers are.
- Blood in swimming pools stays red instead of turning green.
- Anything medical related.
- Survivor movies where people are clean and well-groomed. No hairy legs or arm pit hair on the ladies, perfect teeth and well-groomed hair. Yeah really roughing it.
- When movies end Ambulance always rush to bring the one miracle medical item survivors of horror need most…. blankets.
- Groups that split up in a movie because somehow its better to go one on one with a killer than fight as a group.
- Objects that fall from buildings and catch up with other things. Gravity is somehow not constant
- People who jump through plate-glass windows without any kind of injury
- Everything from cabin in the woods
- Loud explosions in space. Because in space nobody can hear you scream but they can hear you blow up somehow.
- Clawing at hands with a bag on your head instead of poking a hole in the bag
- Happy endings
- Really bad and completely random twist endings that serve no other purpose then to setup a sequel. Even more annoying then the must have happy ending.
- The fact that in most horror movies women are either super sluts or nuns.
- If you have sex or get naked you are going to die.
- The virgin always lives
What did we miss? Leave your own and we will just keep growing this list of bad horror movie clichés.