Happy Friday the 13th! It’s such a wonderful holiday for us die hard horror fans. Also, I love that the first thing people ask me on this glorious day is “Stacy, what should I watch tonight?” Besides the obvious, of course? Here, let me help.
Vampires, serial killers, creatures, zombies… try to pick a little bit of everything, and be sure to pace yourself. Tell you what, I plan on marathoning to celebrate, perhaps you join me? Here’s what’s teed up in the queue:
10. Trick ‘r Treat
It’s not about the rules of horror movies – it’s about the rules of Halloween. This is a brilliant short and sweet anthology of intertwined stories designed to give the Halloween ‘rules’ a new dimension.
9. Queen of the Damned
The vampire Lestat rises and becomes a rock star whose music wakes up the queen of all vampires. Why didn’t I pick Interview with the Vampire? Because I prefer my vampires to not be Tom Cruise. [No offense, Tom Cruise. I know you’re a fan of my lists.] I also have a soft spot for the soundtrack.
Three skiers are stranded on a chairlift and forced to make life-or-death choices that prove more perilous than staying put and freezing to death, and it’s SO TERRIFYING. I rightfully avoided the mixed bag of reviews with this one and was pleasantly surprised.
7. An American Werewolf in London
Two American tourists in Britain are attacked by a werewolf that none of the locals will admit exists. The irony! Don’t be surprised, you know John Landis made this. And you’re not a real fan if the werewolf transformation scene doesn’t make your list of most awesome things, ever.
A guy inadvertantly breaks 3 important rules concerning his new pet and unleashes a horde of malevolently mischievous monsters on a small town. Comedy? Holiday favorite? What the what? This is SCARY. I attribute 95% of my fear to the score. The other 5% to this movie not being watched enough.
5. Day of the Dead
A small group of military officers and scientists dwell in an underground bunker as the world above is overrun by zombies. I could have chosen from eleventy billion other zombie movies, I know. I enjoy the gore in this one the best. [Wink, wink, Tom Savini.]
Pages: Continue Reading »