Clive Barker Enraged Over New Hellraiser Movie

Chris Savage 45 Comments

Clive Barker Enraged Over New Hellraiser MovieWell, the upcoming sequel, Hellraiser: Revelations has recently had its trailer debuted and it is an insult to true fans of the franchise and to the original creator, Clive Barker. As a result, Barker has let his opinions known via his Twitter page this morning.

“Hello,my friends. I want to put on record that the flic out there using the word Hellraiser IS NO FUCKIN’ CHILD OF MINE!” “I have NOTHING to do with the fuckin’ thing. If they claim its from the mind of Clive Barker,it’s a lie. It’s not even from my butt-hole.”

I think that brilliantly sets the tone of the film. I don’t blame him for being angry, having his name associated to something that was purely created to keep the franchise rights. Although, I do feel sorry for the filmmakers who tried to salvage what they could in the short amount of time handed to them by, Dimension Films.

Ultimately, they should have turned a blind eye and not agree to try and create something which was never going to work. Anyway, Barker has shared his two cents, what say you?

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLTaFY-hMzA&feature=youtu.be

20 Best Horror Films of 2011 Gallery: Best Walking Dead Zombie Kills! 30 Worst Horror Films Of All Time

1. Lunatik1739 August 21, 2011 at 4:13 pm

You know we’re gonna see it anyways, just ’cause it’s a horror movie…

And wait… at the end, it’s written “Presented ina double feature with Zombie Diaries 2″. I have the first one, what is that supposed to mean?

• HorrorMovies August 21, 2011 at 4:15 pm

i will never see this garbage but you make a very valid point. why is it with zombie diaries 2? Is that movie just as horrible? The first one as you correctly point out is a great film!

• Stump2502 August 22, 2011 at 4:07 am

It’s more likely that Zombie Diaries 2 is good so they’re piggy backing Hellraiser on it to try and justify making it in the first place.  I love the Hellraiser franchise but this looks like a pile of garbage.  Of course, like has been said, I’ll probably have a look at it but there is only one Pinhead and that’s Doug Bradley so to me a Hellraiser film without him is no Hellraiser film at all!

• HorrorMovies August 22, 2011 at 12:46 pm

your likely bang on.

2. Anonymous August 21, 2011 at 4:24 pm

LOL, awesome comment.

3. Yolt13 August 21, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I’m not a proponent of the “I’ll never see this crap!” approach to new horror films that look awful, because it too closely mirrors the argument that “I don’t have to see that violent/sexual/controversial movie to know that it’s sinful and disgusting!” argument made by people who advocate censorship. I’ll never pay to see this, and I will undoubtedly hate it when I do see it. But one can;t speak in an educated way about why a movie fails to miss the mark unless one has actually seen the movie. Lord knows, the internet doesn’t need any more uninformed opinions. And having sat through HELLWORLD, I’m at least reasonably confident that the series couldn’t get much farther from Barker’s story than it already has.

• zeggacis February 28, 2013 at 11:19 pm

HellWorld was by far …the best sequel..

4. TheDude August 21, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Frankly after some of the other crappy Hellraiser sequels Clive Barker has no room to talk now.

• SevenUnearth August 21, 2011 at 5:17 pm

I got to admit that you’re right, in fact I saw every single Hellraiser and in my opinion, they all suck with no exception. Sorry Clive but you’re not that good. This one though look even more bad. Abandon this franchise and start something else, it’s the best to do.

• Elemjay August 22, 2011 at 1:17 pm

You ARE aware of the fact that Clive Barker was really only involved in the first two movies? The third movie and forward only credits him for CHARACTERS, he actually had nothing to do with them what so ever… And as an EP, which is basically that they used his characters and credited him to not get in trouble.
          So lay of the Clive, it’s not his fault that people make shitty movies based on characters he created…

• SevenUnearth August 22, 2011 at 11:09 pm

No I didn’t know that, I presumed that some were not from him but didn’t thougth he made only 2 of them. Why did it get so far then? Does these sequels sell that much? Maybe they’re simply not my kind of movie.

• Elemjay August 23, 2011 at 5:15 pm

You could ask that when it comes to many of the classic horror movies. Friday 13th, Halloween, Nightmare… As long as you have one solid character that people really like (in this case Pinhead) you can pretty much suck it absolutely dry because the fans will keep hoping for at least ONE MORE good movie. Unfortunately, it probably won’t happen.
          This will probably (hopefully?) be the last Hellraiser until they remake the first one (and Barker has said that he would like to do it with modern techniques which I personally think would be awesome!), and seeing which way the franchise has turned I say good riddance. And now that Doug Bradley isn’t onboard anymore I really can’t see any reason for this to go on.

As for Barkers involvement, he wrote and directed the first (he wrote the screenplay based on his own novel The Hellbound Heart), and wrote the script for the second.
          The only movie except these two that he approved of in any way was number four, Hellraiser: Bloodline. He read the original script and thought it was cool, and then they rewrote it and butchered it and made a crappy movie that Barker didn’t like… It had potential though, but imho they should have focused on the “past” section, telling the story of the box and just go deeper into the history. Now it just comes of as sloppy and tries to juggle three stories in one movie – including “Pinhead in space”. Horrible!

Well, I’m gonna stop ranting now. But I can sincerly recommend reading at least one of his books. If you’re not that into reading, try one of the Books of Blood. They contain awesome short stories! You can also look up some of Barkers artwork on the web – you’ll be in for a horror treat! :)

• SevenUnearth August 23, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Thx for the recommendations

5. Anonymous August 21, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Giving an honest take on the First two are fairly top notch minus some errors here and there.  Three took a new direction and focused on Doug Bradley as Pinhead.  The 4th one is tedious to me and has three stories crammed in to 1.  Inferno I quite enjoy despite Clive hating it.  It has pretty good reviews on IMDB so I guess its up to you.  Hellseeker I think is a solid mind bending story.  Deader is pretty grusome as well.  Hellworld is just mindless entertainment.  But this recent one due to how cheap it looks and how this new Pinhead looks overweight, just flat out annoys me.

6. Davejr August 21, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Why mess with a good thing? Oh I forgot, it’s Hollyweird – not genetically disposed to “not eff with it”

7. whitecrowstudio.ca August 21, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Wow, looking at the trailer makes me think more of a Fan made B movie. The Hellraiser franchise has truly hit the bottom with this latest instalment.It’s a shame because one of the movie that truly would deserve a fresh remake with a AAA budget is Hellraiser. With cool CGI Hellworld could really rock my world!

8. Darkeva August 22, 2011 at 4:52 am

um, I’m sorry, but wtf is this crap? the only things that even vaguely resemble the original plot of HELLRAISER are Lemarchande’s box and that lame attempt at Pinhead and the Cenobites. Is any of this other shit even related to the original? Way to fuck another remake up, Hollywood.

9. shiyongseng August 22, 2011 at 5:42 am

The Zombie Diaries 2 wasn’t anything special.  I t looked like there were two Pinheads?  The new guy got initiated?  They couldn’t come up with something original?… … …

10. irishboyd August 22, 2011 at 9:08 am

Fuckin hell….. i absolutely refuse to watch this bullshit. They fuck up freddy…make jason run… i mean just stop and write a new movie. Mr. Barker continue on your quest to remake the original like youve been trying. I would personally love to rip the soul apart of whoever made this garbage. There are alot of angry words coming to mind being a Barker fan most of my life… im just at a loss of words after what i have written…

• SevenUnearth August 22, 2011 at 11:13 pm

I got to say that I was really hyped when I first saw Jason run toward his prey on the ground. Too bad the movie was not what it should have been, just like freddy.

11. Killshark August 22, 2011 at 1:30 pm

To “TheDude” and “SevenUnearth” – Barker was only involved in writing the first 2 movies. And to state he’s not that good? Have you ever read his books? The man is an absolute GENIUS.

• SevenUnearth August 22, 2011 at 11:30 pm

No I never read any of his book, he’s probably better as a writer. What else did he make as movies that come from his book cause I don’t really like to read. I tried His last game though (I think it’s the last one) Clive Barker’s Jericho and even the game is boring. It could have been interesting if the gameplay was better or as a 8 players cooperative game. But Undying was pretty fun to play when it came out.

Anyway for the movies, in my opinion, his best movie is night breed and it looks more like an horror comedy than really horror.

12. pinkzombieprincess August 22, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Sorry Killshark..I agree..read a Richard Laymon book and tell me Clive Barker writes a good horror novel lol..unfortunately..hes just not that talented.

• Killshark August 22, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I’ve read Richard Laymon, he is great as well. As well as Richard Lumley, Richard Matheson… They are all talented. I simply don’t like hack directors and screenwriters who take principle concepts and turn them into visual diarrhea.

13. Diana Trees August 22, 2011 at 4:19 pm

The preview’s pretty crappy. I’ll wait for it to go to DVD/Netflix before I bother.

14. Diana Trees August 22, 2011 at 4:19 pm

• Elemjay August 23, 2011 at 5:17 pm

You won’t have to wait. It’ll be a straight to dvd release – I’m not at all surprised.

15. Fishybastard August 23, 2011 at 8:23 am

Well…erm…hmm…
        I’ll probably watch it, as a fan of Hellraiser and because i am starving for any pinhead material. But…isn’t it a shame that hollywood will remake Spiderman, Fright Night and Robocop but they won’t throw any decent money at a Hellraiser remake and instead we get this?. Maybe the story will save it, i hope.

16. Lemmingski August 23, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Looks like a fan film made for release direct to YouTube.

17. Saintmedusa August 23, 2011 at 4:37 pm

This is a joke right? Pinhead looks like a redneck methcook in a bad Halloween costume….. This is truly an insult

18. Saintmedusa August 23, 2011 at 4:39 pm

I find nothing intriguing or exciting about this.. As a Clive Barker fan and Hellraiser fan I will NOT be seeing this trash

19. David Flack August 23, 2011 at 8:00 pm

shouldn’t have done a series should have just left it at “Hellraiser” like the ” Howling ” series although admittedly not quite as bad as those all the other “Hellraiser”  films are poor and i hated the second film.

20. Steve Walker August 24, 2011 at 9:27 am

Well it’s a shitty looking pinhead that’s for sure, but the film doesn’t look that bad, HOWEVER………. Doug is Pinhead and that’s all there is to it, no Doug, no Pinhead, no Hellraiser

21. Hugo August 25, 2011 at 3:22 am

If they wanted to attract all the fans of Hellraiser, why not make “The Damnation Game” into a movie, and promote it with “from the writer of Hellraiser” instead?

22. Axe Maniac August 25, 2011 at 10:49 am

If I were Clive I would sue to have my name disassociated with this lump of shit. It being billed as a double feature with Zombie Diaries 2 is all that needed to be said about this abortion. How about we let Clive do what he wants with his creation, and failing that, we remember the greatness of the first movies. Even though I did kind of like Hellseeker and Inferno, so I guess I’m a hypocrite.

23. DarrenJSeeley August 25, 2011 at 1:16 pm

And y’know what? I bet Zombie Diaries 2 isn’t as bad as the quick knockoff here that piggybacks with it. (Well, I didn’t say great, just “not as bad”)   :p

24. C_r_bartlett August 25, 2011 at 5:13 pm

what in the blue fuck is this? this is an insult to anyone with eyes, not to mention an affront to the great clive barker. the trailer was almost physicaly painful to watch, so if suffering is to define this movie, it’s going to be most accuratly portrayed by the audiance.

25. Bill Fugate August 28, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Pinhead always looked like the movie monster all the other movie monsters made fun of in school; he wears a dress, for God’s sake. Clive Barker can cry all the way to the bank.

26. Mutt Martin August 31, 2011 at 2:37 am

Really guys? Fucking Pinhead and Son? The effects I saw from the trailer could hardly be called special and to be honest, I’m really not sure I wanna see this if the trailer is an accurate representation of the movie…

27. Jenomoto October 3, 2011 at 11:02 pm

This looks likes some film student Hellraiser fans decided to make a fan film and film it inside one of their mums houses and some local crappy bar. How is this supposed to make money? I guess Pinhead has been eating too many carbs lately.

28. Shirleyann8550 October 15, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Nothing like the originals…I own them all but have no desire to see the new one. You can tell Pinhead isn’t the same person, that’s a stopper for me! I like the old Pinhead, congrats Clive Barker!

29. Abbazabamonster November 6, 2011 at 5:21 am

Fuck that! I want my Clive and Doug

30. Beth Ortiz June 19, 2012 at 2:22 am

that movie sucked so bad i was pissed off I am a huge fan of hell raiser I saw all of your movies they were fantastic but the revaluations sucked so bad i knew you didn’t make that short ass movie you make the best gore horror films ever and until today i still watch them over and over  clive barker you are the best ever.

31. Ben Mcfarland July 9, 2012 at 8:15 am

i watched it. i think the point of the movie was let the audience experience the pain that pinhead so endearinly speaks of. i honestly thought it was some kind of fan made film. frankly id open the damn cube before id watch it again.

32. phil strachan August 4, 2013 at 11:42 am

agree with it all it is an insult to clive barker ,doug bradley and the rest of the crew who did the original.
        the twats who wrecked the original films should be given to the cenobites